Tonight I 'as been mostly.......................

Started by Alex, March 08, 2012, 09:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tadpole

Timetable maiden run is under way. Got as far as 0735, the peak of the peak. A few minor issues, so some tweaking will be required. Due to lack of space in the down fiddle yard, the 0653 to Bristol TM will need to be put back to 0656, and the Yeovil-Waterloo brought forward to 0656.

This is what the up fiddle yard looks like at 0735.

Two rails good. Three better.

Tank

Cracking picture Tadpole!  Very impressive seeing them all lined up on the curves.  Straight track wouldn't quite work!

tadpole

Quote from: Tank on April 12, 2012, 11:08:53 PM
Very impressive seeing them all lined up on the curves.  Straight track wouldn't quite work!

....and, more importantly: wouldn't be long enough.

Bealman

Cool! Most impressive. I'm no expect on those beasts, but I certainly like'em. What do you think of the new Bachfar offering?
I'm not sure from your post whether the run lived up to expectations or not?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

tadpole

The Bachmann offering, 4CEP, is excellent. Runs beautfully and certainly looks the part. It's not really appropriate for LSWR lines, but hey-ho.

The run is living up to expectations so far, four main issues:
(1) It took almost as long as in "real time" due to wrong platform choices. I'm adding platform numbers to the timetable as I go along, so it'll be smoother next time.
(2) I haven't added carriage sidings yet, so an Exeter rake was stabled in the station and was constantly in the way. Two carriage sidings will be added this weekend.
(3) The very short 4th siding at the down fiddle yard needs extending so it can take a 3-car DMU. Also, the point controlling the entrance to said fiddle yard is dodgy.
(4) The ancient Farish class 101 power bogie that powers one of my 4VEPs is finally dying, and has taken to running at 0mph or 90mph, nothing in between. I've a Japanese chassis ready to stick in it this weekend.

Bealman

Love it. I go on at times about us just being big boys playin' trains, but running to timetables etc interests me. Keep up the good work! Your comments on the new Bachfar southeren stuff - sorry - third rail stuff -  :smiley-laughing: which I would love to run, are positive. Full review would be good! Even though just gettin' my aging layout going again is a major task without laying in an extra third rail for you , Arfur and other Minder types!

tadpole

tadpole

Timetables (and trains, obviously) are what it's all about for me. Scenery, as you can see, comes well down the list. But if I decide this is going to be *the* layout, I will ballast the track and add scenery - once you've done that it's kinda permanent, I feel.

I'd quite like a clock that runs at 3 or 4 times normal speed, rather than having to "pretend" it's 0735 or whatever. Those who remember the Rev. Teddy Boston will remember his Newton Abbot ("Olton Priors") OO layout, which was governed by a speeded up clock, and real signalling. FAB!

EtchedPixels

I've always found variable time more preferable to allow for the fact that shunting etc don't scale the same way. JMRI has a nice handy fast clock, although no nice timetable integration tools that I know of.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Bealman

Fast clocks will, I suppose, enhance the operation. I tend to agree with EP though that once you vector in shunting it will throw everything out of kilter.
And let's not forget my hero's (the late Rev. Denny) Automatic Crispin! What an incredible bit of gear.
Anyway talking of fast clocks, its 6.25 am here and I'm off to Tasmania. Computer stays here!
Cheers!

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: bealman on April 13, 2012, 09:22:49 PM
And let's not forget my hero's (the late Rev. Denny) Automatic Crispin! What an incredible bit of gear.
Cheers!
Remember that from reading my elder brother's RMs from the 60's
Salute to a past master  :beers:
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

upnick

Was working till 10pm   :-[     but  ........    weekend off hoping  to get some  modelling time in   :thumbsup:

tadpole

Tonight, or rather this morning I 'as mostly been fixing stuff.
Added two carriage sidings, realigned/fixed a couple of misbehaving points, VEP power car had its dying 101 bogie replaced by a japanese chassis, runs just as well as Grafar's CEP now.

Reached 0912 in my timetable, so morning peak is done. Might skip forward to 1612 now and try the evening peak.

Now the bangers are on, should be ready in time for brunch when SWMBO gets back from the gym (yes, I know, I should've gone too - I went yesterday, honest!).

tadpole

Fending off the wildlife....

Captions welcome.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16%