Change to authentification of online payments in the UK and EU

Started by Buzzard, February 04, 2019, 12:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntpntpntp

Yes, both of those verification systems are still active and I see sites directing my transactions through them, but it seems the card providers must be recognising my regular usage patterns and not bothering to prompt for verification these days.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

swisstrains

Quote from: ntpntpntp on February 09, 2019, 10:35:24 AM
Yes, both of those verification systems are still active and I see sites directing my transactions through them, but it seems the card providers must be recognising my regular usage patterns and not bothering to prompt for verification these days.
Yes Nick. I've seen the Visa and Mastercard pages "flash up" briefly during transactions also. I wasn't sure if the systems were still active or if it was just a glitsch.

swisstrains

Quote from: PLD on February 09, 2019, 10:09:24 AM
Quote from: swisstrains on February 09, 2019, 09:30:02 AM
"Verified by Visa" was mentioned in an earlier post. Is this system still in use?
I assume "Mastercard Securecode" is/was a similar system although for some reason I haven't been asked to use it for years.
Yes and Yes...

I was prompted for a VbV authentication a couple of months ago, which was the first time for quite a while. It was when using a hotel booking website HQ'd in another EU country. I think it was the first time I'd used that site since a new Debit card was issued, hence 'whitelisting' expired with the previous card.

It is such a long time since I was asked to verify my debit card that I had forgotten that I was even involved with the VbV system. If I remember correctly my verification data was just passed on from my original Maestro card.

chrism

Quote from: ntpntpntp on February 09, 2019, 10:35:24 AM

It depends on the card issuer. Tesco Bank use VbV but MBNA don't usually - at least, I haven't had to enter anything for ages.
Tesco will allow you to have it turned off, but only for three transactions then you have to ask again. I do so because it's a PITA since I use NoScript to hopefully prevent webpages from dishing me out any "nasties" and I can't always identify which scripts are needed for a site's interaction with VbV.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations