We thought it was cramped at TINGS but..........

Started by petercharlesfagg, October 16, 2014, 02:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercharlesfagg

Today I attended the Model Engineering show in Warwick Exhibition centre.

I should have taken the hint when I found cars queuing at the entrance to get in at 11:20 am!

Nevertheless I went in and WOW! talk about a crush!

I had never thought that model engineering was so popular especially on a Thursday!

I caught a glimpse of the things that interested me then I left, it was such a relief to breathe fresh air and not be pushed from behind or elbowed.

As for the "great unwashed" I think most turned up today!

Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

DesertHound

Hi Peter

Care to give us a quick run down of what you saw there, what was of interest to you there?

I think I'm correct in saying that these shows are more focused on actual modelling / model engineering (guess the name gives it away) and not specifically aimed at railway modellers. Would that be a fair assumption?

Much there though for the railway modeller though Peter?

Cheers

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Malc

We went today as well and somehow missed Peter in the crush. Most of the stalls were selling machinery and tools, some were club exhibits and some had locos and such like in all gauges.

Note to Tank, a very nice 5" gauge Dutchess class for sale at £2500.

A few stalls were selling spares - springs, gauges, valves, couplings etc, some were selling steel and brass stock. Some Interesting exhibits, including some working jet engines. All I bought was a "beware of the trains" metal plaque as a Xmas present for my mate with the garden railway.

This was our first visit, Don't think I will bother next year.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Sipat

Quote from: Malc on October 16, 2014, 04:43:21 PM

a very nice 5" gauge Dutchess class for sale at £2500.

Really? I would expect to add a 1 in front of that to be more like.... unless it was a proper bargain!!!

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: DesertHound on October 16, 2014, 04:21:40 PM
Hi Peter

Care to give us a quick run down of what you saw there, what was of interest to you there?

I think I'm correct in saying that these shows are more focused on actual modelling / model engineering (guess the name gives it away) and not specifically aimed at railway modellers. Would that be a fair assumption?

Much there though for the railway modeller though Peter?

Cheers

Dan

Thankyou, what I found and was very pleased to see was a model of a 9F in Black livery.  It did me good to see because I think they are superb pieces of engineering and I would have a stable full of them if I had the money!  Apart from that I am extremely unlikely to see one in the flesh so it was the next best thing!

Plus a large version of that lovely streamlined locomotive, one of the Coronation class, I cannot remember the name!  As a boy I dreamt of seeing one on the real railway but it was not to be, so a large model had to suffice!

I was absolutely enthralled and astounded by the sheer workmanship, patience and dedication shown in the scale aero engines particularly on an 8 cylinder "V" engine, where even the spark plugs were detailed and yet it was only 12 inches high! (I guessed)

Overall the attention to detail was the main thing that impressed, whether it was boat, aeroplane, locomotive or static engine.

Like our good friend Malc, I am unlikely to attend next year, it was merely that it is "just down the road" that made me want to attend!

Peter.

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

DesertHound

Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

robert shrives

Hi Gang,

Thanks for coming, did you see me ? I was in the Intercity orange coat for some of day along with a radio and sore feet, Stewarding is such fun !!
A good day that matched first day last year. It certainly got very busy we had 4 53 seat coaches from "distant" parts attend today and while queue did hit road only from 11.20 for a 5 minute period - due mainly to drivers who believe off road is Asda`s car park and get a cold sweat on seeing grass! some amazing parking to be seen.....  Yes show is a fantastic mix of model clubs of all sorts from around the Midlands and futher with "go to" suppliers of tool, machines and bits and pieces... you can even get T gauge here today!!! Precsion paints have a big stand with all the colours of the railway rainbow - it seems and lots of spray cans for varnish and dirt colours.

If you thought TINGS was good this is just a differing good and yes worth a visit a couple of years but for many it is the one "must do", with 200 + queuing this morning I had fun entertaining and handing out show guides. At this show a down stairs concession catering van did good trade and upstairs had long queues again -but worth the wait.
With a Boat show to come and in New year a large scale model show plenty to see, but you do get me at most of them, sorry !!
Comments noted and will be fed back
Robert             

Malc

Quote from: Steve 'APA' Purves on October 16, 2014, 04:54:28 PM

Really? I would expect to add a 1 in front of that to be more like.... unless it was a proper bargain!!!

Just checked on the show guide, it was a Gauge 3, not 5" and it was a Corronation Class and it was £5500. See
http://www.kingscalelivesteam.co.uk/gauge3coronationclass.php

So nearly right.

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: Malc on October 16, 2014, 09:44:57 PM
Quote from: Steve 'APA' Purves on October 16, 2014, 04:54:28 PM

Thankyou Malc, that's the locomotive I couldn't remember the name of, absolutely beautiful in the Blue!

Peter.

Just checked on the show guide, it was a Gauge 3, not 5" and it was a Corronation Class and it was £5500. See
http://www.kingscalelivesteam.co.uk/gauge3coronationclass.php

So nearly right.

robert shrives

Hi gang , Another busy day , feet to sue brain for damage !! Kingscale  G3 on a 63mm gauge is a great scale/ gauge combo and lots of fun can be had, over last two years or so he has sold 100 Mk1s and 65 Brits, now has a 14xx in range .. You can build a small N gauge branch line terminus on a coach chassis and a fiddle on another one ! - just a thought not a challenge.
I bought a couple of T gauge turnouts today !   
fun had by all with a lovely line of a dozen traction engines in the sun this afternoon.
Regards
Robert     

DesertHound

I don't know what half of those gauges are in terms of size, but I know they're BIG. All I can say guys is consider yourselves lucky to have all that on your doorsteps. You can pop down the road to local MRC shows at the weekends, pop into towns and cities when there are larger shows on ... this place is called the desert for a reason  ;)

Cheers

Dan

Malc

DesertHound

Hi Malc

Spot of conversion training with my feet firmly on the ground at the moment, moving across to "the big girl" (aka the double decker) ... back to the proper office next month. At least then I'll get trips to Heathrow / Gatwick / Manchester, so I'll be bidding for the Saturday night flights because that equals model railway shows on the Sunday. Will still try and book leave for next year's TINGS though. Ally Pally has a show in March if I'm not mistaken too.

Dan

DesertHound

Quote from: Malc on October 17, 2014, 08:09:33 PM
Not flying at the moment Dan?

... or is that a subtle reference Malc to my "hyper-activity" on the forum today?  ;)  :NGaugersRule:

Malc

Quote from: DesertHound on October 17, 2014, 08:46:05 PM
Quote from: Malc on October 17, 2014, 08:09:33 PM
Not flying at the moment Dan?

... or is that a subtle reference Malc to my "hyper-activity" on the forum today?  ;)  :NGaugersRule:
Not at all Dan, just curious as to what you were up to re the London flights.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations