CR signals

Started by 1018509, September 13, 2013, 06:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have bought some CR Signals colour light N gauge signals for my layout. They arrived today and they look very good but they all have bare wires some with resistors attached and the wires are bare where they enter the brass signal post so what stops them shorting out?

terrysoham

The wire is covered in a varnish or similar.
Terry Metcalfe
Ely and District Model Railway Club
Owner of High Lodge logging railway (009) and in the process of building a new layout based on Soham in 1944

I e-mailed CR and they told me the same.

You learn something new every day.

A.Carter (BiG-T)

Hi
They use enameled copper wire the same type that's used in motors, coils (point motors) Etc. A very old but effective way of insulating wires, and a very thin insulator compared to pvc for instance.
To solder to the wire if it is not already cleaned and tinned you need to scrape away the enamel with a knife or something similar you can tell if it's already clean as the copper looks bright compared to the enameled section.

Tony

edwin_m

I believe the enamel is sometimes supposed to vanish on heating but even with wire that claims this I found it better to scrape the enamel off before soldering.  Be aware that these wires can be extremely fragile and will snap off if bent too frequently. 

martink

The simplest way of removing the enamel insulation without damaging the wire is to put a small blob of fresh solder on the tip of your soldering iron, then push the end of the wire into the molten blob.  After a couple of seconds, you have a clean, tinned wire ready for whatever you have in mind.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations