Dapol 2014/5 catalogue

Started by MinZaPint, March 19, 2014, 04:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy L S

I was at Ally Pally yesterday helping to run the big Austrian H0 layout Michaelerplatz.

I escaped to have a look round and wound up at the Dapol stand. All I bought was a catalogue, but managed to catch a few words with (I assume) Joel.

The J72 is likely to be a 2015 release, I guess that must be expected. I think it is a great choice - I for one have long bemoaned the lack of LNER tank locos and I know I am not alone.

Regarding the re-runs of old models, looking at the pricing (e.g. £65 for an Ivatt) I would be very surprised indeed if any of the three (M7, Ivat, 45xx) have newly tooled tungsten chassis and metal see through wheels etc at that price. I think the comment in the catalogue is a generic "lift and drop" from the other pages and as such possibly unintentionally misleadiing.

Similarly when I asked about improvements to the 9F all I was told about was the sprung front bogie, not a brand new all singing and dancing chassis great idea though that would be.

Does anyone have firm info from Dapol confirming new chassis? If so I will very happily stand corrected as well as seriously look at a new 9f!

Roy

Richard G Dallimore

Quote from: AndyGif on March 23, 2014, 09:39:00 AM
They only thing thats peaked my interest with this list is the Rerun of Evening Star.

No mention of 33's or 50's disappointing, might raise some interest in the hydraulics depending what they get turned out like.

over it's a "meh" from me

33s and 50s are in the catalogue as mentioned earlier in this thread. The front page states the desire to catch up this year and hope to release all models within the time frame of this catalogue. i know Joel and the others are honest guys and will try their best. Shame still no early livery on the 142's as I would like a choc and cream livery for Cornwall.
Regards
Richard
Formerly NtasticShop
Now N'Tastic Scale Models & Copper Mine Miniatures
https://www.coppermineminiatures.co.uk/n-tastic-scale-models
https://www.facebook.com/NTasticScaleModels

NTrain

I just wish I had carried on developing my 142...........................................

EtchedPixels

Early 142 liveries go with different doors.

I don't see any big problems etching replacement doors or Maunsell sides. Simple case of a little modelling being needed.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Zunnan

If Dapol were to re-chassis the 9F, I would seriously consider retiring my Minitrix 9Fs. That model alone put me off Dapol for years. The biggest problem with it is the complete lack of weight from all of the plastic that went into it, and the cast weight mounted so high in the boiler. If it had the low down weight of a metal chassis in the first place, the derailing pony truck wouldn't have been nearly as much of an issue as it was. It wouldn't have stopped some of the disintegrating valve gear I experienced, but 3 of my 5 returns went back for complete lack of track holding. Decent chassis, dozen sales...simples.

The Ivatt is a different story, the chassis in that is generally good, it just wants a motor update and new wheels. And gearing down a bit...mine goes off like a rabbit chased by a greyhound and is hitting 100mph at 4.5 volts with enough oomph to throw it off a 2' radius curve at full chat.

The J72 I find a bit of a strange one, the Bachmann J72 was one of its classics and hasn't been in their range for a time, it was always a good steady seller right from its introduction with Mainline. I was fully expecting to see that split chassis model to appear retooled in this years Bachmann announcements and shrunk to N with Farish.
Like a Phoenix from the ashes...morelike a rotten old Dog Bone

Dr Al

Quote from: Zunnan on March 24, 2014, 10:56:56 AM
If it had the low down weight of a metal chassis in the first place, the derailing pony truck wouldn't have been nearly as much of an issue as it was.

The weight in the main chassis would have no effect on the trackholding of the bogie as it's effectively a separate chassis, unless the weighting of the bogie was also increased. It's problem was the steamroller pizza cutter flanged wheels on the first batch models that caught on point blades etc. Dapol already had to retool the wheels on  the 9F and the latest ones had a retooled tender drive mechanism with their standard 5 pole motor rather than the earlier 3 pole Tomix style ones.

Quote from: Zunnan on March 24, 2014, 10:56:56 AM
It wouldn't have stopped some of the disintegrating valve gear I experienced

This seems a very common problem - the central driver crank pins seem to be cast in a very weak material that easily snaps (leaving the remains of the peg stuck in the hole for good measure). Problem is exacerbated as you can't get spares of just this one component.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Zunnan

I mean that the additional weight and lower centre of gravity may have meant that the derailing pony truck could have been less likely to throw the locomotive on its side at the merest hint of a curve. Yes by design (flaw) it would have still derailed constantly, but it may well have resulted in less damage to those dumbo ear cab doors as the loco tipped over, a good chunk of additional weight low down in the model may well have helped keep it upright.

With the valve gear I noticed that the chassis components if not snapped perfectly together would cause the whole chassis to banana. This didn't help the already poor track holding or haulage for a start, but it also put stress on the slender coupling rods and crank pin causing them to fatigue very quickly. A few of the 9Fs that passed through my hands had moulding pips and flashing that needed cleaning up before the chassis would sit straight, haulage was almost doubled and derailments became confined to pointwork only. A lengthy chassis such as the 9F needs to be rigid with plenty of sideplay allowed in the wheelsets, and for good measure some articulation of the conecting rods would help prevent components being stressed by uneven trackwork, tight curvature or bent chassis. Thats before you even consider the all driven axles geared approach acting upon the con rods. If the leading, middle or trailing wheels were out of quarter by a fraction (axles 2 and 4 aren't pinned if I recall), they destroyed the valve gear as soon as the loco was run for the first time, which is exactly what happened to one of mine. There were numerous issues with the (first run) 9F, caused both by design and by poor assembly. Some were fixed, such as the problem pony truck, but some persist. The plastic chassis is one that remains, which is why my Minitrix fleet expanded as others sold theirs in favour of the Dapol model. I'd love to replace my tired old 9Fs, if only the Dapol model were a good strong slogger rather than a looker, I don't like depot queens ;) If any model deserves a new chassis, designed properly; its this one...Please!

Wildly veering OT so I'll stop it there.
Like a Phoenix from the ashes...morelike a rotten old Dog Bone

Dr Al

Quote from: Zunnan on March 24, 2014, 03:27:26 PM
. I'd love to replace my tired old 9Fs, if only the Dapol model were a good strong slogger rather than a looker, I don't like depot queens ;) If any model deserves a new chassis, designed properly; its this one...Please!

The first batch ones were pretty bad and to be avoided IMHO. I have two second batch ones and these are ok, not as good pullers as others but will manage 30 wagons ok.

Interestingly I found one was poorer than the other, this was traced down to the pickups on the rear two drivers on one side not being bent out meaning the drivers were premanently pushed all to one side allowing the central driver to come off track at times. It was an odd one, but once corrected (really to get better pickup) the haulage increased markedly to match the other.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Karhedron

Quote from: bridgiesimon on March 22, 2014, 06:35:57 PM
Is that a hint that the 45xx and the M7 are going to be with decent chassis?
Dapol have confirmed on their FB page today that these locos will all be produced as per the original spec and with no upgrades. The toolings will then be retired (probably due to obsolescence rather than degredation). They have said they may redo these locos in future but it would be a full retool rather than an incremental upgrade,
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

bridgiesimon

That is massively disappointing. I do not see the point of making such massively sub standard models.
i am highly frustrated and disappointed!!
Simon

EtchedPixels

Somewhat disappointing if the chassis doesn't get a rework - the bodies are fine.

Still be useful to make some more nice white metal 0-4-4's instead of the M7
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

SD35

I'm intrigued at the extra overhead line equipment mentioned, especially the spans and end masts.

Bealman

Eh? Are you sure you've posted on the correct thread here, SD35?  :confused2:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Bealman on March 25, 2014, 11:35:29 PM
Eh? Are you sure you've posted on the correct thread here, SD35?  :confused2:

Read the catalogue carefully ... there is more overhead down to appear

Bealman

Yeah... I just realised. Thanks, Alan, and my sincere apologies to you, SD35!

I was just going on recent posts and didn't see the relevance.

Once again, sorry!  :-[
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations