I live in hope

Started by GlenEglise, July 24, 2023, 10:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlenEglise

I live in hope that in some time not far away we will see

a Farish Caledonian 0-6-0 "Jumbo" Caledonian Railway 294 and 711 Classes were 0-6-0 steam locomotives designed by Dugald Drummond for the Caledonian Railway and introduced in 1883 lasted until the 1960's.
Farish have already produced the similar "C" Class on Southern livery.

A must have for mainline Scottish Diesel in the 1960's

The British Rail Class 21 was a type of Type 2 diesel-electric locomotive built by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow for British Rail in 1958–1960. They were numbered D6100-D6157. Thirty-eight of the locomotives were withdrawn by August 1968; the rest were rebuilt with bigger engines to become Class 29, although those locos only lasted until 1971.

and a Bachmann shrink-ray of the Stanier Porthole Maroon coaches into N.

Why have Farish not released the auxhilary coaches for the NOMIX weedkiller train?

Ah well,

I live in hope.

Newportnobby

All I'd say is "Don't hold your breath", Glen.
I believe the class 21/29s were considered but not enough interest was shown to actually get them on the go

Roy L S

Quote from: Newportnobby on July 24, 2023, 10:27:04 PMAll I'd say is "Don't hold your breath", Glen.
I believe the class 21/29s were considered but not enough interest was shown to actually get them on the go

That's correct Mick, it was RevolutioN Trains who put the 21/29 forward as a potential crowd-funder a few years back but it didn't generate sufficient support at the time. Whether it would succeed if tried again now given that RevolutioN is much better established and more widely known is something to reflect on.

The above being said two other considerations come to mind, the first is that RevolutioN already have a "backlog" of transition models (K Pullmans, Ore Hoppers and Class 128) that are at CAD/pre-CAD stages so they may not want to add to that. Secondly, Dapol have already made the model in OO so have done all the R&D, and were I a betting man (which I am not) were anyone to make one in N if a business case could be made, my money would now be on them.

The 21/29 seems no more quirky that the 17, 22 or 28 classes of diesel, all of which and had a similar service life and have all since been done in N, so who knows, maybe one day we will see it.

As to the Caley "Jumbo" 0-6-0, were that to have been made by anyone it would probably have been the now closed Union Mills Models, but I know from personal exchanges with Colin Heard that after the J38, for whatever reason he wasn't mindful to do any more Scottish steam locos (I would have loved a D34 "Glen").

Regards

Roy

Newportnobby

Maybe the perception of the 21/29 is they were a Scottish based breed but the 21s did spend between 1958 and 1960 on the Eastern Region. That, too, is possibly too small a window for folks to grab one

martyn

Yep, they were well known for breaking down on duties from Ipswich shed......I have a photo or two of them being rescued!

D6100-6109 to Hornsey, 6110-6119 to Stratford, 6120-6137 to Ipswich.

Martyn

GlenEglise

Indeed 21/29's were unreliable so I guess that is why Scotland had them foisted upon them. They were a standard loco for many years on the Scottish mainlines. The Caledonian Jumbo's also were a mainstay within Scotland.

Perhaps someone will recognise the requirements of Scottish Modellers.

I won't hold my breath but it is feasable that
Caledonian Jumbo
NBL Class 21/29
Stanier Porthole
Weedkiller train Additional Vehicles

May one day appear in N Gauge.

Glen

gc4946

I'd welcome the Stanier portholes, some survive in preservation, although most are restored in LMS livery which they never carried, because they appeared after nationalisation in crimson/cream.
In fact a few received rail blue/grey in the late 60s.
Also a Caley 812 survives on the Strathspey railway, I bet quite a few would want or collect a model of that in original pre-group livery. I hope Rails might persuade Bachmann/Farish to commission a production run based on their OO version.
But a RTR North British Rly Glen (LNER D34) would top my wishes!
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations