Hattons Pre-Owned - 'Like New'

Started by stevieboy, March 27, 2014, 12:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy L S

Sorry, didn't make what I meant very clear.

I'm not generally remotely interested in their second-hand stuff as prices of items I've looked at are generally unrealistic and their listings not always well described. 

What I would like to be able to view is just the new models without it all being cluttered up with second-hand stuff in the same view. As I say, mentioned this to them, got a polite reply and "empathy" but no action was taken.

Regards

Roy

oreamnos

I've had mixed luck using the pre-owned service.  I'm using it less now but I used it quite a bit last year.  I can say I've returned at least 3 locos advertised "like new" which had issues.  One was a blue Peak which (in Hatton's defense) could very well have been defective from the factory (bogie frame kept falling off) and I've run into that with brand new Peaks.  One was a 58 which had a glue smear on the body (not visible in the pics) added by a previous owner and the other I don't remember.  All the coaches and wagons I've bought have been fine save one, which was a picture and description of a blue express parcels coach but what I got was a GUV with yellow Network Rail vinyl transfers added and bogies painted silver, all to a poor standard.  After I emailed them with some pictures they simply refunded what I paid and told me to keep it.  I don't think my rate of returns of the "like new" stuff has been any higher than for truly new stuff.

I actually bought a Poole HST set in blue from them this past fall and it was excellent.  Bad box, but the contents were fine.  I also bought a bunch of Poole Mk3 coaches at the same time.  None of them were "like new" because they all had BR Lines Mk3 interiors fitted, so they were actually better than like new!

Every now and then you can get a true bargain (e.g. about 4 months back I paid £71 for a latest release blue Class 20 which are £84 new and it really was "like new").  But most items are not bargain priced.

Some items I've received clearly have been used but after a minor brush up were as good as new.  I find the service most useful for finding stock or liveries that are out of production now.  There are two reasons I prefer it to ebay which are 1.) they deduct VAT, which makes things 20% cheaper for me and 2.) their p+p rates are much cheaper than other shops and ebay sellers.

Matt

DELETED

QuoteWe have eBay to get a better deal both ways

I usually buy off the bay but find selling on there a complete pain in the proverbial if there's any negotiation involved.  I think Hattons mark-up is pretty crazy, but must admit I haven't tried anyone else (Hattons got a box full of stuff from me last autumn).  When I sent stuff there, everything was run on the test track each way for half an hour at least before I declared to them it was a good runner, that's why I'm miffed about todays' duffer HST.

TBH I think you can get the same experience anywhere, but annoys me when stuff is falsely advertised like I see more often with Hattons.  I only had one duffer from Rails (off EBay) -but it was 6 months+ before I even took it out of the packaging so lesson learned not to buy anything you can't put on the test track the minute you take receipt of the item.  One shouldn't have hassle buying from a retailer, different story if it's via EBay or private.

It did annoy me when I found Hattons don't hold 2n'd hand stock in the shop.  It's 400miles from me and the one time I went (with a huge pocketful of cash), I walked out empty handed because they just had 2 scrappy 2nd hand coaches on show, the whole point of going was to see stuff tested.  They don't say this on the website and when I made a polite comment to include that note on the listings (not hard I thought) I just got told they have a new website coming (not the answer to my question!).

...Hattons is still a good source, but just beware.  For the benefit, I also use Rails occasionally, 2K Techologies (expensive!), KJB, OO Heaven and the 'odd privateer if they have stuff listed buy it now / offers.  I never win anything on auction so just don't bother with bids now..

DELETED

Quotewhat I got was a GUV with yellow Network Rail vinyl transfers added and bogies painted silver, all to a poor standard

...LoL, that sounds just like what I returned!  Was it a network rail DVT with dodgy vinyls and silver and red think enamel paint slapped everywhere?  Sounds like they just wrote it off.

guest311

only used the pre-owned once, not at all impressed.

peco MGR hoppers with loads supposedly as new, turned out that the loads were what looked like bathroom mastic squirted into the hoppers, with screws embedded, and 'coal' mashed into the top surface.

luckily I wanted to fit the extensions to them, so once I had dug out the  :censored: and cleaned up the top surfaces, then the peco extensions and loads fitted.

but certainly not what I would have described as 'as new'.

as an aside, I remember them selling some old style class 25s, in BR blue, at silly prices, when they were selling them new at £45.

no need to guess which I went for  :no:

MikeDunn

Can't comment on Hattons (never used 'em at all - I can't say I find their 'new' prices any better than RoS or my local store - and often worse).  Or comment on RoS apart from noting that for 'other types of item' (OOLS if you must know :P) they are absolutely exorbitant !!!  'As new' controllers at between 50% and 100% of eBay prices, and the locos at twice normal !!!  RoS are OK if buying new stuff (had a couple of issues with some new stuff, all rapidly resolved by the girls  :thumbsup:), but this part of their business seems a rip-off ...  (I know they needed lots of cash to pay Olly, but he's left now  :P )

Generally - I treat 'pre-owned' with a great deal of caution ... that goes for fleaBay as well as retailers.  Although I must admit to buying a pre-owned J94 the other week in LNER colours from my local (Hereford Models) - apart from being just what I've been after for over a year, they seem to have serviced it as it went around the test-track very nicely - and that latter point is very important.  Photos can be doctored, or even just totally wrong, there is no disguising the unit when you're holding it & running it around on test ... ... ...

DELETED

Whats RoS and OOLS please?

...Mind you, last time I went to Harborn Hobbies I picked up a single TTA I liked -wasn't till I got home I realised they put a different model in the box -wouldn't have minded but it was scratched down one side.  Still 200 miles away, I just wrote it off.

I commented when they were selling off their pre DCC class 25's.  They were selling used ones more than new.  Have to say though the old 25 I had was just superb on DC and now one of my very best (and easiest) conversions to DCC, puts some much newer DCC ready locos to shame!

DELETED

MikeDunn

Quote from: RST on February 14, 2015, 10:36:17 PM
Whats RoS and OOLS please?
Rails of Sheffield :)

OO Live Steam :)  OK, that one is less obvious ;)  However, see http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HORNBY-LIVE-STEAM-OO-GAUGE-R1041-MALLARD-LIVE-STEAM-TRAIN-SET-/201273431201?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2edcd4d4a1 and http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HORNBY-LIVE-STEAM-OO-R2259-SEAGULL-LNER-BLUE-CLASS-A4-LOCO-/131408204283?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item1e988a11fbas examples of rip-off prices.  Pop onto the 'sold' page for prices people actually pay ... (and even those are a bit above what I consider 'realistic', they were a bit lower last year).

Les1952

I've not bought any pre-owned from Hattons but would look at odd items of rolling stock or scenic items if they were hard to find new AND exactly what I was looking for. 

Indeed following two items on eBay I now wouldn't buy pre-owned LOCOS without having seen them and run them-

One of my two pre-owned disasters was a Dapol A4 which when it eventually arrived ("guy gone into hospital after the listing........") had to wait for testing as I was on holiday.  Had been seriously over-oiled and needed a set of new traction tyres and a degrease by DCC Supplies.

The other was a Farish A1 which ran smoothly and quietly for some time so I renumbered it.  Then I discovered it had no traction tyres, and no evidence of ever having them.  Two traction-tyred wheelsets from Farish solved that problem.  This week it went up in smoke! (fortunately without paintwork damage).  Now off to BR Lines for a new motor. 

Les

(wonderful thick cloud of smoke it was- as good as my Dapol 26 that did the same at Wigan show.)

robert shrives

Hi I have used Hattons a couple of times for preowned -anot a problem - a scecond class 20 at £71 last week - in reality it looks like discounted newstock peddled out of stocks ,the Pre owned manager failed to repsond to emails but a little nudge via normal contacts got a reply but not to my advantage - so agree prices not in bargain position but nodoubt Hattons factor in a storage cost and admin charge ... Not every bodies cup of tea reading the thread but at least errors dealt with well, like the shambles on the Dapol 33 last month !
Cheers
Robert   

ohlavache

Hello.
I came across this thread.
One question: has any of you sold items to Hattons? Was the price they offered correct? Did you negotiate?
Thanks by advance for your feedback.

JayM481

I have sold to them. Price was much lower than what they marked it up to for resale (about 100% mark up), but they also paid for the shipping. I didn't negotiate, as it was stuff I just wanted gone. I'd do it again, but with a bit more effort on my part.

DELETED

Quote from: ohlavache on February 03, 2016, 08:13:52 PM
Hello.
I came across this thread.
One question: has any of you sold items to Hattons? Was the price they offered correct? Did you negotiate?
Thanks by advance for your feedback.

....yes and feedback is in the replies above.  For selling I use Ebay now.  For buying from hattons I notice they have had one person who adds in ALL the details in the descriptions, other persons just list "like new" when you can see a buffer is out or there's a scratch in the side (but pics seem to be cleverly taken not to show) -or worse it's a different product from the sticker on the box!  I'm very weary of hattons now -I went 400miles with £300 in my pocket to buy a few things only to find they didn't have them in the shop and I couldn't see / test them or buy walk out with them like I was lead to believe I could.  Very dissapointed and to be honest -they don't offer a service any different from buying on-line anywhere else in my oppinion.  Just comes down to caveat emptor.

Rich

acko22

I have purchased a few items from Hattons pre owned section, mainly things you could not longer get and I wanted which I know I paid a little more for but I was really after them and couldn't find them anywhere are at all!
I also go the new design DCC ready class 31 which had a Lenz chip fitted, and this turned into a right steal! I was 100% like new but it had a chip fitted and another that hadn't been so I saved a few quid there!

As for selling to there well it can be hit and miss although I would always say go into the shop rather than posting to them if possible, it they are interested then you will get ok money not as much as you would expect to see them selling them for but better money than if you posted.
I phoned them about some old OO gauge stuff that had been collecting dust in the attic for some time and got offered £40 but as it is a reasonable distance away I went into the new store 2 days later I got offered £65 cash or store credit which I duly used to get a load of new points for my layout!

Could I have got more on Fleabay maybe but it's always a gamble and the be honest it was less hastle, for the same result some more point work!

Also as I have seen in the past at RoS someone has gone in getting rid of stuff they offered so much and well some one in the store offered the guy more that RoS so they both came out winners with RoS losing out which I thought was amusing! Although the guys at RoS were not as happy!!
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations