GWR Saddle Tank

Started by Jollybob, October 05, 2015, 11:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

portland-docks

Quote from: Jollybob on October 16, 2015, 01:39:25 PM
Hi everyone.
Good news, I spoke to Dave Slater today and he told me that all his n gauge kits are available. His GWR saddle tank is priced at £35.50 + £4.50 p&p. So I'm sending a cheque off now.

:thumbsup:

where can i find this said kit? is it the same saddle tank we are discussing or is it different?

paul
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Jollybob

Quote from: portland-docks on October 16, 2015, 02:24:26 PM
Quote from: Jollybob on October 16, 2015, 01:39:25 PM
Hi everyone.
Good news, I spoke to Dave Slater today and he told me that all his n gauge kits are available. His GWR saddle tank is priced at £35.50 + £4.50 p&p. So I'm sending a cheque off now.

:thumbsup:

where can i find this said kit? is it the same saddle tank we are discussing or is it different?

paul

Hi Paul, Technically what we are talking about is the GWR 1854 class 0-6-0ST built as 1701-1720 as Lot 85 in 1891.
Thank you to Wikipedia for that;  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_1854_Class

Thanks to the other members on this forum I discovered that Dean Sidings makes a resin kit in N gauge.

Regards

Rob.

portland-docks

dean sidings?  ???

does he have a website or anything?

paul
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Jollybob

Quote from: Karhedron on October 08, 2015, 11:58:01 AM
Dave is still around but he does not have a website so snail mail or phone are your options for contacting him.

Dean Sidings
No1 The Langetts
Bream Road
St. Briavels
Gloucestershire
GL15 6TL

01594 530405 (I think this is the current number)

Kit is for a 1701 class saddle tank of 1891 vintage and does indeed fit the Farish Pannier or Jinty chassis.

Someone had a crack at one on RMWeb a while back.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/748/entry-8526-saddle-tank-part-1/

Afraid not. I wrote a letter to him and got a reply about a week later. I gave him a call today after his reply and now he has put a kit to one aside for me. His details are in the quote above.

Rob.

alibuchan

The 813 kit that Will J did on rmweb has been through the mill a bit with shapeways constantly rejecting the prints.

Last I was aware of a print in brass was being looked at to try and get the weight in to it to make the terrier chassis run nicely.

I will ask the question where its up too when I see him either next weekend or the week after.

Alistair

alibuchan

Heavily hacked Dapol terrier chassis, to within an inch if it's life, so that it just about holds the motor in place.

Alistair

Jollybob

It sounds like a very interesting project but I don't know if I would have the testicular fortitude to try it.  :worried:

Rob

Jollybob

:hellosign:

Hi everyone, good news my order from Dean Sidings just arrived and I will do a review on it.
But before I start, can anyone tell tell me what is the best paint for GWR green around 1930's/40's era?

Rob.

Karhedron

That is a tricky question. The official colour for this period was mid-chrome green. However painted tended to be mixed in batches at workshops so there was some variation and weathering could affect the result. For an official match, Railmatch or Precision paints are a good bet. However they are expensive and the railmatch aerosols are prone to clogging.

Humbrol make a GWR green in acrylic which is easy to use but I find the colour is not a good match. It is too grey and also gives a slightly rough and patchy finish.

My personal advice would be Land Rover Bronze Green in a spray can from Halfords. :whisper: I believe this is what Malcolm Mitchell recommends. The photos below show it looks like a pretty good match. For what it is worth, Hornby, Bachmann and Dapol all have their own versions of GWR green which do not match each other perfectly and sometimes vary between their own production runs.  :confused1:

In short, a good close match that gives a good finish is probably going to give a better result than endlessly trying to work out what is the "correct" shade for GWR green. ;)

Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations