Hatton's Beyer-Garratt

Started by N_GaugeModeller, November 16, 2019, 11:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

No they've been upfront that it's not cancelled, but that they do need confirmation of interest to give them confidence to proceed. How long that leave that is something else.

Smokebox Door

I wonder how many other folks picked up the Garratt flyer at Warley 2018 like I did, fixed it to the fridge door with a magnet, waited and watched. January 2020 is here so I've written to Hattons to enquire what is happening but alas, no reply as yet.

I skipped Warley 2019 because in a crowded exhibition season, there were other venues to visit and I bet I'm not alone. To read that Hattons didn't have anything on show this year does suggest to me that this was a whim so it isn't going to happen.

I for one would invoke rule 1 just so that the inner child could play and enjoy such a magnificent sight trundling around provoking my imagination to try and visualise and awsome sight that disappeared before I was born. Who cares that it doesn't fit my chosen location, that's not the point. I saw a Skytrex model running recently which only reinforced my wish to have one.

I suppose I may not have helped as I have also asked Hattons how well it will run. Dapol steam locos do not like certain parts of my layout. I have some 'basic' points installed in the back scene area, some of which I wouldn't expect it to turn off, but I would expect it to cross. I don't want to spend double bubble (for me) on something that rides over point blades or plastic frogs, even if they are radius 2 and I don't want to have to faff with subtle adjustments to a new model. I wish I could try a mock-up chassis. Trouble is, it's catch 22, I don't want to commit unless I know it's worth buying, Hattons won't commit unless I promise to buy one. That's a lot of negatives but I live in hope.

Happy New Year all.

Newportnobby

@Smokebox Door I know you can't access our N'Porium until you have 10 posts but member Fredastaire currently has a Garratt (LMS livery) for sale @£240 using the Skytrex kit and 2 x Farish Black 5 chassis. If interested, I suggest you drop him a PM and he could send pics to you.
Oh, and welcome to the forum :wave:

red_death

I'm not sure whether it has been posted on here, but Hattons have confirmed on RMweb that the Beyer-Garratt won't progress to tooling until they receive sufficient pre-orders - from Hatton's Dave:

"We're currently at the CAD stage but cannot yet move to tooling before we have sufficient pre-orders to do so.

I would advise anyone who has not yet placed a pre-order, but is interested in the project, to place their order as soon as possible. You can see all versions of the Garratt on THIS page.

Please note that no money or deposit is taken for any pre-order until the finished item is delivered into stock and is ready to be sent out to you."

Cheers Mike

Snowwolflair

Much as I would like these models I doubt they will reach their numbers.

I think if they were close they would take the risk of going forward.

Chris Morris

Hattons have got a customer database. One would have thought they would have polled their existing customers to see what loco project was most likely to be successful.  Not exactly rocket science.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Chris Morris on January 29, 2020, 06:16:20 PM
Hattons have got a customer database. One would have thought they would have polled their existing customers to see what loco project was most likely to be successful.  Not exactly rocket science.

Frankly if they were rocket scientists they would not be trying to earn a living out of model railways.  Its strictly a business for enthusiasts.

Chuffington

Just placed a pre-order for a couple to get the numbers up.
I really, really want this on my layout !

Chris Morris

If they wanted oddball they should have gone for the Lickey Banker. Even though it's totally wrong for my layout I would have bought a Big Bertha.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

honk843

Quote from: Chuffington on January 30, 2020, 11:15:35 AM
Just placed a pre-order for a couple to get the numbers up.
I really, really want this on my layout !
I did that about three months ago but I had hoped I would have them for a show last weekend as they originally said release date January 2020. Now there is no release date and they seem to have dropped the advertising for them so I would think they will not go ahead at all. However your comments made me check the Hattons website and I was surprised, although I should not be, to find that these items have been deleted. (They did the same with my pre-order for the Hornby 5-BEL). I have firmed up the order by phone with Hattons and got and order number.
The problem is that being let down again N-gaugers are (I imagine) becoming more and more cynical about these promised items. I suspect the Fell will be felled next.
In the meantime having spoken to Hattons they do not seem to be able to add anything more regarding the status of the model, so I have to keep £400 in my bank account just in case; money I could use to order some Chemflos but do not want to get overstretched.
The important bit in all this waffle is that if you think you have an order check that it is on their system. If they have deleted mine they could delete yours too.
Incidentally although I don't think anyone has mentioned this before perhaps the most important thing here is that it will pull a reasonable lengthy train because in my book this is major virtue of N gauge and we will not know that until there is at least an EP to demonstrate.
This not a rant about Hattons however and I think they have provided an excellent service over many many years.

Snowwolflair

I have moved them to my 2021/2 budget freeing up funds for other projects  :)

PaulCheffus

Quote from: honk843 on January 30, 2020, 01:28:19 PM
In the meantime having spoken to Hattons they do not seem to be able to add anything more regarding the status of the model, so I have to keep £400 in my bank account just in case; money I could use to order some Chemflos but do not want to get overstretched.

Hi

I doubt you will see these before 2021 at the earliest if they appear at all.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

Bob G

Quote from: PaulCheffus on January 30, 2020, 02:10:05 PM

Hi

I doubt you will see these before 2021 at the earliest if they appear at all.

Cheers

Paul

I would order the Cemflos. You are guaranteed that you will get them. I would use this link sooner rather than later. http://www.revolutiontrains.com/product/cemflo-pcv/

There is no guarantee at all on the Hattons model. Even if they pushed the go button now, it would be Q4 2021 before you would see them.

Bob

Newportnobby

Incidentally although I don't think anyone has mentioned this before perhaps the most important thing here is that it will pull a reasonable lengthy train because in my book this is major virtue of N gauge and we will not know that until there is at least an EP to demonstrate.

I'm sure haulage was discussed at the initial announcement as, at the time, only one chassis was powered. Seems Hattons listened to potential customers and now both chassis are powered.
Hopefully that will prove to be adequate

Railwaygun

there are a few problems in China that will delay everyone's proposed delivery dates!
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £5.67