Kato track plans & advice please

Started by GWR_XC, April 18, 2022, 09:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven B

cornish yorkie

:hellosign:
  Just thought I'd mention SCARM as alternative track planning tool, the website has lots track plans as well. (Very happy user)
   stay safe regards Derek
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

GWR_XC

Thanks again for replying and advice, very helpful

dannyboy - sounds interesting your idea with points - but I would have no idea what I'm doing with that method

And scarm - are these mobile friendly or is it essential you have a laptop/pc ?

dannyboy

@Euston
If you ever do decide to go down the DPDT switch route, just let us know, somebody would be able to help. In fact, the very first DPDT switches I bought for the Kato points were advertised as such on ebay, although I have not seen any for quite a while.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

GWR_XC

Thanks dannyboy for that, might take you up on the offer of advice in future, as definitely sounds interesting

What does everyone do for station platform (if any) on the layout with Kato track ?

As I was going to go with Kato station platform and paint them / detailing them up to make them look more British

colpatben

Quote from: Euston on April 19, 2022, 05:32:28 PM

And scarm - are these mobile friendly or is it essential you have a laptop/pc ?

Both Scarm & Anyrail are Windows programs

https://www.scarm.info/index.php

https://www.anyrail.com/en

Colin
We never have problems, only solutions!

Current DCC Project

Involved in Bexhill West to Crowhurst

Now Sold Ensbourne

Colin

ChrisWV10

Jeff_W

I typically only use #4s for yards as they're not really meant for higher speeds on the main line. As others have said, be careful about putting ballast around the switch levers.

mca0004

Hey @Euston; if you'd like, send me the dimensions of the space you'd like your layout to be (you can PM it to me if you'd prefer), and I'll mock up some quick track plans in Anyrail for you when I get off work.

Red Onion

Quote from: mca0004 on April 20, 2022, 10:08:00 PM
Hey @Euston; if you'd like, send me the dimensions of the space you'd like your layout to be (you can PM it to me if you'd prefer), and I'll mock up some quick track plans in Anyrail for you when I get off work.

I'm in the same boat, trying to do a quick unitrack plan but no computer!  Could I kindly take you up on the offer please? It's nothing more technical than a 4' x 2' runaround.  I can DM if it's okay but please don't feel you have to, really nit a problem  :)

GWR_XC

Thanks for the advice and reply everyone, it's appreciated

mca0004 very kind of you to offer to do a track plan, and if you would like to have a go at designing one that would be fantastic, thank you, absolutely no rush at all, and as there is a post from red onion in a similar situation to me, and is suggesting a roundy round layout on 4x2 space - let's go with those requirements if that's ok, thank you look forward to seeing what you can come up with. Many thanks

mca0004

Quote from: Euston on April 22, 2022, 04:00:33 AM
Thanks for the advice and reply everyone, it's appreciated

mca0004 very kind of you to offer to do a track plan, and if you would like to have a go at designing one that would be fantastic, thank you, absolutely no rush at all, and as there is a post from red onion in a similar situation to me, and is suggesting a roundy round layout on 4x2 space - let's go with those requirements if that's ok, thank you look forward to seeing what you can come up with. Many thanks

Sure, just two questions:
1-What unit is the measurements? I'm assuming feet, but I'd thought I'd make sure.
2-Any track requirements? I know you'd like to use Kato, but any other brands? And is there a minimum curve radius you'd like? I'd assume you'd be fine with 2nd radius, but it'd be better to know for sure.

And don't worry about me! I find planning track layouts fun, so I'm more than happy to do it.

GWR_XC

Thanks mac0004

Yes in feet please 4X2

Kato for me please, much prefer it to peco track.

And yes 2nd radius would be ideal I guess

That's about it really, be interesting to see what you can come up with

Cheers

Steven B

Quote from: Red Onion on April 21, 2022, 08:52:00 PM
I'm in the same boat, trying to do a quick unitrack plan but no computer!

There's no need for a computer for track planning. If you can find one, Kato sell a template, part number 20-900 or 20-90.

Peco have templates available on their website that can be printed out. If you can't print at home then the sheets should also be available from most model shops or via their technical support phone-line.

Steven B.

Malc

I do use the Kato point levers. They have connections on each side so you can click them together in a bank and just feed power to the first one. If you use the Kato controller, I believe they can be clipped on to it. I use a Digitrax Zephyr so feed the assembly with a plug top power supply.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations