Dapol Black Label Product Launch

Started by Bob G, June 01, 2023, 12:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob G

Seems Dapol has launched a "Black label" premium brand in OO. First (?) model to get the Black Label brand (and price) is a OO scale GWR Q13 Inspection Saloon (presumably inspired because the Revolution saloon Caroline was selling well in OO).

So I wondered, what current Dapol N products might qualify for Black Label branding in the future?
Class 50
Class 68
Maunsell coaches, potentially.

I can't think of any steam locos that would qualify.
Certainly not the Yeoman hoppers either.

Any thoughts?

Bob

Steven B

Dapol's first "Black Label" model was a OO Gauge LNER A4 in 2016.
It was a DCC sound fitted model with detailed diecast body and chassis with working (controllable) lamps fitted, together with sprung wheels, and a synchronised smoke generator.

They're using the "Black Label" branding to indicate models with extra details - I can't think of a single N Gauge model in their range at the moment that I'd say fits the bill.

Steven B

bluedepot

good idea to make gwr inspection saloon I think.

people are into all the interior details now - copying rapidio and others in this regard.

tim

Paul J

Does the Black Label brand exist to persuade people into spending £150 on a coach?

Roy L S

At that price I hope it lives up to expectations and doesnt turn out to warrant a "Brown Label"  branding    :D

zwilnik

I'm guessing the brand name came from when whichever VP announced the plan, someone at the back said to his mate, "I bet he drinks Carling Black Label" ;)

Bob G

Well we have had Blue Riband (Farish) which was much better than China production of original Poole Farish. Now there is no Poole Farish in production other than some wagon types the brand seems to have been forgotten in terms of marketing push, although it is still retained as it does help identify secondhand models that are definitely not Blue Riband.

From Dapol we had Platinum introduced at the start of the Dave Jones era, and similarly, now that the tank engines are being re-engineered (notice I didn't say better engineered), and we have second generation diesel locos with better electronics and better motor drives, I can see no reason for that brand to be continued either.

In all honesty, I don't see either of the two main manufacturers able to respond to the new pretenders (EFE, Revolution, Rapido and Sonic) by upping their game, although at the moment we are not seeing the step change in quality we saw happen in the Farish stable when Dapol started in N in 2005. It seems harder to show leaps of progression now, unless it is in DCC features, for example. 

Just my thoughts
Bob

Adam1701D

Quote from: Paul J on June 01, 2023, 01:24:26 PM
Does the Black Label brand exist to persuade people into spending £150 on a coach?
I hope so. :) The idea is to produce a really high-end vehicle with lighting, fully painted interior and DCC options, with a price point to reflect the extra detail. Hopefully this will pave the way for more interesting vehicles to appear (and hopefully get the shrink-ray treatment).
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Newportnobby

Being a DC dinosaur who will never go to DCC I have absolutely no interest in lighting in stock (and even less in sound) and my models are bought to run on a layout – not to gaze lovingly at an interior or fully detailed underframe.
The manufacturers can bring out whatever coloured label they like as long as the usual standard is kept alive at the 'normal' price and these 'superdetailed' thingies are sold at a price I'll never pay in my life.
I really don't know who comes up with this malarkey but believe their time could be better spent getting the quality of every release right

Bob G

Quote from: captainelectra on June 01, 2023, 03:19:28 PM
Quote from: Paul J on June 01, 2023, 01:24:26 PM
I hope so. :) The idea is to produce a really high-end vehicle with lighting, fully painted interior and DCC options, with a price point to reflect the extra detail. Hopefully this will pave the way for more interesting vehicles to appear (and hopefully get the shrink-ray treatment).

I wish you luck, Adam, and I think you will need it. It might work in OO but I doubt it will work in N. The only reason I bought Caroline from Revolution is that I wanted that particular coach. I didn't want it to come all singing all dancing. I'm NOT investing in the Rapido Dynamometer Car. I have enjoyed my Rapido class 28s, and EFE class 17s even though they are not my regional preference. I'm looking forward to Sonic's large prairie. I've almost given up all hope on Dapol either doing the high window Maunsells in BR Green, or the BoB.

As Mick @Newportnobby says, I want things that I want to model, not to gloat over. I'd be much happier if Dapol (or indeed anyone) did an SR 4-6-0, for example, but you chaps at Dapol have been milking your existing good sellers and not making anything truly new in N for years now, apart from class 59 (which is head to head with Revolution), matching hoppers (which suffered from poor QA), and a revamped M7 (which admittedly has a lovely body when its cab roof fits properly, but which has a definite nose-down chassis design).

How long do we have to be patient and uncomplaining, when you put most of your development into OO and O?

Bob

Dorsetmike

Quote from: Newportnobby on June 01, 2023, 03:54:36 PM
Being a DC dinosaur who will never go to DCC I have absolutely no interest in lighting in stock (and even less in sound) and my models are bought to run on a layout – not to gaze lovingly at an interior or fully detailed underframe.

My sentiments also

Quote from: Bob G on June 01, 2023, 04:18:22 PM
I want things that I want to model, not to gloat over. I'd be much happier if Dapol (or indeed anyone) did an SR 4-6-0
Bob

Your singing my tune Bob
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Adam1701D

Hi Bob - please be assured that we have an awful lot of N Gauge releases  under development, some have already been announced but most are still hush-hush.

Before anyone asks, that is not a clue - we are not doing the LNER Hush-Hush.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Bob G

Intercity

If they are bringing out a premium brand for N gauge I sure hope QC improves, details missing, livery errors, questionable shape of bodies, electronics that actually hold up over time (BAT54C diodes anyone?).

Yet_Another

No-one has said that Dapol are bringing out a premium brand in N. This thread starts with a question of "if they did like they have in 00, what would be in it?"
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £60.23
Below Goal: £39.77
Site Currency: GBP
60% 
April Donations