Possible HMRC scam???

Started by Newportnobby, May 13, 2022, 03:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Thanks, All.
I've deleted it.
Crying shame really as it would have paid for all my pre orders due this year :*( :*(

Chris Morris

One very simple rule - if an email relating to you as a customer or from an organisation such as HMRC, your bank, Amazon etc doesn't have your name on it then it is a scam - absolutely no question. The opposite doesn't apply -  even if it does have your name on it, it could still be a scam.
Likewise phone calls - if the caller doesn't say "am I speaking to Mr ...." then it is a scam. There again all landline phone calls are a scam and not worth answering.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

NinOz

I have become exceedingly distrustful of any contact.
Last week I received two e-mails from RACQ insurance offering a refund on each insurance policy due to over charging.  Just had to scan QR codes and fill out some details to receive the refunds (total over $540).  The cause of the overcharge was due to a "Household Excellence Bonus" that was not applied over last few years.
The policy numbers quoted in the e-mails did not match the copies of the polices I had to hand.
To me it had scam written all over it.

Sent a copy to RACQ via their web site as a scam report.  Got a phone call couple of hours later from RACQ saying it was genuine but the caller said it did read like a scam.
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Bealman

So are you going to push for the $540, or continue to treat it as a scam?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Chris Morris on May 14, 2022, 06:46:51 AM
There again all landline phone calls are a scam and not worth answering.

A very sweeping statement, especially if you can't get a mobile signal at home. Anyway, for a few pence per month I get 'Caller ID' so can 'vet' incoming calls :P

NinOz

Quote from: Bealman on May 14, 2022, 08:55:02 AM
So are you going to push for the $540, or continue to treat it as a scam?
If I don't do anything a cheque will be sent to my postal address.
I consider that it isn't a scam just a badly worded document.
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Trainfish

Quote from: Newportnobby on May 14, 2022, 09:07:42 AM

A very sweeping statement, especially if you can't get a mobile signal at home. Anyway, for a few pence per month I get 'Caller ID' so can 'vet' incoming calls :P

Same here, the only people who ever call me on the landline are from the local vet so I always answer them in case they want to see me  :doh:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Jon898

Don't know if it's reached the UK yet, but here in the US the scamming/phishing calls almost all have spoofed caller ID's.  Last week we had one that purported to be the local medical center but was actually someone wanting donations to a (fake) charity.

The other thing we're getting are robocalls that don't start unless you say the word "hello", which then triggers a transfer to a live (usually 3rd world) call center.  As a result, we now answer with "Who's this?", which only triggers about 20% of the calls to transfer.  The latest variant I got yesterday was a call (caller ID "unavailable", but apparently local number) that started a machine-generated voice saying hello several times, to try and trick you into saying it back, so the transfer can happen.

It's becoming hard to stay ahead of these things.

Jon

Railwaygun

Which offer advice on Barringunwanted callers

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/cordless-phones/article/how-to-block-nuisance-calls-aHkHz1m7wCes
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

ntpntpntp

All incoming calls to the landline other than family* get left to the answerphone. If they can't be bothered to leave a message it's not real / not important.

Recently there's been a spate of spam calls here regarding driveway upgrades, using a small group of related numbers. I've blocked them all.

* If it's down to me these get left too, as it's always when I'm in the middle of a favourite TV program or I'm soldering/gluing something :D
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

guest10040

I have devoped the system of answering any unknown number as..

"Main Guardroom, security detachment, Cpl J*****S Sir"

don't know why, but 99% then disconnect  :-[

perhaps it's my accent  :hmmm:

njee20

Haven't had a landline for years. Seems to reduce nuisance calls :confused1:

chrism

Quote from: Jon898 on May 14, 2022, 03:42:21 PM
Don't know if it's reached the UK yet, but here in the US the scamming/phishing calls almost all have spoofed caller ID's. 

Reached the UK yet? The bar stewards have been at it here for years.

Their latest trick is to use the same STD (area) code as the one for the number they are calling, in the hope people will think it might be someone they know and answer the call.

Newportnobby

The only phone numbers my landlines recognise are the ones I've entered into the phone myself so I'm hardly likely to get spoof caller IDs :no:
As Nick says anything else gets left to receive a message if it's important.
The only time I come unstuck is when the hospital call me for heart follow up ('cos let's face it, they can't do face to face any more, can they? ::)) as then the display just shows 'Withheld' as it's come through their switchboard.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations