Dapol Mk3 Intercity DVT

Started by Luke Piewalker, February 18, 2015, 05:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke Piewalker

Judging by the email I just got from Liverpool, these have landed...

:ngauge:

jivebunny

And judging by the photo which Rails have just uploaded to their website, we have another DVT in the wrong colours.

I've asked them to send me a photo of one next to an IC Mk3 before they ship my pre-order to me.

JB

Buzzard

Quote from: jivebunny on February 18, 2015, 05:51:34 PM
we have another DVT in the wrong colours.

Me no understand, do tell please.

Nigel

Truffles

Given Dapol's track record on liveries it would not surprise me but it is hard to tell from the photos as looking at the yellow on the DVT the saturation/brightness level is high where as the coach photo has a high contrast level......so I would not leap to a conclusion just yet from those photos.

jivebunny

Quote from: Buzzard on February 18, 2015, 06:10:51 PM

Me no understand, do tell please.

The large black band is supposed to be black, not brown. This was the main problem with the old DVT. But yes, as Truffles says there's a big difference between the yellow in both photos so it'll be hard to tell without seeing them side by side and we should wait for something more definitive before writing it off as another duff livery.

JB

Chris

Excellent to see these are now on release as sole items. With the recent release of the DRS 37 the Network Rail DVT is a perfect load for one of these - already getting ideas of a Greater Anglia repaint...

robert shrives

Hi I got emails from Hattons as well, but only after wigging them over website lagging behind releases elsewhere.. just hope that the samples I have seen elsewhere match actual production. But welcome the yellow one
Robert   

Karhedron

Is the problem that the shade used does not match the Mk3 coaches in IC livery?

I don't think that the bodysides are supposed to be black, I think they are supposed to be executive dark grey (its been a long time since I looked at sectorization era liveries so I am prepared to be wrong on this). If you look at the originals, the sides are a different, lighter colour than the black around the headlights.

Or am I looking at the wrong thing?  ???
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

jivebunny

Nope, you're looking at the right thing. The issue is that the entire Dapol IC Swallow range has now been corrected to the darker grey, yet the DVT seems to have been re-released in the old light-grey (almost brown) scheme that doesn't match the rest of the range. It only matches the old, discontinued Mk3s which were superseded by the new, corrected releases a year or so ago. I agree that the grey on the current ICS range is possibly a little bit too dark, but it's not drastically wrong and at least everything matches - Power cars, HST trailers, L/H Mk3s and HST/L-H buffets. The only thing that stands out like a sore thumb is the DVT which seems to still be in the same scheme as the discontinued stock.

Hopefully someone will be along soon with a photo of the new DVT with a new Mk3, as until we actually see both together we can't be 100% sure that Dapol have actually made a mess of it. It's looking likely though unfortunately.

JB

scruff

Upper bodyside colours should be Executive dark grey- Brownish shade but darker than Dapol's first releases- on Executive livery rolling stock. (see pictures of 87006- )

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonf45sphotos/11224843746/#in/photostream/

When Intercity swallow livery was introduced it used the darker shade of Falcon grey.
It is possible that some early swallow livery repaints used Executive dark grey though..
DVT's were all Falcon grey.

HTH
Mark

jivebunny

Granted, as with most livery transitions some stock will have carried Executive-livery with Swallow logos for a time.

Would have been a great excuse for Dapol when they released their original batch of Swallow Mk3s in what looked like Executive colours, although I don't think that was what they were really aiming for! In any case, as you say the DVTs were rolled out of the factory in Swallow livery so there's no excuse for the Executive colours on the DVT, which makes it all the more baffling that the new release of the DVT should still be in Executive livery with Swallow logos, if indeed that's the case. I'm still hoping someone will come along with a photo of the new DVT that will prevent me from cancelling my pre-order along with the £300 worth of other Dapol pre-orders I've placed...

What will it be like the day Dapol start offering factory-fitted sound eh? 142 with a Deltic engine anyone?

JB

scruff

I'm with you on the if it doesn't match then I'm not buying it line JB.

As for the 142 with the deltic engines... I'd imagine that it will be a lively performer!!  :D

Cheers
Mark

jivebunny

Introducing the Flying Donkey  :smiley-laughing:

Quote from: Arrachogaidh on February 19, 2015, 11:53:19 AM
Not a problem for me as I'm going for the yellow one.......

Helpful.

I hope Dapol have included a bag of detailing parts to glue onto the front end so that the model's not restricted to sitting outside Derby RTC awaiting its measuring equipment, or stock moves preceding its entry into service.

;)

JB

jivebunny

So, these have now been available for two days and any pre-orders will presumably have arrived on doormats / desks, yet not a single photo seems to have appeared other than on the retailers' websites. Is it just me or is that not a good sign? I would have thought they'd be quite sought-after if they were in the correct livery.

JB

woodbury22uk

Quote from: jivebunny on February 20, 2015, 02:43:59 PM
So, these have now been available for two days and any pre-orders will presumably have arrived on doormats / desks, yet not a single photo seems to have appeared other than on the retailers' websites. Is it just me or is that not a good sign? I would have thought they'd be quite sought-after if they were in the correct livery.

JB

How do you expect one photographed by someone at home to differ from the one that Kernow photographed? Their's is the photo you posted on RMWeb yesterday. I would be very surprised if they are not all the same. Or is the suggestion that the Kernow photo is misleading? I expect you have checked with them already that the photo is of the new batch before reposting their photo.

I think that most people who have them already are:-

a) happy with them; or
b) unhappy with them and sent them back; or
c) did not realise there was a big issue with the livery; and/or
d) not visitors to this forum.

Even if the livery has detailed issues with the tints used I reckon for a lot of folk it will not matter to them.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations