Put a flower in your hair for Scott McKenzie - RIP

Started by scotsoft, August 20, 2012, 08:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotsoft

Scott McKenzie, whose big hit, "San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Hair)" died on Saturday age 73.

I was 15 when this iconic song came out and soon became the "flower power" anthem of the 60's.

For those of you less fortunate not to have experienced the 60's when all you wore were flowers in your hair, have a listen  :music:

Scott MacKenzie San Francisco 1967(original)

John - a "feeling very old" hippie.

longbridge

One of those special sing along songs that people really enjoy, he may not be with us anymore but his music will live on.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

upnick

Quote from: oldrailbug on August 20, 2012, 09:24:10 AM
One of those special sing along songs that people really enjoy, he may not be with us anymore but his music will live on.

Totally  agree  Dave  he will  live on i  wasnt a hippie but  remember him  from  the era  RIP    Scott  thank  you for  giving  us   so   much   happiness.

Newportnobby

Very sad, but old hippies never die - they're all at the eternal Woodstock festival in the sky :thumbsup:

Jack

Yes they were the days ........ when I had hair to put a flower in. The days when we also sewed bright flowery triangle panels in the legs of our jeans to make big bell bottoms.  ::) The days of flower power.

Scott's song will live on.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Malc

Quote from: newportnobby on August 20, 2012, 11:05:40 AM
Very sad, but old hippies never die - they're all at the eternal Woodstock festival in the sky :thumbsup:
Very poetic Mick. Totally agree with the sentiments. He was a man in the right place, at the right time with the right song.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

scotsoft

The song was written by John Phillips of the Mamas and Papas and Scott joined a reformed version of the Mamas and Papas and continued to tour until recently.

...and he was still singing it just as well as he grew older.

Scott McKenzie - San Francisco.flv

upnick

Quote from: scotsoft on August 20, 2012, 05:39:39 PM
The song was written by John Phillips of the Mamas and Papas and Scott joined a reformed version of the Mamas and Papas and continued to tour until recently.

...and he was still singing it just as well as he grew older.

Ah John,

The Mamas  & the Papas  proper music  composure, as you say the  later version of it there in the video  is still  as  wonderful.

One you tuber has said this which  sums up the  era  & song  really 

Scott McKenzie was one of those people that defined our counter culture revolution that launched a whole new way of looking at our society and how constrained we were in feeling and expressing our love for each other.

I'm afraid that some have forgotten the importance of this change.

Jerry Howlett

I'll :beers: to that !
Quote from: newportnobby on August 20, 2012, 11:05:40 AM

and they/we have all learnt how to apply wood preserver !!! So your stock may live forever ! Especially "N" Gauge stock...
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Agrippa

Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations