price rises - how long can this be sustainable

Started by guest311, April 23, 2016, 12:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

QuoteI know I won't get a lot for them

Why won't you? I've been very pleased with second hand values!

Roy L S

I have to admit I have flipped from one side to the other as regards this argument. Initially I was taken aback by the increases and have said so on this Forum and elsewhere, but then I reconsidered.

The reality is that not so many years ago many (myself included) were saying we would happily pay £200 for a model with see through spokes, wire handrails and good levels of detail. Well all that is here plus in the case of Farish's recent steam models good quality loco drive mechanisms, coreless motors and DCC and diesels which are now much more than a generic box.

Taking that into account the price comparisons above (£125 for a very basic and clunky Crab 2-6-0 at today's money) a state of the art Ivatt 2-6-0 for the same money (RRP) looks an absolute steal.

I think the reality is that we have in the recent past been spoiled by prices being too cheap in real terms and we now see that as the norm so the rebalancing of prices to make things sustainable is greeted with outrage.

Personally I have got over the shock, the models are not over priced, they are still good value for what you get. Whether affordable for some is a different matter, but then I don't know about anyone else but there does seem to be an expectation of buying more models these days, back in the 90s I'd probably only buy three or four locos in a year tops.

The bigger concern for me is the lack of models I want to buy and long lead times. I have money to spend but there is nothing available I am interested in that I do not have already.

Roy

gc4946

Most comments on this thread focus on locos and stock.

There's also costs of track, DCC kit, buildings, scenics and other accessories to take into consideration.
Money's been saved not using DCC because many British prototype multiple units modelled by Dapol and Farish require up to three chips per unit to take advantage of all their digital functions.

I've also minimised the use of RTP buildings, particularly Scenecraft and the former Lyddle End ranges, unless they meet an exact need, but appreciate not everybody have the kit- or scratchbulding skills to undertake some of those prototypes modelled in resin.

"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Karhedron

I have a fairly modest and inflexible modelling budget so in my case I just have to be a little more selective about what I buy. Not so many Rule1 or impulse purchases.  :'(

Either that or I find something to flog on eBay. One in, one out!
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations