What is your pet hate/weakness when it comes to building a layout?

Started by Newportnobby, May 25, 2023, 11:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

OK, so this also applies to any gauge really but I've put electrics first as I believe a large percentage of us have a weakness in that area. This particularly applies to me but I think I'm fairly good with track planning and laying track. I enjoy ballasting but have not done anything round points yet :uneasy: Scenics I'm fine with as shaky hands doesn't limit me like it does in other areas.
You can vote for any three of the 7 I've mooted.
It's a bit of fun but some very helpful posts (and even tutorials) may come of it

Jim Easterbrook

Jim Easterbrook
"I'm an engineer, not an artist!"
"Amoro, emptio, utiliso!"
Personal website. / Photos on Flickr. / Blog.

crewearpley40

Dorsetmike

Advancing age is my main problem, manifesting itself currently as poor hand/eye coordination, especially when trying to fit Peco rail joiners and similar sight dependant actions.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

njee20

Quote from: Jim Easterbrook on May 25, 2023, 11:57:17 AM
Indecisiveness and procrastination.

I don't think I have that problem. But I'll give it some more thought... later

The Q

Weakness no, but 48 years working in electronics,

So that's why I ticked that box... just no enthusiasm for it any more.

I like scenery, and scratch building.

Bealman

After 10 years of whinging and whining on this forum, I don't think I even needed to tick the box!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Yet_Another

In the absence of an "indecisiveness and procrastination" button, I just picked track laying. Not because it's hard, just because I haven't got beyond six baseboards with track on one for the last four years.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

tunneroner61

I thoroughly dislike ballasting and am not keen on scratchbuilding buildings. So those have been voted for.

weave

Dog hair/ right ankle, left heel and right pelvis bone  :)

PS. voted electrics  :dunce: Thank you Kato points :thumbsup:

Nbodger

Mick @Newportnobby , you have a missing option on your voting list "None of the above" for those clever all round modellers  ;) ;)

weave

Quote from: Nbodger on May 25, 2023, 09:19:56 PM
Mick @Newportnobby , you have a missing option on your voting list "None of the above" for those clever all round modellers  ;) ;)

Another option - One's wife?  ;)

Newportnobby

Quote from: Nbodger on May 25, 2023, 09:19:56 PM

@Nbodger Mike - I just assumed clever all round modellers wouldn't be reading this thread :) :wave:

Platy767

Ballasting, or rather lack of, is my weakness. I'm sieving my own blend at the moment after trying different brands and colours.
Also, building DC controllers. There is usually 1 in the process of being built.
Unlike ballasting, the controllers get finished and tested.
Mark

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations