what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Q

Just minor stuff today like Varnish dribbled on the cutting walls to make it look wet.

The Big thing I'm working up To is calling in the fencing contractors.
I reckon  about 150 8ft tall security posts and fences.
And about 400 4 ft tall posts  plus wires for  fences alongside the railway.

Ted

Today I've been building a helix. I'll be testing going 'up' on 3rd degree tomorrow.

Don't judge my woodworking, this isn't scenic. :)

Just call me Ted, or Edward... or Ed.

Just not Eddie.

Layout & Updates > Midlands Coal & Freight, Late 1980's

The Q

Turned out to be 167 fence posts out of a 5M roll of wire.  Other than that  trying to get plaster to look like concrete...

Newportnobby

@Ted
Is that a kit, Ted? If so, where did you source it and what radius curves fit (it looks quite small) please? (not that I'm after one but others may find the info of use)

Swindon69

I've finished putting together the base-boards purchased from Model Scenery Supplies - now to see if what I want to do will work. I tried using the track-planning software but I find it easier to actually play around with track.

Ted

Just testing my first loops of the helix.

Stopping and starting on the gradient with 11 pieces of stock and my trusty Class 25.

• 3rd degree radius Peco set-track (for testing)
  • Not cleaned, straight out of the box - 1 power connection
  • Gap between levels is 50mm
  • Clearance is at least 15mm, so plenty of room

As a result, could lower the gap to 45mm to soften the gradient some more to be safe.

It does however show the small BoBo loco having no issues whatsoever on a 2.5% gradient with 11 wagons. Next, I'll do 20+ wagons...

Just not Eddie.

Ted

Quote from: Newportnobby on April 26, 2020, 10:12:03 AM
@Ted
Is that a kit, Ted? If so, where did you source it and what radius curves fit (it looks quite small) please? (not that I'm after one but others may find the info of use)

No, I made it myself. I was going to buy a kit (lazy) but the guy on ebay is 'away' and the Model Railway Solutions are not taking orders.

So, I had a sheet of 6mm MDF delivered, a few rods, bolts and a Jigsaw.

It's 610x610 (2ft) with a 3rd degree radius and about a 2.5% gradient. Although, I'm working to trim that down a touch.  :thumbsup:

Just not Eddie.

Pjlons83

I've restarted my main layout after much planning (mostly in my head) and yesterday I made a bridge with the 3D printer. (just a top section to make and then spray paint/glue). I just looked up my post about scratch building a bridge for the original layout and was amazed to see that it was almost exactly 2 years ago! https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40360.msg490811#msg490811

I'm feeling very please with the results of my latest bridge and my progression in the hobby in general. Its fun looking back at old threads (even though I'm still a relative "new-born baby" in the hobby compared to how long some others have been modelling  :-[ :D ).

:NGaugersRule:

Gold Hill - my rule 1, "just for fun" micro layout;

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently on hold;

drekly

After house move now have space for a new layout. Having more time because of the lock down but lack of stuff to start a new layout thought i'd start work on a dcc controller and software.

Test Track - DCC Controller in the RH corner

DCC Controller now cased

Main Throttle Screen Working on Android

Ted

Just not Eddie.

Alan Kyte

Wife's in hospital having given birth last week to twins I was there for a few days but then thanks to covid rules had to leave, was going to finish the model playground tonight but decided to play trains instead... No regrets 😁

https://youtu.be/fS2GhXGrtm8
Returnee to Model Railways after 38 years, last time I was 10 and OO Gauge, now 48 and N gauge.

Swindon69

Quote from: AlanK on May 06, 2020, 10:57:13 PM
Wife's in hospital having given birth last week to twins I was there for a few days but then thanks to covid rules had to leave, was going to finish the model playground tonight but decided to play trains instead... No regrets 😁

https://youtu.be/fS2GhXGrtm8

Congrats.

Bealman

Congratulations! Twins! Better get the work in on the trains now, then.... you're gonna be too busy soon!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bealman

I very rarely visit this thread, as the answer to the titular question is usually.... NOWT!

However, now that I am here, there has been a bit of activity lately. What am I doing at the moment?

Replacing a dodgy DIN socket at Kirkby Langdale.

It's where the hand-held controller for the Kirkby Langdale section of the branch plugs in. I noticed when I was fiddling around the other day that it had intermittent electrical contact, for no other reason but old age. So, out it comes, to be replaced with a shiny new one!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

@AlanK
Many congrats on the new arrivals. Hope mother and babies are doing well.
As to the layout - working belisha beacons! Nice.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations