Converting Mk3 HST coaches to loco traction, which buffers?

Started by petercharlesfagg, December 31, 2015, 04:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercharlesfagg

Friends,

I would like to convert my Mk3 HST coaches to locomotive hauled standard by fitting buffers, can anyone give the possible part number for ordering, or at least, trying to find around the world?

Regards, Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

geoffc

Peter
You dont mention whether you have Farish or Dapol Mk3s.
My Dapol Mk3s dont have buffers so I can not advise on how to fit them. My GF XC Mk3s have buffers and these are part of a moulding which also incorperates the steps for the doors, so to fit them you would need two of these mouldings per coach or find some oval headed buffers to suit.

Geoff

petercharlesfagg

My apologies!

The coaches are GF made in China.

If it is going to be problematic please say so and I will shelve the idea?

Peter.

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

geoffc

Peter
I have looked at BR Lines web page and he has bufferbeams for Mk 3s, part number GF1631 @£2.50 for 6 may be these will be suitable.

Geoff

robert shrives

Hi ,
GF supplied a pair of buffer beam and or  step unit with each coach stuck to some double sided tape. Might be worth checking boxes if you have them.

Adding confusion but to say two versions produced - the inlay version of the mk3s were a buffers only thing , later version had the steps -they clip in easily enough.
Robert

Pete @ EGLM

Hi Peter
I was under the impression that all the GraFar Mk3s were fitted with buffers.  As previously stated the buffers are fitted on the door step moulding.  I've cut lots of them off over the years.  Did you buy the coaches new?

Regards

Pete @EGLM

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: geoffc on January 01, 2016, 11:35:20 AM
Peter
I have looked at BR Lines web page and he has bufferbeams for Mk 3s, part number GF1631 @£2.50 for 6 may be these will be suitable.

Geoff

Thank you, I have studied the site and will contact him next week.

Regards, Peter.

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: robert shrives on January 02, 2016, 10:25:06 PM
Hi ,
GF supplied a pair of buffer beam and or  step unit with each coach stuck to some double sided tape. Might be worth checking boxes if you have them.

Adding confusion but to say two versions produced - the inlay version of the mk3s were a buffers only thing , later version had the steps -they clip in easily enough.
Robert

Robert, thank you but...

I was given them aqo a gift 2 years ago sans boxes so no-go as regards the extras!

Knowing me I will probably try and purchase both types!!!

Regards, Peter.

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: Pete @ EGLM on January 02, 2016, 10:45:29 PM
Hi Peter
I was under the impression that all the GraFar Mk3s were fitted with buffers.  As previously stated the buffers are fitted on the door step moulding.  I've cut lots of them off over the years.  Did you buy the coaches new?

Regards

Pete @EGLM

Peter, there are no buffers fitted and no they were an unboxed gift.

Regards, Peter.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £5.67
Below Goal: £94.33
Site Currency: GBP
 6%
May Donations