The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Quote from: railsquid on November 13, 2014, 09:48:04 PM
Have you experienced this particular item?

Yup - I have the plain green version 'Pinza' :)

Tdm

Annoying pop up adverts:

A question for those on here who currently have good knowledge of todays I.T. World and the Internet.

I am getting really annoyed with the number of adverts that constantly pop up everytime I do a search for something on the Internet.

I have tried one pop up blocker, but it wasn't very good and I still got inundated with unwanted ads.

Can anyone recommend a really good and effective ad blocker, I don't mind paying if it is effective.

My system is as follows :- Toshiba Satellite I7 chip Laptop with sufficient memory.
Latest Windows 8.1 operating system, and I use Firefox as my Internet Browser.
Use Avira as my main Virus checker, plus Advanced System Care, and Wise Care.

talisman56

If you're using Firefox, install the Adblock and NoScript add-ons - slight loss of performance, but ad-free heaven...
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Luke Piewalker

Adblock Plus as my basic ad protection.
And NoScript.
Beware though, NoScript is the 'nuclear' option which blocks everything that isn't specifically allowed. Which means a lot of bank and online purchasing websites where you are sent to a separate payment processor or what have you can be a bit of a banana skin.

Bob Wild

Quote from: Tdm on November 14, 2014, 11:02:54 AM
Annoying pop up adverts:

Me too - especially as I use the word "model" in a lot of my searches!

railsquid

Occasionally I search for model railway supplies on the website of one of the big electronics retailer here in Japan. Unfortunately whatever ad targetting algorithm is used has decided that "railway modeller" is a subset of the genre "otaku nerd" and half the other websites I get ads from the retailer for anime/manga stuff and the odd photographic volume featuring young ladies who are barely decnt.

Tdm

Thanks for the quick replies - have just added Adblock & Noscript to my Firefox add-ons but have yet to see if they are effective as been out for a while.

DesertHound

Quote from: railsquid on November 14, 2014, 12:14:07 PM
Occasionally I search for model railway supplies on the website of one of the big electronics retailer here in Japan. Unfortunately whatever ad targetting algorithm is used has decided that "railway modeller" is a subset of the genre "otaku nerd" and half the other websites I get ads from the retailer for anime/manga stuff and the odd photographic volume featuring young ladies who are barely decnt.

I told you it would be hard to shake the "Otaku" label Railquid!  ;)
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Bealman

I'm just sitting here with me phone and a beer waiting for a few of me mates to turn up, and being almost the only person online at the moment (5.30pm Aus time), and being a bit bored, I just looked at the stats (as one does).

Interesting to reflect that the top thread by views is this one.  :uneasy:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

railsquid

It probably doesn't help that it must be one of the longest threads... and people tend to be more expressive about negative things than positive ones...

railsquid goes off to find the happy thread

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Tdm

Quote from: railsquid on November 17, 2014, 06:59:29 AM
It probably doesn't help that it must be one of the longest threads... and people tend to be more expressive about negative things than positive ones...
railsquid goes off to find the happy thread

Yes why is it so many people have such a negative outlook these days - there should be more of "my glass is half full" rather than "my glass is half empty".

If the powers that be replaced the angry & happy threads with just a single "mood" thread then it wouldn't be that the angry thread was the most popular one. 

This is not an angry post - just an observation and comment.

Agrippa

Perhaps there should be a thread for people to complain about the angry thread..... :D
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Newportnobby

Quote from: Agrippa on November 17, 2014, 10:11:47 AM
Perhaps there should be a thread for people to complain about the angry thread..... :D

But if they were happy to complain, wouldn't that appear in the Happy thread? :laugh:

railsquid

Quote from: newportnobby on November 17, 2014, 10:47:47 AM
Quote from: Agrippa on November 17, 2014, 10:11:47 AM

But if they were happy to complain, wouldn't that appear in the Happy thread? :laugh:

At this rate we're going to need a Confused  :dunce: ??? thread.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations