BR (ex-LNER) Steam Locos in Operation 1955-68 & the N Gauge Models

Started by icairns, April 24, 2022, 03:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icairns

My layout, 'Ferryhill' is set in the north-east of England during the period 1955 to 1968.

By coincidence, at a swap meet a few years ago, I bought a copy of the Observer's Book of Railway Locomotives by Ernest F Carter dated 1955. 

I thought it was interesting because the book includes all of BR (ex-LNER) loco types in operation from 1955 to the end of steam.  That is, the same approximate geographical area during the same time period as 'Ferryhill'. 

I thought it would be interesting to list all of these steam locomotive types and the corresponding N gauge models (if available).  I excluded ex-LMS and BR standard types that worked on LNER metals during this period and just confined the list to ex-LNER prototypes. 

I have included many N gauge loco models that are no longer available except on the second-hand market and many of the manufacturers listed are no longer in business.

The refreshing to see that, although many white metal kits are no longer available, there is a growth in the production of 3D prints. 

In case anyone is interested, I have attached a draft copy of my list to this post and would appreciate any additional information in order to fill in the blanks and/or comments and corrections. 

Ian

P.S.  Just to clarify, if an ex-LNER loco type was not in operation in 1955, it will not be on the list.  There are some N gauge models of LNER locos that were scrapped before 1955 but they are not listed. 

P.P.S. Before anyone asks, I am NOT planning to make similar lists for the other Big Four companies and BR standards (there is only so much time in the day).

martyn

Thanks for the list, Ian. I was aware of most of them, but there is at least one error in the list; the Farish J67/69 was done in GER livery, and I'm personally not aware it was in GNR livery.

Later additions;

Note that BHE do a Belpaire and round top boiler D16/3; technically, from PMs to a Forum member I've done on research today, the Belpaire version is incorrect with the style of footplate supplied in the kit. These kits, and the BHE B12, were mastered by Phil Kerr.

Some years ago, Stelfox did an etched N7 and J17, shot down from their 4mm range; I believe thebrighton has built the J17 and is on his GER thread.

The Foxhunter K3 used a Farish Crab chassis (I've got one), and bespoke tender chassis.

The Foxhunter J39 used a Farish Hall chassis.

The BHE J70 uses either a Farish 4w DMU motor bogie, or a 6w tender drive from Lima 4F. The kit is a bit of a cross breed between the J70 and Y6. Mine is fitted with B+B couplings and also chipped.

Martyn

Papyrus

Wow! That is just brilliant, Ian. I've copied it straight into my 'Useful Info' file!

There's a lot of work in there, and I appreciate it.

Cheers,

Chris

Train Waiting

Great stuff Ian!  Thank you very much indeed.

I might have missed it but I didn't notice the 'J38' 0-6-0 on your list.  Union Mills has made it.

Thanks again and best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

martyn

Foxhunter also did a J39/1, the sub-class with the LNER 3500 gall tender. It's the version which I've got.

Martyn

icairns

Quote from: martyn on April 24, 2022, 04:00:07 PM
the Farish J67/69 was done in GER livery, and I'm personally not aware it was in GNR livery. 

I think it is a typo in my list; it should say "LNER" not "GNR"

@martyn: Thank for the other info you sent.  I will update my list.

Quote from: Train Waiting on April 24, 2022, 04:08:05 PMI might have missed it but I didn't notice the 'J38' 0-6-0 on your list.  Union Mills has made it.

You are correct; Union Mills has made a J38.  I found it on a couple of old price lists.  In my defense, the "Spotter's Guide to British Locomotives" (which lists all N gauge RTR locos) does not list the J38 either!  I will notify Howard Foy of Engee Publishing so he can correct future editions.

Quote from: martyn on April 24, 2022, 06:48:10 PMFoxhunter also did a J39/1, the sub-class with the LNER 3500 gall tender. It's the version which I've got.  Martyn

Thanks.  I will add the J39/1 to my list.

In addition, I recently came across a company called D&M that made white metal kits.  They made kits for the J39 and a J52.

In addition to the above LNER locos, I have also found photos of the following kits made by D&M:

- Rebuilt Royal Scot
- Rebuilt Jubilee
- Fowler 4F
- Fowler Patriot
- Stanier Princess
- LMS Turbomotive

Their boxes are marked:

Sole Trade Distributer: Jarvis Mnfg Ltd
Lower Carr Mill, Hopes Carr, Stockport, Cheshire
Made in Huddersfield, England

Anyone know anything about this company?

Thanks for everyone's input on my loco list.  Keep the comments and corrections coming.

When the comments die down, I will update my list and re-publish.

Ian

BramptonBranch

Quote from: martyn on April 24, 2022, 04:00:07 PM
Thanks for the list, Ian. I was aware of most of them, but there is at least one error in the list; the Farish J67/69 was done in GER livery, and I'm personally not aware it was in GNR livery.

Wasnt the Farish J67/69 available in lined BR black,GER blue LMS and Southern?
I have the lined black and blue GER versions,and they work!
Andy

Later additions;

Note that BHE do a Belpaire and round top boiler D16/3; technically, from PMs to a Forum member I've done on research today, the Belpaire version is incorrect with the style of footplate supplied in the kit. These kits, and the BHE B12, were mastered by Phil Kerr.

Some years ago, Stelfox did an etched N7 and J17, shot down from their 4mm range; I believe thebrighton has built the J17 and is on his GER thread.

The Foxhunter K3 used a Farish Crab chassis (I've got one), and bespoke tender chassis.

The Foxhunter J39 used a Farish Hall chassis.

The BHE J70 uses either a Farish 4w DMU motor bogie, or a 6w tender drive from Lima 4F. The kit is a bit of a cross breed between the J70 and Y6. Mine is fitted with B+B couplings and also chipped.

Martyn
You can never have to many Warships!

BramptonBranch

I think my contribution is in the middle of a post!

I have two Farish Holdens a lined black one and the GER blue one.They are both in good working order but not run very often!

Andy
You can never have to many Warships!

Nbodger

Quote from: icairns on April 25, 2022, 08:21:24 PM
Their boxes are marked:

Sole Trade Distributer: Jarvis Mnfg Ltd
Lower Carr Mill, Hopes Carr, Stockport, Cheshire
Made in Huddersfield, England

Ian, I presume this should be Javis Manufacturing Ltd, see link below

http://javis.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4&Itemid=14

Mike H

Train Waiting

Quote from: icairns on April 25, 2022, 08:21:24 PM

Quote from: Train Waiting on April 24, 2022, 04:08:05 PMI might have missed it but I didn't notice the 'J38' 0-6-0 on your list.  Union Mills has made it.

You are correct; Union Mills has made a J38.  I found it on a couple of old price lists.  In my defense, the "Spotter's Guide to British Locomotives" (which lists all N gauge RTR locos) does not list the J38 either!  I will notify Howard Foy of Engee Publishing so he can correct future editions.

Many thanks, Ian.  The 'J38' was common hereabouts on the former NBR lines but nowhere else.  Interestingly, it was the last Gresley-designed engine in BR service.

With best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

icairns

Quote from: BramptonBranch on April 25, 2022, 09:17:29 PMWasnt the Farish J67/69 available in lined BR black,GER blue LMS and Southern?
I have the lined black and blue GER versions,and they work!
Andy

Interesting!  Your comment reminded me of something and caused me to do some more research.  I now believe that the GER Holden tank was produced in GER blue, LNER green and BR black.  Supporting this information, see the extract from the 1973 Graham Farish catalogue below.  It shows the GER/LNER/BR liveries as you have stated.
The "Spotter's Guide to British Locomotives" omits the BR liveried Holden tank, hence my mistake.

But the Southern and LMS version are not exactly the same as the Holden tanks.  GF labelled them "Standard Tank Locos".  As can be seen, the Standard tanks do not have the tool boxes and condensing gear on top of the side tanks.  These Standard Tanks were presumably forerunners of the later General Purpose (GP) tanks produced by Graham Farish.

Ian

Platy767

@icairns  there is a GEM ex GCR D11 whitemetal kit for the GraFar 4-4-0 chassis.

Thanks,
Mark

icairns

Quote from: Platy767 on April 26, 2022, 05:38:14 AM
  there is a GEM ex GCR D11 whitemetal kit for the GraFar 4-4-0 chassis.

Thanks,
Mark 

Thanks for the info!  I do not have a good list of GEM kits so I appreciate the input.

Ian

icairns

Quote from: Nbodger on April 25, 2022, 09:41:40 PMIan, I presume this should be Javis Manufacturing Ltd, see link below

http://javis.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4&Itemid=14

Mike H

Interesting.  It appears that Jarvis Manufacturing is still going strong.  They seem to distribute a variety of model railway items although the products for some of the lines seem to be pretty sparse.  Interesting that D&M (presumably a small business) would bother to list their sole trade distributer on their packaging.

Anyone got any D&M kits?  I think there is one up for sale on eBay right now. 

Ian

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations