Farish class 08 v TT120 class 08

Started by BobB, June 09, 2023, 08:27:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobB

Having watched a couple of YouTube videos of the Hornby TT class 08, I looked at my Farish 08 and conclude that the dental on our N gauge model is better than the Hornby model. If only Farish could get the coupling rods more narrow.

Based on this direct comparison, I don't think a gauge change is worth it. Is there a similar comparison for Hornby's Pacific's ?

bluedepot

yeh the coupling rods are better on the hornby one

the handrails are better on the n gauge one I think

I don't think there is that much difference really in terms of detail

this is just based on watching a few review videos though

tim

Roy L S

I have a TT120 A4 and 08.

No question, the A4 is a very nice model albeit I don't like the fixed rear truck with flangeless wheels. In terms of comparison with the Dapol A4, I would agree that the valve-gear is closer to scale, but the TT120 wheel proportions are rather coarse (albeit to established international standards) quite honestly there isn't a lot in it, I would say the Hornby model is competent but not in any way ground-breaking (bearing in mind the Dapol loco is a fair few years old now).

Comparing the 08s and aside from the beefy rods I would say the Farish loco beats the TT120 one in almost every other respect - it is better detailed, technically more sophisticated (the TT120 loco has a 6-pin socket and no provision for a speaker), I haven't tested my TT120 model but as the body is a plastic injection-moulding it is very light and from all accounts haulage tops out at about 6 coaches, the Farish 08 is capable of pulling a much longer train. Again the TT120 is competent but no more than that, Hornby had an opportunity to create something much more advanced but instead chose (it seems) to design it down to a price which probably says something about their target market not necessarily being just modellers.

With Simon Kohler now "retired" from Hornby and TT120 being very much his vision I will be interested to see where the scale goes now - will it be allowed to die like TT3 did following the death of the Tri-Ang director who was it's driving force, or will it carve a niche? From the items I have bought I have concluded that TT120 isn't going to be a threat to N anytime soon, it doesn't do anything N can't do and to build a layout of equal capacity to an N one would take a board 1/5 longer and 1/5 deeper which in terms of area is actually pretty significant.

Time will tell I guess.

Roy

mrobs2002

I have both, and am very happy with both.

I can't really see the point on comparing one to the other. They are different models in different scales. One will not replace the other. Likewise I'm not going to compare them to my brother's O gauge version.

I posted a quick review of my TT one on the Hornby forum:

• No loop, so have only run it up & down a piece of flex track.
  • Bit hesitant at first, but loosened up now.
  • Goes faster forward than in reverse.
  • Slight wobble, worse in reverse.
  • Easily climbs an 8% gradient (straight track, no load).
  • Front coupling points alarmingly to the left.
  • Yellow on radiators & coupling rods much brighter than chevrons.
  • In conclusion, I love it very much. It's not perfect, but I am very happy with my first bit of TT:120 kit.
  • To do: white paint on cab and front footstep handrails, black wash on radiators and coupling rods.

It is much lighter than the Farish version - plastic vs metal body - but I'm only building a short plank/boxfile layout in TT, so haulage won't be a problem to me. Though I'd be surprised if haulage is only 6 coaches - it seems to be more powerful than that.

Roy L S

Quote from: mrobs2002 on June 09, 2023, 10:01:56 AM
I have both, and am very happy with both.

I can't really see the point on comparing one to the other. They are different models in different scales. One will not replace the other. Likewise I'm not going to compare them to my brother's O gauge version.

I posted a quick review of my TT one on the Hornby forum:

• No loop, so have only run it up & down a piece of flex track.
  • Bit hesitant at first, but loosened up now.
  • Goes faster forward than in reverse.
  • Slight wobble, worse in reverse.
  • Easily climbs an 8% gradient (straight track, no load).
  • Front coupling points alarmingly to the left.
  • Yellow on radiators & coupling rods much brighter than chevrons.
  • In conclusion, I love it very much. It's not perfect, but I am very happy with my first bit of TT:120 kit.
  • To do: white paint on cab and front footstep handrails, black wash on radiators and coupling rods.

It is much lighter than the Farish version - plastic vs metal body - but I'm only building a short plank/boxfile layout in TT, so haulage won't be a problem to me. Though I'd be surprised if haulage is only 6 coaches - it seems to be more powerful than that.

Fair enough, you may not see the point in comparisons but others will want to. While I appreciate comparing an N 08 to an O one may be of questionable value, comparing N to TT 120  may be more so to some people as TT120 is only 1/5 bigger. Like you I have both, and like you TT120 is a side project, to see what benefits it brings, and I was sharing my thoughts as we're you.

Regards

Roy

ntpntpntp

I don't have a TT:120 08 yet as I'd want a BR green one to do the shunting for my A4.  Until that or some other small 0-6-0 steamer comes out I've put my TT project on hold for now. Plenty of N gauge to get on with :)

I do agree Hornby have designed and made the TT:120 stuff down to a reasonable price. The loco and stock in my Easterner set is attractively made and free running.  I don't like the fixed flangeless wheels under the A4 cab, though I admit a real cartazzi truck doesn't swivel.  I'm not too fond of the single axle drive either, you can see the coupling rod slack being taken up when the loco moves off after changing direction. I'm more used to a full geartrain to all axles in my Continental N steam locos.

I am surprised Hornby didn't manage to design enough space into the 08 for their HM7000 sound decoder and speaker, considering Farish offer factory fitted sound in theirs. I'm sure it'll be possible to fit 3rd party DCC sound and stay-alive in the TT:120 08.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

SD35

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.23
Below Goal: £29.77
Site Currency: GBP
70% 
April Donations