Started by Dorsetmike, December 27, 2018, 07:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marco neri

Alea iacta est..
Delenda Carthago
Haec ornamenta mea
Hic sunt leones...
:D
...never turn you back on the ripper (judas priest)

Railwaygun

Nil illegitimati carborundum
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Newportnobby

Caesar sic in omnibus or Caesar adsum iam forte.
Whichever - in sedimenta est

cycletrak9

Nobby the full rhyme if I remember was:

Caesar adsum iam forte
Brutus adorat
Caesar sic in omnibus
Brutus sic in at

Newportnobby

Quote from: cycletrak9 on December 29, 2018, 08:19:08 PM
Nobby the full rhyme if I remember was:

Caesar adsum iam forte
Brutus adorat
Caesar sic in omnibus
Brutus sic in at

That's the very one.  :thankyousign:
I had a second hand text book at school and some wag had written inside the front cover:-

Latin is a language
As dead as dead can be
It killed off all the Romans
And now it's killing me

stevewalker

Quote from: railsquid on December 29, 2018, 11:32:11 AM
If memory serves correctly, I underwent three years of Latin at school, a comprehensive which was still clinging onto delusions of a more genteel grammar school/11+ past in the early 1980s, anyway a while back I came across an old textbook I'd somehow kept from that time (part of a series of thin volumes in orange covers, if anyone remembers them), anyway my brain has obviously better things to do with any mental storage space occupied by that deceased language and even after looking at the book I could remember literally nothing from it.

I passed 'O'-level Latin in 1983. My eldest son passed it earlier this year. They are still using the same text-books, the first ones with Caecilius and his family and the later ones with Salvius in Britain and saving King Cogidubnus.

I have forgotten how to construct Latin sentences, but found that I was still pretty good at understanding the sentences in his text-books.

railsquid

Quote from: stevewalker on December 29, 2018, 09:10:46 PM
Quote from: railsquid on December 29, 2018, 11:32:11 AM
If memory serves correctly, I underwent three years of Latin at school, a comprehensive which was still clinging onto delusions of a more genteel grammar school/11+ past in the early 1980s, anyway a while back I came across an old textbook I'd somehow kept from that time (part of a series of thin volumes in orange covers, if anyone remembers them), anyway my brain has obviously better things to do with any mental storage space occupied by that deceased language and even after looking at the book I could remember literally nothing from it.

I passed 'O'-level Latin in 1983. My eldest son passed it earlier this year. They are still using the same text-books, the first ones with Caecilius and his family and the later ones with Salvius in Britain and saving King Cogidubnus.

I have forgotten how to construct Latin sentences, but found that I was still pretty good at understanding the sentences in his text-books.

"Caecilius" rings a bell. There was a slave as well, I think? I was just struck by how I drew a complete and utter blank when looking at the text book.  I think I was supposed to do it to O-level (or GCSE as I hit the crossover) but wiggled out of it (I do, among others, have a GCSE in Chinese, which has proven much more useful ;) ).

Bealman

Back in my grammar school in 1960s North East England (yes, we did have grammar schools up there), the saying went:

If the school ever floods, jump on on a Latin book, 'cos that's dry  :D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations