Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croxy

Came home today to a nice little package in the post from Liverpool......

GM Class 5mt "Camelot" which ran out of Guildford. Pure coincidence that I ordered that one (family from that area) and a GF Travelling Post Office sorting van......

:D
If you like it run it......

Bealman

Quote from: austinbob on October 27, 2014, 08:47:30 PM
Went to my favourite Model Railway shop today (Alton Model Railways in Alton Hampshire - and no I don't have shares in this shop!) to look at their second hand N gauge items. Fell in love with an old Farish Duchess 46244 -King George VI. Beautiful condition (very well cared for or almost unused - not sure which). Runs like a dream - quiet and smooth. Never owned an early Farish loco before. Impressed by the simplicity and the build quality!!

The overall feel of the loco is just like the prototype. However, being nitpicking, the driving wheels look too small and the loco has the classic tiny wheels of old Farish models on the front pony truck.

I'm in two minds as to whether to leave this wonderful model alone or upgrade it to look more realistic.

Has anyone tried to upgrade this loco to more modern standards. For example

Larger front bogie wheels
front bogie coupling

Is the chassis the same as for the old Poole Jubilee - as the wheels are quite small - probably not possible to increase size of driving wheels.

The more I think about it - it would be better to leave well alone!!

Your views and advice appreciated

Bob Austin
Depends on how confident you are, I guess. If its a good runner I know I personally would leave well alone, or merely attempt bodywork.

It is dated now, but it's always been a nice solid loco.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

CarriageShed

Quote from: austinbob on October 27, 2014, 08:47:30 PM
...The overall feel of the loco is just like the prototype. However, being nitpicking, the driving wheels look too small and the loco has the classic tiny wheels of old Farish models on the front pony truck.

I'm in two minds as to whether to leave this wonderful model alone or upgrade it to look more realistic.

Has anyone tried to upgrade this loco to more modern standards. For example

Larger front bogie wheels
front bogie coupling

Is the chassis the same as for the old Poole Jubilee - as the wheels are quite small - probably not possible to increase size of driving wheels.

The more I think about it - it would be better to leave well alone!!

Your views and advice appreciated

Bob Austin

Upgrade it! I plan to do the same with all my locos, many of which are Poole-era Farishes. I've already made a start by tackling one of my Union Mills, and they're not too dissimilar, detail-wise. It looks much better for the extra details.

NeMo

Succumbed to temptation and bought a second Dapol 'Western', this time D1062. It's the weathered version, and really looks good. Bought it from Invicta Models in Sidcup, a newish sort of store, but well worth visiting.

Interestingly it has a TOPS panel under the numberplate instead of the red circle which my other 'Western' has. So some variety there, as well as the differences in weathering!

Cheers, NeMo

(Former NGS Journal Editor)

bees

Quote from: NeMo on October 29, 2014, 12:43:42 PM
Succumbed to temptation and bought a second Dapol 'Western', this time D1062. It's the weathered version, and really looks good. Bought it from Invicta Models in Sidcup, a newish sort of store, but well worth visiting.

Interestingly it has a TOPS panel under the numberplate instead of the red circle which my other 'Western' has. So some variety there, as well as the differences in weathering!

Cheers, NeMo

Not a fan of Westerns, but they look really nice, 2 good buys there mate
I like to start each day the same, sit up and take a deep breath!
First objective for the day achieved, woohoo!!!

NeMo

Quote from: bees on October 29, 2014, 08:51:50 PM
Not a fan of Westerns...

Asking for trouble there!

Westerns are great. John Wayne, shoot-outs, chasing villains on horseback... what's not to like!  :P

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

bees

Quote from: NeMo on October 29, 2014, 08:58:46 PM
Not a fan of Westerns...

Westerns are great. John Wayne, shoot-outs, chasing villains on horseback... what's not to like!  :P

Cheers, NeMo

Hahahahahaha, that's really tickled me!!!!!
I like to start each day the same, sit up and take a deep breath!
First objective for the day achieved, woohoo!!!

Newportnobby

Quote from: bees on October 29, 2014, 09:00:26 PM
Quote from: NeMo on October 29, 2014, 08:58:46 PM
Not a fan of Westerns...

Cheers, NeMo

Hahahahahaha, that's really tickled me!!!!!

Sure that wasn't Sitting Bull's headdress? :D

Newportnobby

A late addition of a Carmine/Cream Gresley brake for my rake. Decent price from Rails :thumbsup:

marco neri

...never turn you back on the ripper (judas priest)

portland-docks

Quote from: marco neri on October 31, 2014, 01:08:22 PM
Today arrived for my Narnia Express

your picture is too small, i cant see it, even when zoomed in i cant see what it is

paul
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

marco neri

....ready to go to Narnia Highlands destination..

marco neri

Quote from: portland-docks on October 31, 2014, 01:10:42 PM
Quote from: marco neri on October 31, 2014, 01:08:22 PM
Today arrived for my Narnia Express

your picture is too small, i cant see it, even when zoomed in i cant see what it is

I do use ImageShack because Phototobucket does not mark the link's forum...

paul

marco neri

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations