Double track catenary - current UK outline

Started by Pengi, April 17, 2012, 07:02:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD35

Does anyone else find the Dapol masts a bit short?  I bought some at the weekend and it seems they would be the right height if the ground was at the same level as the rails but doesn't take into account the depth of the sleepers or the ballast under the sleepers.

edwin_m

The overhead contact wire is normally about 32mm from top of rail (less under some bridges and more over level crossings).  How high are the bottom of the Dapol register arms above "ground" level?

SD35

Yes, its only 32mm from the bottom of the arm to the top of the base which is 1mm thick. Could have done with an extra 5mm really. I imagine I'll find a solution.

edwin_m

The supports sit on a base which often projects a bit above ground level and can be either square (concrete) or round (metal pile).  You could possibly use a bit of square or round tube underneath the base as supplied, so as to raise it up a bit. 

SD35

Aye, I bought more than I needed so I may have to butcher one or two to extend the length of a few of the others.  One end of the layout will have a similar embankment to the one on this guy's photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/neil_harvey_railway_photos/7165943528/#

EtchedPixels

I found this too and they catch on some of the dummy pantographs I have.

In my current Shapeways job is a pack of 3d printed 5mm high "concrete" blocks with beveled top edges and a central hole for the mast.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Pengi

I have a pack of the Dapol masts but have not yet fitted them. Presumably they will be ok for my 1:160 trains without modification?
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

SD35

I think you should be fine if all your track is on the flat.  I just set a couple up in the storage yard at 32.5mm above the track and it looks ok:

I'll need to use a bit of a washer or something on the embankments though.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Pendy on June 18, 2012, 07:12:28 PM
I have a pack of the Dapol masts but have not yet fitted them. Presumably they will be ok for my 1:160 trains without modification?

For the eurostar at least  you need a few mm more. The continental stuff designed to use actual wire (eg Fleischmann) you'll need to pin the pantographs down part way somehow.

Alan

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

sawyerm1982

Quote from: Mustermark on April 28, 2012, 12:42:31 AM
Quote from: Pendy on April 26, 2012, 07:48:13 AM
Thanks, I have no experience of using etched brass - going to do some research on that. I also have another slight issue, that my electrics are 1:160 scale but my layout is 'just for fun' so I am going to have to ignore that (seen the price of the continental cat systems)

Pendy, i had little experience of etched brass but i found these portals quite easy to do... Trick is you need to buy two formers from N Brass to go with them... One is for the gantry and the other is for the legs. You wrap the fine brass sheet around the former and Bob's your uncle.  Dab of super glue gel. Spray with grey primer. I used these for my signal gantries. :thumbsup:

I wil second what Mustermark said - buy the brass formers and constructing the N Brass portals is fairly easy - i soldered mine and find that as long as they are securely fastened to the baseboard they are remarkably strong and will withstand a fairly hard knock.

Good luck - i would go for it and get the masts/catenary installed!

mike

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations