Apple computers - the Marmite of the technology world.

Started by Snowwolflair, July 15, 2017, 11:35:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zwilnik

Quote from: NeMo on July 20, 2017, 11:43:45 AM
Quote from: The Q on July 20, 2017, 10:55:24 AM
I've never got that enthusiastic about apple, mostly they are overpriced for what they do.
See this is where my comment about priorities is important. Yes, an Apple OS X computer is an expensive UNIX-based workstation if you're happy enough to get down-and-dirty with Linux.

But if something other than raw processor speed, RAM and hard drive statistics are important, an Apple computer can be good value. Seamless integration with peripherals, attractive and easy to learn GUI, generally good reputation for longevity, very few real world security risks, and so on -- these are all typical Apple selling points. If these matter to you, an Apple OS X system "isn't overpriced for what it does" because those are things you're happy to pay for.

Quote from: The Q on July 20, 2017, 10:55:24 AM
And I don't like Marmite
Me neither!

Cheers, NeMo

Not to mention pretty good resale value too. I hear "overpriced" a lot (especially in the UK) for a lot of things. Usually it means "I don't want to spend money and I'm quite happy to sacrifice quality or my time to avoid it"

The Q

Or I'm not going to spend vast amounts of money on something that do no more than something costing half the amount.

NeMo

Quote from: The Q on July 23, 2017, 07:51:35 AM
Or I'm not going to spend vast amounts of money on something that do no more than something costing half the amount.

Precisely. It's about priorities. The current MacBook Pro line is expensive, and in part Apple almost certainly are deliberately pricing themselves at the premium end of the market. That's a strategy that's work extremely well with the iPhone.

Whether they're overpriced though depends on whether what you want from a portable computer can be satisfied with a cheaper machine. Apple's argument would be that their innovative features, such as the Touch Bar and extremely high quality Retina display, provide value above the processor speed and RAM allocation. If not, then a laptop costing 30-50% less might do perfectly well.

It's a bit like comparing a Ford to an Audi. Both will get you from A to B, both will comfortably reach the 70 mph speed limit on British roads, and both will carry four people in comfort. But nobody in their right mind would say they offer the same driving experience, or that the build quality and components used in these two cars would be identical.

We have a Ford Focus, because when it comes to cars, that's what offers the features we need at the price we can afford. But others will prefer the Audi because they either value different things or can afford to spend more on their cars.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

javlinfaw7

I am not quite sure of that analogy , alot of audi components also feature in Seat and Skoda at a budget price

NeMo

Quote from: javlinfaw7 on July 23, 2017, 10:24:18 AM
I am not quite sure of that analogy , alot of audi components also feature in Seat and Skoda at a budget price

And there are plenty of widgets and screws in a MacBook Pro you could find in a generic PC laptop. The difference is how they're put together and those components they don't have in common.

If I gave you the choice between a mid range Audi and a mid range Seat, which one would you pick?

That's the difference.

Cheers, NeMo

The Q

Quote from: NeMo on July 23, 2017, 10:27:25 AM

And there are plenty of widgets and screws in a MacBook Pro you could find in a generic PC laptop. The difference is how they're put together and those components they don't have in common.

If I gave you the choice between a mid range Audi and a mid range Seat, which one would you pick?

That's the difference.

Cheers, NeMo
If it were a gift the Audi ,   if I were paying for it the SEAT , and that's  the point I don't waste money unnecessarily.

zwilnik

Quote from: The Q on July 23, 2017, 12:18:56 PM
Quote from: NeMo on July 23, 2017, 10:27:25 AM

That's the difference.

Cheers, NeMo
If it were a gift the Audi ,   if I were paying for it the SEAT , and that's  the point I don't waste money unnecessarily.

If you were buying to pootle down to the shops every day then the SEAT makes sense. If you're blasting up and down motorways, doing long distance travelling abroad etc. then then extra money on the Audi makes sense.

The analogy with cars is always a bit of a vague one, but generally speaking if you're someone who needs to use a Mac or benefits from using one, it's not wasting money (all my Macs have paid for themselves fairly quickly).

NeMo

Quote from: The Q on July 23, 2017, 12:18:56 PM

Indeed, the analogy was based on you having a free pick of either of them. And absolutely, for most people the Apple computer might be expensive relative to what they're willing to spend and what they need the computer for.

But for others, the 'value-added technology' is worth paying for. For example, if you're doing graphics, then a generic screen isn't as good as a high end one (like the Retina display on the MacBook Pro). A comparably appointed Windows laptop could be found, but it won't be a bargain basement $500 rig you'd pick up at Asda/Walmart!

What I'm saying is that the use of the word "waste" in your reply is the bit where we disagree. Choosing an Apple computer isn't a "waste" if the value-added technology is stuff you appreciate or need. Indeed, you might be someone who simply likes the upmarket image that Apple cultivates partly through marketing, and partly through better design. And that, my friend, is where we come back to parallels with luxury market motor cars. Steve Jobs was a huge fan of BMW, particularly their motorcycles, and saw Apple very much as doing with computers what the Germans do with their cars -- design them well, build them well, and yes, market them well.

Cheers, NeMo

Pengi

Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Pengi on July 24, 2017, 08:59:17 PM
Quote from: Zwilnik on July 23, 2017, 12:28:51 PM
. . .   (all my Macs have paid for themselves fairly quickly).

totally agree  :thumbsup:

Absolutely, they are the best platform for launching PC ransom-ware   :thumbsup: :D :D

austinbob

Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations