Renumbering farish coaches

Started by Diyceejay, May 03, 2022, 06:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diyceejay

Evening all,
Having trawled through the knowledge bank, the tutorials section and youtube in general, I'm struggling to find a definitive guidance on how to renumber a Farish coach. Can anybody point me to a reliable method or advise?
Thanks

Steven B

The existing numbers can usually be rubbed off using a cocktail stick. A little T-Cut can help if they're particularly stubborn.

Once removed, make sure the area is clean. Apply transfers in the normal way:
Cut out the transfer you are to use. Wet the back of it with lukewarm water -  use a paint brush to bring a controlled amount of water to the transfer. Doing this rather than just dunking it in a pot of water means more adhesive will stay with the transfer. Leave for a short time to allow the transfer to free itself from the backing sheet.

Use a pair of tweezers to pick up the backing paper and using a paint brush gently push the transfer onto the model. Gently press down to remove the water - either a paint brush again or a piece of kitchen paper or plain tissue.

If you need a transfer to sit on an uneven surface (i.e. in panel lines or over beading) then Microscale Industries Micro Sol and Micro Set will help (Vallejo and Humbrol make their own equivalents).

Steven B.

Southerngooner

While I'd love to renumber my coaches I've decided against it as I think you will always see the raised new transfer when looking along the coach. I can't see how you can varnish a side, or part of one, on a new Farish coach without masking off all the windows, which would be a real pain. If someone can help me by showing me otherwise I'd be grateful. I also wonder if you can really see a change in number at normal viewing distances?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for accuracy but have come to realise that what is strictly right is not always the best thing to do. Most of my kit built wagons are numbered correctly, but when I ran out of some I used other numbers, and can you see the difference once weathered etc.?

Dave
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

Diyceejay

Thanks chaps....I think I'll give it a try and see if the aesthetics are compromised before I commit to whole rakes of renumbering.
T-cut....as in the car polish?

martyn

Yep, VERY gently. Brasso can also be used.

If you do decide to use transfers, try Railtec-they have an almost non-existent carrier film, probably the thinnest there is. Fox aren't far behind, but I'm not sure of what they do, it may be in two parts per number.

However, I do go with Dave about renumbering-at normal viewing distances they are unnoticeable, however YOU will know they are done.

Martyn

PaulCheffus

Quote from: Southerngooner on May 04, 2022, 09:21:35 AM
While I'd love to renumber my coaches I've decided against it as I think you will always see the raised new transfer when looking along the coach. I can't see how you can varnish a side, or part of one, on a new Farish coach without masking off all the windows, which would be a real pain. If someone can help me by showing me otherwise I'd be grateful. I also wonder if you can really see a change in number at normal viewing distances?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for accuracy but have come to realise that what is strictly right is not always the best thing to do. Most of my kit built wagons are numbered correctly, but when I ran out of some I used other numbers, and can you see the difference once weathered etc.?

Dave

Hi

Only way I have achieved this is to dismantle the coach, spray it, then put it back together.

Farish BG before the Newspaper version was available

Farish LMS brake before the BR Blue version was available and the gangway connectors have also been removed inspired by the article in the NGS journal a few years ago.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

Southerngooner

I did the same thing with a couple of Farish BGs which I had picked up cheaply, one in green and one in crimson and cream. I stripped them right down, repainted in maroon and relettered/numbered/lined and then varnished. That's given a good finish but I still don't see how, even with the finest transfer, that you can successfully disguise a new number.

Dave
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations