2017 Tour de France

Started by Newportnobby, July 02, 2017, 09:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Burcombe

Vinokourov won on the Champs Elysee in 2005, breaking away with just over a km to go with Bradley McGee and elevated himself from sixth to fifth in the GC.

Gary Burcombe

Greg Lemond's win over Lauren Fignon in the final timetrial could be attributed to the first time tri bars were used in the tour.  Everyone used them thereafter.

njee20

Quote from: Gary Burcombe on July 24, 2017, 10:46:38 AM
Vinokourov won on the Champs Elysee in 2005, breaking away with just over a km to go with Bradley McGee and elevated himself from sixth to fifth in the GC.

Ah yes, probably the only GC contender of recent years who could ride away from the bunch sprinters! I suspect he was taking more EPO than Armstrong!

Quote from: Gary Burcombe on July 24, 2017, 10:49:49 AM
Greg Lemond's win over Lauren Fignon in the final timetrial could be attributed to the first time tri bars were used in the tour.  Everyone used them thereafter.

Fignon also used disc wheels front and rear, which was said to have lost him time fighting the wind. As you say, tri bars (as a precursor to a full on TT bike) became the norm, whilst you virtually never see disc front wheels used on the road.

Anyway, was a decent race, well done to Froome, shame about some of the exits of favourites - Cav, Sagan, Kittel, Porte. I'm sure it would have been a richer race for their continued participation, and obviously healing vibes to those who crashed out!

Never really got into the Vuelta, not sure why. I think I have more of a personal affinity to France than Spain, sure it'll be a good race though.

Newportnobby

As I don't have Sky or Eurosport I have to take what I can get from ITV4. I do like their team, even if the show is adverts interrupted by morsels of cycle racing ::)
I find La Vuelta is a more 'social' race than the TdF but still very competitive.

njee20

I think ITV4's coverage is far and away the best, always watched it over the other options.

daffy

Yes, ITV4 coverage is my choice too, though the lengthy and over-frequent ad-breaks are a pain in the derrière.

At least I now know which company to go to avoid if I want a second-hand watch. (Apparently they are called 'pre-owned' these days  ::)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Newportnobby

Quote from: daffy on July 24, 2017, 01:18:55 PM

At least I now know which company to go to avoid if I want a second-hand watch. (Apparently they are called 'pre-owned' these days  ::)

c/w voiceover by dear old Johnny Walker, well known DJ

daffy

Ah! thanks Mick, I was trying to place the familiar voice, even if I did turn the sound off most times for the ad-breaks. :thankyousign:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

njee20

Those idents were utterly dismal, but they've been widely talked About and I even looked on the website, so they've served their purpose!

daffy

If their purpose was for me to determine never to have anything to do with them, then yes, they served their purpose. :D

But then I have an intense dislike of practically all the overly repetitious and frequently inane and irritating advertising, much of which seems to like SHOUTING! at me, that invades my living room from within the electrical box of tricks in the corner.

Thank heavens the designers thoughtfully provided a 'Mute' button to somewhat minimise the onslaught.

But yet without the firms that pay for the advertising and sponsor the teams there would be no Tour de France to watch, so many thanks to all who respond more positively to the myriad messages.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

njee20

I just fast forward through them. Even better than mute. We're still discussing them though...

daffy

But if you fast forward when do you find the time to make the tea / go to the bathroom / discuss events / look on the NGF / and other important activities?  :hmmm:

Surely that's the true purpose of ad-breaks. ;)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

njee20

I'm young enough to be able to go 45 minutes without needing the toilet ;)

Or I pause for such things!

daffy

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

mr magnolia

Keep practicing whatever skills you need to practice re ad breaks - La Vuelta beckons, with added Fromeyness, I just hear. Brave move, again!

Donald

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations