Are metal/metal tyred wheels really the bees knees?

Started by Newportnobby, May 29, 2023, 10:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevewalker

Peco refer to the plastic used for wheels as Hardlon. What that is I don't know.

Mr Sprue

Quote from: stevewalker on May 31, 2023, 11:20:01 PM
Peco refer to the plastic used for wheels as Hardlon. What that is I don't know.

I don't think it's plastic. Isn't 'Hardlon' a ceramic that's used in fishing rod rings?

stevewalker

It might be two different things sharing a name. The Peco wheels are referred to as hardlon and they do seem to be plastic. The "lon" part of the name also suggests plastic - either a modified version of or an alternative to nylon.

Mr Sprue

Quote from: stevewalker on June 01, 2023, 11:05:35 AM
It might be two different things sharing a name. The Peco wheels are referred to as hardlon and they do seem to be plastic. The "lon" part of the name also suggests plastic - either a modified version of or an alternative to nylon.

Yes you could well be right, it got me scratching head though! 

Being someone who's been moulding plastic for some years now I know pretty much all the most common materials that's used in the trade, I even phoned a mate of mine who used to be an MD at big mould injection company. His reply was he thought it to be some gimmick retail name.

martyn

The Peco wheels have been advertised as 'Hardlon' for many years, probably since the range was introduced.

But apart from being plastic, I've no idea what it is.

Martyn

Bealman

Are there many in operation on James Street? Just wondering!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

martyn

@Bealman

Increasingly fewer!

I think all of my goods stock is either Parkside Dundas or Farish, and as I've said, I've even replaced some PDs with Farish, for reasons discussed elsewhere on the Forum. Dave/southerngooner's stock is also mainly, if not entirely, Farish. Steve still has a few Peco wheelsets, but we are slowly changing them to Farish as funds permit, or condemning Steve's older stock to home use only.

It wasn't too bad changing mine (and Dave's) as basically every time we build a kit with Peco chassis, we change the wheelsets as part of the build.

Steve still has a few original Peco wagons, mainly conflats, opens, 12T vans, and mineral wagons, but increasingly all our Peco stock has been replaced by newer Farish, Dapol, and in the case of the Condor set, Rapido.

Martyn .

Bealman

Thanks! As I've said, the highlight of York for me.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations