Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Quote from: steve836 on May 25, 2022, 08:40:05 PM
Quote from: geofff on May 25, 2022, 06:55:01 PM
I'd love some butter - but Mrs G decided to use Flora 30 years ago!
That sounds like grounds for divorce :D

Sadly we're not likely to hear Flora's point of view

Graham

could you use Costco, buy in bulk and freeze it.

dannyboy

@Newportnobby  Going back to my posts regarding 'Lurpak' and the Aldi equivalent - guess what? Aldi Ireland do not sell 'Nordpak'.  :(

And on the subject of inflation, at Tesco today - large packet of 'Value' ( ???) ham is up from €1.99 to €2.60 and a ready meal I particularly like, up from €3.00 to €3.50, although it is in a different container to previous and it does say on the shelf edge 'New'.  :hmmm:. I know inflation is at a record high, but some of the price increases .........
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Jon898

Quote from: dannyboy on May 27, 2022, 06:10:37 PM
@Newportnobby  Going back to my posts regarding 'Lurpak' and the Aldi equivalent - guess what? Aldi Ireland do not sell 'Nordpak'.  :(

And on the subject of inflation, at Tesco today - large packet of 'Value' ( ???) ham is up from €1.99 to €2.60 and a ready meal I particularly like, up from €3.00 to €3.50, although it is in a different container to previous and it does say on the shelf edge 'New'.  :hmmm:. I know inflation is at a record high, but some of the price increases .........

Also watch out for "the amazing shrinking package" particularly when something is labelled "new".  Suddenly the 460g package is only 400g, but is the same physical dimensions.

Jon

joe cassidy

My sister (in the UK) is planning to send me (in France) some money  :).

However, she has been quoted exorbitant fees for doing this by bank transfer - 2.5% by Nationwide and 3.55% by Lloyd's.

Does anyone know of a cheap method of sending money overseas ?

Thanks in advance.

dannyboy

I have not used it recently, but I have in the past sent money from Ireland to my sister in the UK using PayPal. I think you need the 'Friends and Family', (or something like that), section. But, like everything, there are fees to pay but it might be cheaper.  :hmmm:
David.

Papyrus

Paypal?

Cheers,

Chris

PS. @dannyboy just beat me to it!

joe cassidy

Thanks guys.

Is it easy to get money out of Paypal into a "proper" bank account ?

dannyboy

Have a look at this bit, it should give you the information -

https://www.paypal.com/ie/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-transfer-money-to-my-bank-account-faq1189

Addit: I don't think my sister had any problems, but it does take a few days (?) to transfer.
David.

zwilnik

Quote from: joe cassidy on May 31, 2022, 11:33:42 AM
My sister (in the UK) is planning to send me (in France) some money  :).

However, she has been quoted exorbitant fees for doing this by bank transfer - 2.5% by Nationwide and 3.55% by Lloyd's.

Does anyone know of a cheap method of sending money overseas ?

Thanks in advance.

I have a Revolut account that lets you transfer to and from UK banks for no fee and exchange and keep money in multiple currencies with no fee (and pretty good exchange rates). They started purely as a money transfer service and online debit card but have switched to being an actual bank (EU based) recently.

The other one I use is Wise (formerly Transferwise) which is another online money exchange/ debit card service that does very good exchange rates and low fees.

With both you can setup a UK account and other people transfer into it as if it was a UK bank, then it's up to you what you want to exchange and where to send it etc. With Revolut, if you both have Revolut accounts you can send money to one another immediately for no fee (it gets used here a lot for settling up restaurant bills etc. ;) ).

Dorsetmike

I used Paypal to transfer money to a friend who did some shopping for me, quick and easy to do, don't recall much delay in the transfer.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

joe cassidy

I can't access the forum with my iphone.

When I try I get a message "Safari can't open the page because there are too many redirections".

Anyone know how I can get round this ?

Thanks in advance.

port perran

I'm not really unhappy so this is just a general observation.
Outside of railways, another of my interests is malt whisk(e)y. The bracketed e is there to illustrate that  my interest is not limited to Scotch whisky (no e you'll notice).
But I digress......I read several Whisk(e)y related magazines and have just taken out a subscription to another which is fine.
Then I get an email from The Debit Finance Collection Service confirming my direct debit.
Surely that company could have come up with a rather more imaginative name. I thought at first it was either a scam or that I seriously owed someone some money.
As I said, I'm not at all unhappy but this collection service company really does show a lack of thought.....or is it just me getting too old.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Newportnobby

Maybe it's them getting old and can't come up with anything better, Martin

Papyrus

Those of you who have read my dogbone thread https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=56129.0 will know that I have been forced into a radical re-organisation of my railway activities to accommodate a pair of bunk beds and the prospect of a couple of small grandsons coming to spend the night. Progress has been made - the half-built layout is safely wrapped up and in the loft, and I have bought a cheap desk off Gumtree to use as a workbench. I have also bought a storage cabinet that I can put locks on to keep sharp tools and fragile stock away from tiny fingers. I have taken the opportunity to have a grand tidy up, sort my tools more logically, and have fewer boxes of stuff lying around. So far, so good. I'm now in a position to start building a new layout; I just need to buy a bit more track. Only one thing spoiling this happy prospect....

My controller's disappeared!!!!

It can't have gone far - this is only a small house, and everything is so tidy it should have surfaced by now. It must be somewhere not obvious because I've looked in all the obvious places (fridge, boot of the car, dog's bed...). I'm starting to get worried  :worried: .

Cheers,

Chris

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations