What is your pet hate/weakness when it comes to building a layout?

Started by Newportnobby, May 25, 2023, 11:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

The one thing I dislike about building a layout is looking for my 'mojo'. Due to one or two other problems lately, 'mojo' has gone off in a huff somewhere and I just can not find it anywhere!  :no:. When I do have 'mojo' by my side, I particularly enjoy scenickery and scratch building.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Newportnobby

Quote from: dannyboy on May 26, 2023, 09:33:28 AM
The one thing I dislike about building a layout is looking for my 'mojo'. Due to one or two other problems lately, 'mojo' has gone off in a huff somewhere and I just can not find it anywhere!  :no:. When I do have 'mojo' by my side, I particularly enjoy scenickery and scratch building.

Again, I would ask if this is a general malaise or do you have a specific 'railway modelling mojo'?

zwilnik

Finding time and/or mojo is definitely an issue for me. That and keeping track reliably running (which probably stems from poor planning in the first place).

dannyboy

@Newportnobby
A bit of a "general malaise" at the moment Mick. And I only got four cards for my birthday yesterday!  :*(  ;), but on the good news front, I received a telephone call from the hospital on Wednesday saying they had a cancellation for next Tuesday - did I want my other eye doing then?  :claphappy: Does night follow day? So maybe, when I get that out of the way, 'mojo' may find its way home.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Newportnobby

Quote from: dannyboy on May 26, 2023, 10:44:00 AM
@Newportnobby
A bit of a "general malaise" at the moment Mick. And I only got four cards for my birthday yesterday!  :*(  ;), but on the good news front, I received a telephone call from the hospital on Wednesday saying they had a cancellation for next Tuesday - did I want my other eye doing then?  :claphappy: Does night follow day? So maybe, when I get that out of the way, 'mojo' may find its way home.  :thumbsup:

That's good news, David @dannyboy Hope the mojo returns soon after

Quote from: zwilnik on May 26, 2023, 10:43:24 AM
Finding time and/or mojo is definitely an issue for me. That and keeping track reliably running (which probably stems from poor planning in the first place).

@zwilnik Not quite sure how poor planning affects running unless 1st radius curves were planned and you now find issues with some locos. :hmmm:
Hope you can work through it, though

zwilnik

Quote from: Newportnobby on May 26, 2023, 11:04:24 AM

Quote from: zwilnik on May 26, 2023, 10:43:24 AM

@zwilnik Not quite sure how poor planning affects running unless 1st radius curves were planned and you now find issues with some locos. :hmmm:
Hope you can work through it, though

Mostly being too ambitious with the planning (again, despite past experience) so the layout's just a bit too big and bits of it are difficult to access to maintain. I've managed to improve some of the worst sections but still get the feeling sometimes that I might have to rip it all up and start again to get it to work properly.

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

joe cassidy

I don't suppose there are many voodoo priests, who might be able to help you find your mojo, in your part of the world ?

chrism

Quote from: joe cassidy on May 26, 2023, 01:11:07 PM

I don't suppose there are many voodoo priests, who might be able to help you find your mojo, in your part of the world ?

Dougal, this n-gauge stuff is small, that real train is far away.
Oh, right you are Ted.

:smiley-laughing:

Papyrus

Yes, I ticked electronics and scratchbuilding, but I can't help thinking there were a few more missing from your list, Mick...

Building baseboards (especially when you finish building them and find they don't fit in your available space  :confused1: );

That well-known ailment, fishplate finger;

Soldering;

and of course, insufficient funds  :*( .

Cheers,

Chris

Firstone18

As with many forum members, time is the main problem for me, followed closely by space, then scenery. Most of my modelling in the various clubs I've been a member of has been on the control side of things both DC and in later years DCC. I'm working up to creating countryside scenery on my small home layout having got the track laid and all running well.
Anyone know of a scenery training course near Milton Keynes?
Cheers :beers:
Finally, after waiting over 55 years I am building a permanent layout in a purpose built shed!

crewearpley40

Hello firstone @Firstone18 try

https://www.missendenrailwaymodellers.org.uk/index.php/scenery-and-dioramas/

https://www.missendenrailwaymodellers.org.uk/index.php/scenery-and-dioramas/

Other subjects are covered. Hope this answers your question

Or why not see if there's a local model railway club or ask on the ngf if someone is willing to help.  Chris

nick_bastable

Newportnobby

Not sure time management and/or loss of mojo are intrinsically linked to railway modelling :no: :hmmm:

joe cassidy

For those of us who are married/shacked up, it is important to achieve a balance between time spent playing with trains, and time spent with one's other half/family.

A passion should not become an obsession.

I limit my train time to when my wife is not there, or doing her own thing at home.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations