Having hard time getting track plans as a complete noob.

Started by Grassyfield, July 30, 2023, 09:29:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crewearpley40

What era you modelling please ?

Eg steam
diesel
Both ?

50s / 60s
Thanks Michael.. 8x 4 should do it

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Grassyfield on July 30, 2023, 10:43:42 AMso set track is fully/seamlessly compatible with the stream line.

Yes in terms of connecting together.  The track height, rail, look of the sleepers all match.  Setrack pieces have a little extra webbing on the end sleepers (presume for strength around the pre-fitted joiners), and don't try and mix Setrack and Streamline pointwork in the same formation as the geometries are different as I mentioned earlier.

When you start to work with Streamline and flexi track you learn about cutting the rail, cutting away a sleeper or two to fit the rail joiners etc.

This return loop board uses Setrack for the main curves, code 80 flexi for the gentle transition curve and the scenic trackwork on the other board is code 55 :)

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Newportnobby

Quote from: crewearpley40 on July 30, 2023, 10:54:18 AMThanks Michael.. 8x 4 should do it

You appear to have made an assumption a 4 seater dining table is 8ft x 4ft
I'm sat at a 4 seater dining table which is 4ft x 3ft.
I suggest we let the author tell us what size he has to play with (oo-er, missus)

Grassyfield

Quote from: Newportnobby on July 30, 2023, 11:02:30 AM
Quote from: crewearpley40 on July 30, 2023, 10:54:18 AMThanks Michael.. 8x 4 should do it

You appear to have made an assumption a 4 seater dining table is 8ft x 4ft
I'm sat at a 4 seater dining table which is 4ft x 3ft.
I suggest we let the author tell us what size he has to play with (oo-er, missus)

Haha my bad... So i want the size to be 3x5 just like this size on this video here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvinQ1kwzMY&t=621s just the size though i want same lay out.

Grassyfield

Quote from: crewearpley40 on July 30, 2023, 10:54:18 AMWhat era you modelling please ?

Eg steam
diesel
Both ?

50s / 60s
Thanks Michael.. 8x 4 should do it

Both, thanks.

Ed

Thank you so much, so set track is fully/seamlessly compatible with the stream line. Thanks Npt.
[/quote]

Welcome Michael

Don't know if this helps, but when I started modelling again I used Peco code 80 Setrack Curves and Peco Streamline code 80 points and flexitrack. All went together fine and I found it easier to use Setrack curves, rather than try and bend flexitrack to the correct radius.

Ed

Grassyfield

Quote from: ntpntpntp on July 30, 2023, 10:54:41 AM
Quote from: Grassyfield on July 30, 2023, 10:43:42 AMso set track is fully/seamlessly compatible with the stream line.

Yes in terms of connecting together.  The track height, rail, look of the sleepers all match.  Setrack pieces have a little extra webbing on the end sleepers (presume for strength around the pre-fitted joiners), and don't try and mix Setrack and Streamline pointwork in the same formation as the geometries are different as I mentioned earlier.

When you start to work with Streamline and flexi track you learn about cutting the rail, cutting away a sleeper or two to fit the rail joiners etc.

This return loop board uses Setrack for the main curves, code 80 flexi for the gentle transition curve and the scenic trackwork on the other board is code 55 :)

Thanks!, im mainly worried about getting the best / correct easments with flex track because i still dont understand that quite yet. But im sure once i buy it i'll figure it out.

Grassyfield

Quote from: Ed on July 30, 2023, 11:08:58 AMThank you so much, so set track is fully/seamlessly compatible with the stream line. Thanks Npt.

Welcome Michael

Don't know if this helps, but when I started modelling again I used Peco code 80 Setrack Curves and Peco Streamline code 80 points and flexitrack. All went together fine and I found it easier to use Setrack curves, rather than try and bend flexitrack to the correct radius.

Ed

[/quote]

Thank you that's helpful.

Newportnobby

5ft x 3ft is a decent size to have providing you can gain access to all areas

Edit:- if you want the same layout as in the video my suggestion would be to use Kato Unitrack

Grassyfield

Quote from: Newportnobby on July 30, 2023, 11:11:29 AM5ft x 3ft is a decent size to have providing you can gain access to all areas

Yeah i think it is perfect. Cheers!.

Train Waiting

Hello and welcome aboard.  And to the wonderful hobby of 'N' gauge model railways.

I think you are making a good choice starting out with Peco 'Setrack'.  A small first layout using it will be a first-class learning experience.  Your next layout might use a different type of track, or still use 'Setrack', or might even be a combination of both.  After many years in the hobby I have returned to using 'Setrack' because it is so much fun.

As for track plans, Peco produces ideal 'Setrack' plans book which I have illustrated below. The '00' gauge one is also interesting and the track plan for my Poppingham layout was derived from '00' Plan 6, 'The Axmouth and Beer Railway'.  Typing that into 'Bing' or 'Google' as a picture search ought to let you see the plan.  It is straightforward to build an '00' plan in 'N' gauge.  The only thing to beware of is any central operating well will likely be too small to fit into.  But, at quarter the baseboard size, a central operating well is unlikely to be necessary in 'N'.

In 'N', Peco 'Setrack' has four curve radii: Nos. 1 - 4.  It can be a good idea to use No. 2 as your minimum, notwithstanding a plan might use No. 1, as this is the minimum radius suggested by many manufacturers now.  This means you will find a baseboard width of 2'6" ideal.

Poppingham is only 'three by two' because I am using older-style locomotives and rolling stock that are content with No. 1 radius curves.

A great thing about building a small first layout is you quickly learn a lot and, if you then fancy building something more ambitious, you can still enjoy running trains while you build your next layout.

'N' Gauge is Such Fun!

With all good wishes

John

Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Grassyfield

Quote from: Ed on July 30, 2023, 11:08:58 AMThank you so much, so set track is fully/seamlessly compatible with the stream line. Thanks Npt.

Welcome Michael

Ed

[/quote]

That's interesting, so flexi for the straights?, does that hold up very well in terms of being perfectly straight?. Thanks so much that is helpful.

PLD

With regard to the choice of track system, the best advice is, whatever you choose stick with that and don't try to mix different types on the same layout...

With regard to track plans, it depends what you want from it:
If you want a realistic 'Model or a railway', look for prototype plans - don't copy somebody else layout (potentially a copy of a copy of a copy, with inherent flaws and repeated issues)
If you want lots of track to simply "play with trains", Peco have done a number of books over the years. As Mick (Newport Nobby) says, the original compiled by Cyril Freezer were a little optimistic on what could be fitted in the space:
Avoid:
https://peco-uk.com/collections/books-and-planbooks/products/railway-modeller-book-of-n-gauge-track-plans

This more recent version is more realistic:
https://peco-uk.com/collections/books-and-planbooks/products/n-gauge-planbook

If your thinking about US railways as per that video, this is the nearest US orientated equivalent and has good reviews (IIRC based around ATLAS track):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Track-Plans-Model-Railroaders/dp/0890247765

Ed

That's interesting, so flexi for the straights?, does that hold up very well in terms of being perfectly straight?. Thanks so much that is helpful.
[/quote]

I just butted them up against a yard stick/metre ruler edge to get them straight and then fixed them down.

Bear in mind, if you do use flexitrack you will almost certainly need to cut some at some point to get the length you want.

Ed

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations