Would you use this and, if not, what would be your concern(s)?

Started by Newportnobby, February 05, 2019, 09:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exmouthcraig

Be great to try it, but completed by 2050?????

I'll be the same age as my dad is now, can't see me living long enough to get to try it!!

:o

exmouthcraig

Thats worth the ❤ just for the little icon at the end Mick  :beers:

Snowwolflair

It will be fine until a Russian sub crashes into it.

Hong Kong builds all its harbour tunnels with this type of tube, however, when they sink them into place they sit on the sea bed.

Newportnobby

My thinking was heading that way. 100ft down is OK for surface vessels but some loon sub driver above and below and all hell could break loose :worried:

exmouthcraig

On the plus side Mick, by 2050 Dapol might of released their WC/BoB...........then again that would of been over 40years in the making, let's hope they won't of been forced to rush it!!!!

4000ft deep though, can't they build a faster ferry?? 21hrs driving isn't that bad, they could always fly.

Presumably these must be massive towns that are migrated between, I mean whose got a government stupid enough to waste 30billion on a project that will definitely cost double definitely be 6 years late and never live up to the numbers they claimed would use it ????????

jpendle

Be better with trains in it.

See 'A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah!' by Harry Harrison.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

railsquid

QuoteThe ambitious project, which will cost £30 billion

Well, I guess they can afjord it.

I'll get my coat.  :angel:

Bob Tidbury

That little cartoon at the end of your post was really clever Mick it had me in stitches and like you I doubt if I will ever go through those tubes .
I would love to go through the channel tunnel one day just for the sake of saying I have done it .
Bob Tidbury

njee20

I'd definitely use it, why not? The failure of any tunnel wall is unlikely to be great, so just because that's floating rather than buried, meh!

If it's on time I'll be 64, so it's a possibility. No doubt I'll still be some way off retirement by the time I get there!

The Q

it will be interesting to see how they are going to cope with tides going up and down and Storms.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on February 06, 2019, 08:54:46 AM
That little cartoon at the end of your post was really clever Mick it had me in stitches

@Bob Tidbury
When replying to a post you will see underneath all the listed smileys '[Click here to view more NGF smileys] and it's in that list, Bob. Choose the one(s) you want by clicking on them and then move down to 'Close Window' which takes you back to your reply

chrism

Anyone who's used the Conwy Bypass on the A55, second Tyne Tunnel or the Medway Tunnel has already gone through an immersed tube tunnel. The only real difference with this planned one is that it's suspended from pontoons instead of sitting in a trench dug out of the river bottom - the latter being a tad impractical when the bottom's 4000' down.

Quote from: The Q on February 06, 2019, 09:18:43 AM
it will be interesting to see how they are going to cope with tides going up and down and Storms.

Good point - I suspect that the tides would be catered for by having the tubes exit above the water rather than cutting straight into the fjord banks, then connected to the land-based section by some form of hinged linkspan.

If the suspension pontoons are large enough I doubt that storms would be too much of an issue. Looking at the map, the location appears to be some way inland so should be pretty sheltered.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations