So Who's in Self Isolation?

Started by Mr Sprue, March 23, 2020, 05:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

@Invicta Alec I order my repeat prescriptions on line and have them delivered, saves me time and now also keeps me away from the GP surgery and the Pharmacist, so 2 pluses for isolation.

I've been fairly lucky shopping at Tesco, the only slight deviation from normal was they had no 6pt Milk so had to get a 4pt and 2pt to last the week, I've got enough bog roll to last me a few more weeks, but if I see any on the shelves I may get a pack.

Week before last they were out of pork chops but had some large loin joints on special, bought one, sliced it into 11 chops, put 10 in the freezer.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Fenrisian

Well my Debbie started coughing and suffering from a shortness of breath last night. So I am now locked down for at least 2 weeks
Pete

Papyrus

Blanche and I are pretty healthy 71-year-olds with no major problems, so technically we are at higher risk but we don't really feel it. Others in the family are more at risk, especially our son's ma-in-law, so we are semi-isolating. The only times we go out are to walk the dogs (through the woods at the back of house usually where you hardly see anybody) and I go to the shops when I have to. Boredom is not a problem. We see this as an opportunity - to do something about the neglected garden, other long-postponed jobs around the house, and play trains! I've made more progress in the last couple of weeks than I have done for months.

Hope you all stay well.

Cheers,

Chris

PS. Johnson is speaking... Looks like we are all self-isolating now...

Mr Sprue

Quote from: Fenrisian on March 23, 2020, 08:30:48 PM
Well my Debbie started coughing and suffering from a shortness of breath last night. So I am now locked down for at least 2 weeks

I sincerely hope things work out for you both.

Fenrisian

Thanks, luckily we are both relatively fit so hopefully it will be a mild dose
Pete

chrism

Quote from: Papyrus on March 23, 2020, 08:38:39 PM
PS. Johnson is speaking... Looks like we are all self-isolating now...

Quite right too.

BBC News channel had an interesting set of graphics about infection rates.

They reckon that on average, without isolation, each infected person will infect 2½ more. Without isolation that would lead to 400 infected after 30 days, from just that one first person.

If, however, they can halve the transmission rate by means of isolation so that each infected person only transmits it to 1¼ people, after 30 days the total number infected from that first person would only be 15, instead of 400.

Lawrence

Quote from: Fenrisian on March 23, 2020, 08:30:48 PM

Fingers crossed for you both Pete, please keep the hydration going for your better half, non alcoholic I'm afraid

Paddy

We are in self isolation as my my daughter Mollie had a nasty cold (no idea if it was CV19) a couple of weeks ago.  Tomorrow was the end of our 14 days but Boris has just put an end to that idea for the next three weeks.  Our grandson was born last Saturday and we are yet to meet him in person!

No complaints though, this is a serious situation so happy to do what ever is needed to get us all (that includes you folks as well) through this.  I actually decided to retire early this time last year so do not have to WFH.  My wife and Mollie are both WFH at present - good old BT fibre is holding up well where we live.

We have also avoided buying in bulk, working on the assumption that if everyone calms down there will be plenty to go around.  Mollie was sad when they closed McDonalds and today I lost my beloved Greggs. 😉

Take care everyone and make the most of the downtime.  I am sure we will get past this and people can start complaining about working again.

God bless

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

acko22

Well me and Mrs Acko went into voluntary self isolation last week with only me going out for supplies as and when needed, she is at risk been pregnant with our twin girls.
I am the only one going out as I have to any way for work on the railways, so I have to run the gauntlet so to speak but where we can avoid the risks we are, just wished people heeded the warnings before now and followed the advice lets make no mistakes we are in lock down now!

If people continue to ignore how truly severe this is then things will only get worse and honestly we will see military personnel deployed to make sure it cannot be ignored any longer and well as much as you may or may not like members of the armed forces remember they are someones loved ones too!
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

Bealman

Yes, there are still a lot of people here ignoring the isolation measures. I see this as the biggest problem here at the moment.

Still, they've closed the pubs, clubs, cinemas, footy, etc which will undoubtedly help. Plus there's the added bonus that it'll save me a heap of money!

Strangely, they've allowed hairdressers to remain open!  ???

You can't cut somebody's hair from 1.5m away!!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

EtchedPixels

Been self isolating for a bit due to Asthma, but then again we mostly self isolate anyway.

Tara has been getting the veg planted and trying to teach other people how to keep and manage 3 months food properly as she grew up in the American south and has always done that. I've been building layouts, building new retro-computer boards (my other crazy hobby) and trying to get my order for components in before I can't get any more (fingers crossed).

And the cat has been disobeying social distancing rules and getting into a fight...

Plus gaming. Currently playing some of the Skyrim mods and it has be said that right now Skyrim seems a lot less dangerous.. nothing worse than dragons to worry about 8)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

stevewalker

Quote from: Bealman on March 23, 2020, 10:27:39 PM
Yes, there are still a lot of people here ignoring the isolation measures. I see this as the biggest problem here at the moment.

Still, they've closed the pubs, clubs, cinemas, footy, etc which will undoubtedly help. Plus there's the added bonus that it'll save me a heap of money!

Strangely, they've allowed hairdressers to remain open!  ???

You can't cut somebody's hair from 1.5m away!!

Yes you can: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8073373/Hairdressers-use-metre-long-brushes-serve-customers-avoid-catching-coronavirus.html

daffy

Following the PM's announcement here in the UK, I'd just like to welcome everyone else who will be joining the isolation clan as from midnight GMT tonight.

Only together but alone can we fight this pandemic.

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

DarrwestLU6

Quote from: ntpntpntp on March 23, 2020, 06:29:56 PM
Whilst I've not been officially classed a "vulnerable" yet I have agreed with the boss to do long term working from home during the day with network connection to my office 'pooter.  I then relinquish the room to junior overnight so he can carry on with his Commercial Music course final year stuff as best he can with Uni closed down. 

The train room is now full of large amps, speaker cabinets, drum kits and bass guitars so not likely to be much progress on the layout for a while - you can just see it at the back. It was due to be at NGSE too!  Yes that 8 string monster on the left is a bass not a standard guitar!

Great photo! Is that a scitar?
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

DarrwestLU6

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on March 23, 2020, 06:33:15 PM
We have been  in self isolation since last Monday as I am 73 suffer with high blood pressure and diabetes ,and Val did have a head injury and was in hospital two years ago with pnuemonia and  still has chest problems so we are at high risk  ,our son works for Chiltern Railways at the ticket office at Gerards Cross and it is now open plan with NO GLASS partition between him and the customers so is only 18 inches away from their faces ,he didn't want to risk bringing the virus back to us even if he didn't get it he could be a carrier .
Both him and our eldest son have been really worried but have been really good bringing essential supplies to us and leaving them on the top step and having a chat with us from at least 2 metres away .
My wife has been sowing ,doing colouring and spring cleaning ,I have been keeping her supplied with tea and sandwiches ,doing the hoovering  watching tele , D V Ds and keeping in touch with friends and playing solitaire .
AND WE HAVNT HAD A RAISED VOICE YET .
SO to everyone please STAY IN , and STAY SAFE  this NOT just having a bad cold this is very serious ,and should not be taken lightly it's NO JOKE it's a killer .
Regards and best wishes
Bob and Val Tidbury

Glad to hear that Bob! My Mum is a similar age and has decided to do loads of gardening and decorating!
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations