What Era do you model?

Started by PGN, August 14, 2015, 09:21:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PGN

I thought it might be interesting to know how many of us model each Era. These were unilaterally defined by Bachmann as follows:

Era 1: Pioneering, 1804 - 1875
Era 2: Pre-Grouping, 1875 - 1922
Era 3: Big 4, 1923 - 1947
Era 4: British Railways, early emblem, 1948 - 1956
Era 5: British Railways, late emblem, 1957 - 1966
Era 6: British Railways blue, pre TOPS, 1967 - 1971
Era 7: British Railways blue, TOPS era, 1972 - 1982
Era 8: British Railways, sectorisation, 1983 - 1994
Era 9: post privatization, 1995 onwards

I appreciate that these eras are exclusively geared to the British-outline modeler, and may not suit those who model the overseas prototype. But I have allowed you up to five votes each, to cater for those who model more than one era, so if you model an overseas epoch which doesn't map precisely onto these eras, you can cast as many vote as you need to cover the period which you do actually model.
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

glenng

[smg id=28142 type=full align=center caption="Model Railway Rules"]

PGN

Those who do not model any particular era shall be deemed to have voted for all eras. Since these votes cancel out, they obviously do not need actually to be cast ...
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

railsquid

Voted according to my core interest.

johnlambert

Quote from: railsquid on August 14, 2015, 12:45:23 PM
Voted according to my core interest.

Wot he said ;)

Although depending on how I feel I may have a running session with post-WW2, pre-nationalisation stock or anything up to current-ish stock but my main interest is BR from the 1950s to 1970s.

1994-1998 for me. So Era 8 & 9 covers me.

Cheers, Anthony
Sutton St Annes - Provincial north-west Lancs - 1990-1995 http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39173.0

West Coast Models - www.westcoastmodels.co.uk

Roy L S

Can I edit my vote? I didn't realise until too late that I can vote for two if my interests bridge 2 epochs. I voted for Era 5 1957-66 but would also have included Era 4 if I had realised.

Roy

MJKERR

Had to put 7 and 8
The majority is Era 8, with Large Logo Blue and InterCity / ScotRail
However, I have some BR Blue items that sneek in (just like they still did in the 1990s)

Dorsetmike

I had to vote era 3 but from my point of view the Southern in Era3 can be subdivided into 3 main periods, 1923 to the renumbering around 1930, 1931 - early 1938, then the Bulleid years with Malachite (yeuk) and wartime black.

I stick with the middle period quite a few Adams and Drummond classes still about and the Urie & Maunsell 4-6-0s much in evidence.  Electrification hadn't reached my area and no diesels apart from a few early shunters also not in this neck of the woods.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Lawrence

Might be worth amending the thread title to What British Era do you model?  ;)

Skyline2uk

Voted 8 and 9 as I own only 1 piece is stick outside that and that may not run  :hmmm:

Not yet relavent I suppose, but I find myself wondering how long it will be before "Era 10" is needed and under what circumstances?

Skyline2uk

port perran

I voted Era5 along with several others. It would be interesting to know the ages of those who voted for each era.
I suggest that many who voted for era 5 and lower would be aged over 55.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

austinbob

Quote from: port perran on August 14, 2015, 04:13:11 PM
I voted Era5 along with several others. It would be interesting to know the ages of those who voted for each era.
I suggest that many who voted for era 5 and lower would be aged over 55.
I suspect those born in the 1940's and 1950's would still have fond memories of the Era 4 and 5 locos and rolling stock and switch off when they see anything other than a kettle or green diesel!
All my stuff is mostly era 5 with a few bits of era 4. I might be tempted to acquire some older kettles but I'm afraid all the modern stuff leaves me cold.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

REGP

I ended up voting for the following ERA's

3         - Because I like and started with the immediate pre war GWR Shirtbutto period

4 & 5   - Gives me more kettles to play with plus the odd diesel

8.        - My arthritic hands do less damage to diesels

The scenic side of things doesn't have to change much for ERA 3-5 so that's a bonus, but when I run ERA 8 if probably the opposite of a Heritage railway and becomes a FUTURE railway.

Ray

PostModN66

Quote from: Skyline2uk on August 14, 2015, 04:07:02 PM
Voted 8 and 9 as I own only 1 piece is stick outside that and that may not run  :hmmm:

Not yet relavent I suppose, but I find myself wondering how long it will be before "Era 10" is needed and under what circumstances?

Skyline2uk

Already well overdue I think - all the original passenger franchises are gone, DB Shencker has arrived.....already lasted twice as long as eras 5,6,7 and 8.

Cheers  Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations