DJ Models 2014 Announcements

Started by steam-driven boy, July 23, 2014, 12:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris in Prague

Quote from: talisman56 on July 26, 2014, 03:11:08 PM
I came across this little nugget in this thread on 'another forum':

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88259-djmodels-first-year-report/

"I have decided to create a range (almost a stand alone one) of RTR 0-6-0 locomotives (Steam and Diesel), and would have produced a class 07 shunter this year until I found out another company is producing one." [My emphasis].

Didn't go into detail about which scale or which company, but if it's N then I can see another demand on the wallet...

The Class 07s were, IMHO, the most attractive of all of BR's diesel shunters. I'd certainly want one, 'on loan' to Penmayne; maybe, for trials on the heavily graded Castle Estate branch or shunting Penmayne harbour sidings where the improved visibility for the driver would be handy. I suspect one might also be 'trialled' at Trepol Bay? 8-)

Chris in Prague

Quote from: NeMo on July 26, 2014, 08:55:10 PM
...would have produced a class 07 shunter this year until I found out another company is producing one.[/i]" [My emphasis].

Curious choice of prototype. Must admit I think this shunters are very pretty, and for the right price, I'd probably get one just for the fun of it. But didn't they work almost exclusively at Southampton Docks? Did they have much of a life after BR on industrial railways?

Cheers, NeMo

They could also be seen at Eastleigh (where they were overhauled and also allocated after the depot at Southampton Docks closed). Otherwise, yes, they were only seen beyond the Eastleigh / Southampton area after being sold into industrial service at, e.g. coal mines, chemical works, quarries? HNRC had a brightly repainted one on hire, for a while.

Les1952

Quote from: Chris in Prague on July 30, 2014, 05:55:18 PM
...would have produced a class 07 shunter this year until I found out another company is producing one.[/i]" [My emphasis].

Curious choice of prototype. Must admit I think this shunters are very pretty, and for the right price, I'd probably get one just for the fun of it. But didn't they work almost exclusively at Southampton Docks? Did they have much of a life after BR on industrial railways?

Cheers, NeMo

They could also be seen at Eastleigh (where they were overhauled and also allocated after the depot at Southampton Docks closed). Otherwise, yes, they were only seen beyond the Eastleigh / Southampton area after being sold into industrial service at, e.g. coal mines, chemical works, quarries? HNRC had a brightly repainted one on hire, for a while.

It is, by diesel shunter standards, quite a pretty machine.  A much more useful gap-filler, especially with a wider industrial base, would have been the Hunslet version, 68 BR examples (class 05) with 14 sales to industry, and a standard type for Consett Ironworks, NCB in County Durham and other sales besides...

Just a thought.
Les

Chris in Prague

Quote from: Les1952 on August 01, 2014, 06:07:26 AM
Quote from: Chris in Prague on July 30, 2014, 05:55:18 PM

Cheers, NeMo

It is, by diesel shunter standards, quite a pretty machine.  A much more useful gap-filler, especially with a wider industrial base, would have been the Hunslet version, 68 BR examples (class 05) with 14 sales to industry, and a standard type for Consett Ironworks, NCB in County Durham and other sales besides...

Just a thought.
Les

Class 05 D2554, 05 001, even survived to be renumbered in BR service on on the Isle of Wight.

Newportnobby

Quote from: njee20 on July 29, 2014, 10:27:59 PM
DJM and Dapol used the exact same press release to announce the 59, photos and all. If Dapol haven't shelved theirs, or rather 'given' it to Dave (which I can't believe they've not), then what the hell's that about?!

It seems at present both are going for it. Whether one pulls out further down the line if the other appears to be getting way out in front no one knows.

alibuchan

To let everyone know there is talk of a pendolino project appearing. Please see the other forum for info.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89072-n-gauge-pendolino-project/#entry1549203

Alistair

Sprintex

No good doing it over there, this is THE place for N gauge.

Plus I'm aware of quite a few N gaugers that won't touch RMWEB with a 10' pole (20mm in N ;) ) so if this has been initiated by Dave himself by not including NGF he will be missing out on a sizeable audience of possible buyers.

Paul

njee20

Actually I'd say anyone who doesn't go onto RMWeb to register their intent on principle is cutting their nose off to spite their face...

It was a fairly organic discussion that led to that thread, Dave didn't wade in and say 'right, who wants an n gauge Pendo?' 

woodbury22uk

Quote from: njee20 on August 13, 2014, 09:17:17 PM
Actually I'd say anyone who doesn't go onto RMWeb to register their intent on principle is cutting their nose off to spite their face...

It was a fairly organic discussion that led to that thread, Dave didn't wade in and say 'right, who wants an n gauge Pendo?'

You are right njee20. The idea came out of an RMWeb discussion about the poor sales of modern Farish electric locomotives, and Dave was just the facilitator who provided a price and an idea of how the Pendolino could be funded. I have started a Pendolino topic on here to draw attention to it, rather than leave it just under the DJModels umbrella topic.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23000.msg240330#msg240330

Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

tutenkhamunsleeping

Relax, the expression of interest that counts will be on Kickstarter :)

Sprintex

You misunderstand, I wasn't stating a deliberate intention on their part to avoid that particular RMweb thread, more a general avoidance of the entire place hence they would not be aware of the thread's existence in the first place ;)

Paul

Geoff

Been on RMWeb once, and that was one to many times, if I have an interest on Daves Models I will get any info from his web site.

Oh and by the way I will never cut off my nose to spite anything, this forum has it all for me and there is no need to see how the other half lives.
Geoff

PaulCheffus

Quote from: tutenkhamunsleeping on August 13, 2014, 10:03:27 PM

Relax, the expression of interest that counts will be on Kickstarter :)

Hi

However it might not even get that far if people arn't interested in the first place.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

BernardTPM

Quote from: Sprintex on August 13, 2014, 12:24:42 PMI'm aware of quite a few N gaugers that won't touch RMWEB with a 10' pole (20mm in N ;) ) Paul
20.6mm in British N, 19.1mm in 1:160  :D

njee20

Quote from: Geoff on August 13, 2014, 10:20:14 PM

Been on RMWeb once, and that was one to many times, if I have an interest on Daves Models I will get any info from his web site.

Oh and by the way I will never cut off my nose to spite anything, this forum has it all for me and there is no need to see how the other half lives.

That depends if you have any interest in a Pendolino really doesn't it...

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations