The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Quote from: MikeDunn on July 29, 2015, 09:33:58 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on July 29, 2015, 08:22:02 PM
At £79 per hour labour and an £85 door mechanism + VAT for the  :censored: Treasury my door is fixed but that's 2 locos!!!!!!!!
Couldn't you just replace it yourself  ???

The door was locked and the mechanism had disintegrated so there was no way I could even open the door to lift it off the hinges, let alone afford the cost of a new door with all the gubbins, Mike.
If I'd known what was involved in replacing just the mechanism I'd still have been stumped :dunce:

Quote from: daveg on July 30, 2015, 08:19:32 AM
Quote from: newportnobby on July 27, 2015, 09:23:41 PM
Why is it that just when I've spent some dosh on a necessity (in this case a Western from Kernow :angel:) that just a few hours later I manage to break the lock on my front door so now I have to find a locksmith who will no doubt charge some exorbitant call out fee :veryangry:

At £79 per hour labour and an £85 door mechanism + VAT for the  :censored: Treasury my door is fixed but that's 2 locos!!!!!!!!
Looks like I'l be down Preston docks (again) for a few nights :laugh:

:laughabovepost:

No, Mick, No! Please don't lower the tone of the area (again)!  :D

Dave G

You've obviously never been to Preston Docks, Dave. Lower the tone of the area indeed :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

jonclox

Quote from: newportnobby on July 30, 2015, 01:42:23 PM
Quote from: MikeDunn on July 29, 2015, 09:33:58 PM
Couldn't you just replace it yourself  ???

The door was locked and the mechanism had disintegrated so there was no way I could even open the door to lift it off the hinges, let alone afford the cost of a new door with all the gubbins, Mike.
If I'd known what was involved in replacing just the mechanism I'd still have been stumped :dunce:

Quote from: daveg on July 30, 2015, 08:19:32 AM
Quote from: newportnobby on July 27, 2015, 09:23:41 PM
Why is it that just when I've spent some dosh on a necessity (in this case a Western from Kernow :angel:) that just a few hours later I manage to break the lock on my front door so now I have to find a locksmith who will no doubt charge some exorbitant call out fee :veryangry:

Looks like I'l be down Preston docks (again) for a few nights :laugh:

:laughabovepost:

No, Mick, No! Please don't lower the tone of the area (again)!  :D

Dave G

You've obviously never been to Preston Docks, Dave. Lower the tone of the area indeed :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:
In need of a regular wage I spent about 5 years working in a double glazing and door manufacturing workshop.
even just fitting basic hinges and locks become a nightmare at times. The variety of hinges and especially door locks is vast and very complicated to set up and install properly
I personally don't think you were overcharged Im sorry to say
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Newportnobby

Quote from: jonclox on July 30, 2015, 01:53:43 PM

Jon - just to clarify, I don't think I was overcharged (especially as the engineer only gets 40% of the hourly rate, I was told) but I don't like these out of the blue expenses which result in having nothing to show for the outlay except a door that is now the same as it was last Saturday (not when I'm considering buying a Dapol Grange :D)

MikeDunn

Quote from: newportnobby on July 30, 2015, 01:42:23 PM
The door was locked and the mechanism had disintegrated so there was no way I could even open the door
Ah, bummer  :(  Explains why you had to get the guy out, all right ...

I had to do a couple of locks last year; fortunately, it was a choice  ...  The replacement was very straight-forwards, unlike the sounds of yours.

Reminds me ... I need to replace the other back door & the entire surrounds :(  Have put it off a long time (after doing a partial rebuild of it), but am hoping it can survive this winter coming as I just don't have the time to invest until Autumn  :(  And it'll be sod's law the weather heads bad then.

jonclox

Quote from: newportnobby on July 30, 2015, 01:58:35 PM
Quote from: jonclox on July 30, 2015, 01:53:43 PM

Jon - just to clarify, I don't think I was overcharged (especially as the engineer only gets 40% of the hourly rate, I was told) but I don't like these out of the blue expenses which result in having nothing to show for the outlay except a door that is now the same as it was last Saturday (not when I'm considering buying a Dapol Grange :D)
I quite understand  NPN .  Like  but all I was saying is that to my mind his costs etc etc were justifiable
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

outofgauge

:censored:Just got home from a days graft as usual -good oh -the postmans brought my 'N'gauge journal -a bit of railway reading -a quick flick till bed time -looking good -then to the news letter -sales /wants ok nothing there for me ! Then I start to read the financial report from the agm -which I did go to the show with my oppo Mainline -but didnt stay for the meeting (boy do I now wish I had ) from what I can read looks like the ex vice president (and an MBE) to boot has been helping himself to money from the society along with running business within a business ( the second hand stock )  ! What the hell have I been paying my membership for -buy a bottle of wine for him once a year ??????? God who can you trust these days ???? When ive stopped chewing on my journal -emails are going to be sent -are the society pursuing the loses ? Whats every one elses views ??
Regards
Neil

Remember -this is not a practice ! One go only !
And I was Born ready .

joe cassidy

I think shame is sufficient punishment.

Best regards,

Joe

Zogbert Splod

Not a happy chappie!
Fish plate finger? Bah - that's for beginners and children... Try a bit of 'Dremel circular saw finger' then get back to me.

That's some flesh I'll never get back. Yeah, my own fault. Yeah, I'm embarrassed by what I did - stoopid! Yeah, it could have been a lot worse! But, holy bat poop, it smarts! That's an end to my layout work for tonight anyhow...

Gonna cus now,  pee, poo, belly, bum, drawers!
There, that actually feels a bit better.....
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

MikeDunn

Quote from: outofgauge on July 31, 2015, 09:32:29 PM
Then I start to read the financial report from the agm
We're over on the Magazine thread ...

outofgauge

That would be ok normaly Joe - but not everybody in our world will find out -just the n gauge members ! :thumbsdown:
Regards
Neil

Remember -this is not a practice ! One go only !
And I was Born ready .

acko22

Just been sniped on 4 items on Ebay!!!

Now that's life but by the same  :censored: he has gone after 3 of the things I wanted and then on a duplicate of the 150 I wanted he has put a snipe bid in for that too!!

All I wanted was a class 150 is that to much to ask!!  :(

Ahh well the only plus is hopefully I have ran him up a little for his troubles!
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

paulprice

what does sniped mean?

acko22

Quote from: paulprice on August 02, 2015, 11:05:05 PM
what does sniped mean?

Ok well I am sure I will be educated as to how exactly it works (there is some computer program out there that does it) But basically someone not bidding on an item till the last few seconds on an item, say 3 seconds so you have no chance of a counter bid.

On its own is someone does that on an item that life! But 3 items all ending within seconds of each other then they are using the "sniping" program and that just makes me rather upset!  :veryangry:
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

MalcolmInN

Quote from: acko22 on August 02, 2015, 11:19:59 PM

Ok well I am sure I will be educated as to how exactly it works
Ok, well, I am sure we wouldnt dare now ! :laugh3:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations