N Gauge Society Journal -- yikes, the new editor is me, so I'll be needing help!

Started by NeMo, April 04, 2019, 09:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fardap

Quote from: Tank on April 04, 2019, 02:59:16 PM
A5 for me.  I couldn't bear having years of A5 Journals and then A4 appearing.......the shelf would look odd!  :D

That was the 'reasoning' given by the chairman now president of our Musical Theatre society... It is now A4 as I do the layout and design and was frustrated by the constraints of A5... She has started a new shelf apparently  :D

Fardap

Quote from: Newportnobby on April 04, 2019, 08:39:20 PM
Quote from: nookfield on April 04, 2019, 08:13:19 PM
Quote from: Newportnobby on April 04, 2019, 03:28:43 PM
I'm damned sure my postie would fold an A4 version :worried:

I have 2 monthly A4 sized railway magazines delivered by Royal Mail and the postie so far hasn't managed to ruin either.

But my postie folds all my post in half other than birthday/Christmas cards and the A5 Journal. Swap?
Are you wanting in the size of your slot..?
All my A4 mags come through unfolded but the slot is wider than A4... maybe older ones are smaller?

Papyrus

Well done, Neale! Grahame may have been unafraid to stir up a bit of controversy, but there is no doubt he has improved the journal in many ways and I think you have a good platform to build on. You won't be able to please all of the people all of the time but I am sure you will do a great job. I've got one or two ideas for articles but my workrate is so slow at the moment it's anyone's guess when you might get them!

A4/A5? I really don't care, although A5 is easier to read in the bath... (does that count as a valid reason?) The content is the important thing in my view, not the format.

Very best of luck, Neale. I'm sure you will get a lot of support from the Forumistas!

Cheers,

Chris

railsquid

Quote from: Papyrus on April 05, 2019, 12:40:05 PM
A4/A5? I really don't care, although A5 is easier to read in the bath... (does that count as a valid reason?) The content is the important thing in my view, not the format.

Aha, another bath reader. Though I also read A4-sized magazines in the bath too, so it's not a deal breaker.

Tonye

A5 for me, I find it a handy size. My O gauge Gazette is A4 and sometimes gets damaged in the post.   
Tony .H

zwilnik

I've been meaning to try my hand at another article since my Suitcase layout one got published. Just done a big move to Spain, so still organising a bit here but once my modelling tools are unpacked I'll see if I can come up with something.

port perran

Quote from: railsquid on April 05, 2019, 01:42:16 PM
Quote from: Papyrus on April 05, 2019, 12:40:05 PM

Aha, another bath reader. Though I also read A4-sized magazines in the bath too, so it's not a deal breaker.
I used to read in the bath but I now need glasses to read and they get all steamed up.
Or does someone know a neat trick to stop glasses steaming up?
As for A4/5, it matters not to me.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

dannyboy

Quote from: port perran on April 05, 2019, 02:55:05 PM

A drop of washing up liquid wiped on and then off the lenses, (also works on bathroom mirrors!).  :thumbsup:

As for reading in the bath, that is what baths were invented for isn't it!  ???
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

port perran

Quote from: dannyboy on April 05, 2019, 03:00:15 PM

A drop of washing up liquid wiped on and then off the lenses, (also works on bathroom mirrors!).  :thumbsup:

I shall try that later  :thumbsup:

PWayman

The size of the magazine was the catalyst I think it fair to say for Grahame knocking it on the head. He wanted A4.
    Personally I am with the A5 brigade.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Fardap on April 05, 2019, 11:55:42 AM
Quote from: Newportnobby on April 04, 2019, 08:39:20 PM
Quote from: nookfield on April 04, 2019, 08:13:19 PM
Quote from: Newportnobby on April 04, 2019, 03:28:43 PM
I'm damned sure my postie would fold an A4 version :worried:

I have 2 monthly A4 sized railway magazines delivered by Royal Mail and the postie so far hasn't managed to ruin either.

But my postie folds all my post in half other than birthday/Christmas cards and the A5 Journal. Swap?
Are you wanting in the size of your slot..?

A rather personal question but the answer is 'No'. Strangely junk mail from Virgin arrives unbent so I can only conclude my postie has a beneficial (to him) arrangement with Beardy Man ::)

trkilliman

Martin, what have you been reading in the bath to make your glasses steam up?   

port perran

Quote from: trkilliman on April 05, 2019, 04:14:09 PM

Martin, what have you been reading in the bath to make your glasses steam up?
Ha Ha !!!
You'd be surprised.

Caz

Congratulations NeMo, a big job to take on.  I'd better tidy up and sort out some of my forum tutorials if they're of any use.
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Bealman

I must admit that when I was editor of the newsletter I mentioned earlier, the hardest task was getting folk to write stuff for publication. Like Grahame Hedges, I would often end up providing a lot of the material myself.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations