Ford Focus Ecoboost 125.... Any owners or experiences out there?

Started by Skyline2uk, December 12, 2017, 08:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skyline2uk

Evening all

So myself and the Mrs are looking for our next car.

This will only be my 4th car and only the second time dealing with a dealer....

Considering investing quite a sum of money (for me) into this used car, so I am nervous.

Research and reading plus my experience with my current car have led me back to Ford, specifically the Focus and it's new(ish) Ecoboost engines.

Last Friday I test drove the 125 version and was suitably impressed, but the dealer wouldn't come within £400 of what I wanted to spend so walked away.

There are a couple of examples advertised on the net with the spec, mileage and age combination I am after, but not local enough.

So, whilst I wait/search for the next potential candidate, I ask the Forum:

Does anybody have one of these / had one of these / experienced one of these?

Known issues online range from the catastrophic (but related to a recall that hadn't been done) to the silly (some guy couldn't get the indicators to self-cancel?!).

Skyline2uk

Newportnobby

Can't help you with the Focus, but have the Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost 100 Titanium so if I can help with anything suitable let me know.

Skyline2uk

Thanks Nobby

That's the same basic block so general experience would help.

How long have you had it/ how old is it would you mind me asking?

Skyline2uk

Newportnobby

It's just over 2 years old and I've had it from new. Only 999cc but turbocharged engine so stirring the gearbox is a must but Ford do make excellent gearboxes. I paid to have the Sony DAB radio/satnav fitted but digital radio is fairly useless up here. I also paid extra to have a 'skinny' spare wheel rather than a compressor to inject crap into the tyre if it gets punctured. No problem cruising on motorways at (il)legal speed and on a long run I get around 48-50mpg (petrol). No road tax.
No problems encountered so far although the engine cut out/restart takes a bit of getting used to at first. In current weather conditions the heated front windscreen is a boon! The 'dimming' rear view mirror is also an excellent option but standard on the Titanium.
My only dislike is the intermittent windscreen wipers have a control supposedly allowing you to decide how often they make a sweep but it is, in fact, controlled by a sensor up by the rear view mirror which controls the speed of the wipers dependent on the amount of rain hitting it. Therefore I can twiddle the adjuster as much as I want to no avail ::)
Go for the highest spec you can afford.
I have owned/had as company car 3 Mondeos, a Focus and 2 x Fiestas
Hope this helps.
P.S. Twice I've taken it to Ford (Evans Halshaw) for service and have drooled over the Mondeo Vignale

Skyline2uk

Quote from: newportnobby on December 12, 2017, 09:53:58 PM
It's just over 2 years old and I've had it from new. Only 999cc but turbocharged engine so stirring the gearbox is a must but Ford do make excellent gearboxes. I paid to have the Sony DAB radio/satnav fitted but digital radio is fairly useless up here. I also paid extra to have a 'skinny' spare wheel rather than a compressor to inject crap into the tyre if it gets punctured. No problem cruising on motorways at (il)legal speed and on a long run I get around 48-50mpg (petrol). No road tax.
No problems encountered so far although the engine cut out/restart takes a bit of getting used to at first. In current weather conditions the heated front windscreen is a boon! The 'dimming' rear view mirror is also an excellent option but standard on the Titanium.
My only dislike is the intermittent windscreen wipers have a control supposedly allowing you to decide how often they make a sweep but it is, in fact, controlled by a sensor up by the rear view mirror which controls the speed of the wipers dependent on the amount of rain hitting it. Therefore I can twiddle the adjuster as much as I want to no avail ::)
Go for the highest spec you can afford.
I have owned/had as company car 3 Mondeos, a Focus and 2 x Fiestas
Hope this helps.
P.S. Twice I've taken it to Ford (Evans Halshaw) for service and have drooled over the Mondeo Vignale

Wow, so a job offer from Autocar magazine expected any time soon then?

I have a previous generation Fiesta with those wipers, agree they can be odd!

Heard DAB can be hit and miss, but seeing as it's standard on Focus's (Foci?!) with the 125 engine it's not an option for me! The one I test drove worked on two random stations, suppose I should check it picks up something I like!

Focus 1.0 Eco has £20 road tax, the 125 I want is £30.

Your experience with gearbox stirring also ties with my drive and research. Certainly had no issues with the one I sampled (six speeder, short throw number).

Heard some people complaining about a short clutch life, assume yours is holding up well?

Skyline2uk

Dalek

Skyline2uk

Quote from: Dalek on December 12, 2017, 10:14:03 PM
This is a good site to do some research on.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/

Thanks sir

I did read his (their?) review. Different opionion on Power / Grunt available to Autocar and car buyer.

Appreciate the reccomendation though  :thumbsup:

Skyline2uk

Cazadoom

cant say about the 125 as i have the ST but the new focus itself is a great car,

I had the 125 fiesta which was a great car!!

Is the engine not a bit small for the bigger car ?

Skyline2uk

Quote from: cazadoom on December 12, 2017, 10:50:10 PM
cant say about the 125 as i have the ST but the new focus itself is a great car,

I had the 125 fiesta which was a great car!!

Is the engine not a bit small for the bigger car ?

This was my primary concern as yes, a one litre seems very small for a Focus sized car. In fact the whole engine block fits on an A4 piece of paper  :goggleeyes:

However, it's not size it's power and 125hp is ok for the Focus which itself is lighter than the previous generation. It certainly felt adaquate on my test drive.

What I am looking for (if possible) is somebody who has put some miles on this engine, to gauge longer term reliability?

Skyline2uk

njee20

As you identify, with rain sensing wipers that's not the frequency of intermittent wipe, it's the sensitivity of the automatic wipers. Don't drive a Ford, but on all cars I've driven with rain sensing wipers there's been an appreciable difference. On my own Golf at one extreme they'll go onto double speed if someone spits within 50ft at one extreme, and stubbornly refuse to work at all in a tornado at t'other.

The concern about small capacity engines with large turbos is more the reliance on that turbo, which is having to work rather hard. I wouldn't want to buy a 1 litre engine with 125bhp and 100k miles on it.

Skyline2uk

QuoteThe concern about small capacity engines with large turbos is more the reliance on that turbo, which is having to work rather hard. I wouldn't want to buy a 1 litre engine with 125bhp and 100k miles on it.

This is my main lingering issue. I am looking for as low mileage as possible. FYI that turbo spins at 200,000rpm plus!

Skyline2uk

Dsolds

I can't offer as much as the above having never owned one personally. But I have had one as a long term loaner from a garage whilst my car's engine was replaced under warranty (long story). I had the thing for 7 weeks.

What I will tell you is this. Focus 1.0 ecoboost, manual. Very driveable if you are prepared to work the gearbox although I found it a pain. I drive automatics wherever possible but as manuals go this box is positive, easy to use and you can get some slick changes unlike a lot of the other stuff out there. You do need to keep the revs up to stay on power but that is to be expected from a tiny engine with a huge reliance on turbocharging. Fuel economy is a dream though, very frugal indeed. I was averaging almost 60mpg on my commute and I don't exactly drive with economy in mind.  :hmmm:

Comfortable and easy to drive long distances, and this is not a "given" in this sector. Try doing the same in a French made car of similar size and you'll probably be booking in at an Osteopath. I was commuting 100 miles each way at the time (1000 miles a week!) and not once did I feel stiff or uncomfortable. The suspension does leave a bit to be desired on poor surfaces though, it can get a bit thrashy.

As for trim and toys, can't offer much. This one seemed to have loads of gizmos most of which I never used. Heated front screen was good, radio worked best on FM but then I don't tend to use DAB even where it is fitted as the range can be a pain. FM just keeps the signal a lot longer.

Would I buy one? Yes, at the right price. It really is a decent way to travel. It's the whole pricing thing which bugs me at the moment though. Was looking at a Ssangyong to pull my caravan recently on the basis of it being cheap and cheerful, which it turned out not to be. To me it's a cheap far eastern import thing which would do a job. The dealer actually believed I was going to pay 37 grand for one. Deluded is one word, along with a choice of colourful adjective to accompany it. From where I sit it needs to be sub 20k, and it does seem entirely possible to spend this on a Fiesta now. It's a mad world.

Newportnobby

Quote from: njee20 on December 13, 2017, 08:04:23 AM

As you identify, with rain sensing wipers that's not the frequency of intermittent wipe, it's the sensitivity of the automatic wipers. Don't drive a Ford, but on all cars I've driven with rain sensing wipers there's been an appreciable difference. On my own Golf at one extreme they'll go onto double speed if someone spits within 50ft at one extreme, and stubbornly refuse to work at all in a tornado at t'other.

That sums it up very nicely :laughabovepost:
I really do find it a pain int th'arse as it removes control from a driver (not boasting here) with more knowledge of when to wipe the screen or not and at what speed :unimpressed:

njee20

Fair enough. I love rain sensing wipers myself, just one less thing to think about, you can always give the stick a little flick if you think they need doing.

Skyline2uk

@Dsolds

Appreciate your input, again it seems to be correlating with the majority of feedback and reading I have done.

Re price; I find myself coming back to Ford time and again on this. I actually looked at Kia because hire cars I have had seemed well built BUT that seems to be because they are priced like Ford, Vauxhall etc. And tech wise, this engine seems to put Ford ahead IF it lasts like the more conventional 4 pots of old.

I will let everybody know if and when one appears at Skyline towers.

Skyline2uk

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations