More decal help please

Started by Bob G, July 10, 2023, 10:27:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob G

Following on from @emjaybee 's request, this is one that's stumping me. @Southerngooner will also need these in the near future too :)

I'm looking for the white/red/white stripe that was used on early diesels (10000-10001) and electrics (20001-3) in the 1960s.
Like this:

If you can help, please let me know. The alternative is to use two sets of mixed traffic lining back to back but that's not a proper fix and there will also be a gap between the white and the red line.

Cheers
Bob

msr

For lining, a useful approach is to make your own using an "adjustable ruling pen", sometimes called a bow pen. If you are not feeling confident to draw directly onto the model then a trick that is worth knowing is to get a sheet of transparent or white decal paper and paint your body colour onto this. Once dried, use the pen to draw the lines and shapes you want for the lining (multiple colours can be drawn this way; just allow each to dry before you apply the next). Use a ruler, of course! Then use a scalpel to cut each strip as required along with a piece of the body colour to give you something to hold and move, and apply to your model as per normal for a decal. I like the Microsol/Microset products to help place and set the decal into position and meld it with the paintwork. Once all is done and dry, seal with varnish.

Decals generally fit more easily with a gloss surface. Once applied you can then change this to matt or satin if you prefer. Weathering can be done at a later stage and your decals will be protected by the varnish.

emjaybee

@Bob G have you trawled through Fox and Railtec?
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Ali Smith

Bob @Bob G have a look at Fox FRH2040 "Diesel Prototypes". This appears to have what you need. It also has a lot of what you probably don't need, but hey-ho.

Bob G

That is indeed the one. Hopefully one sheet will do the two Bulleid Class 70s I have built.

Strangely I had discounted that sheet without looking closely as it seemed to be Twins and Deltic based.

Thanks for the heads up. Had better get some more decals too. This evening's job!

Thanks again.

Bob

Bob G

Close investigation of the Fox site showed that the Twins decals were available separately, so I didn't need to buy DP2, XP64, Lion, Falcon and the like.

Since I have the Twins already, if anyone wants the Twins decals for the 1950s black and silver livery version, just ask.

Bob

PS I did end up buying a load more decals though!

Southerngooner

I looked at this sheet on the net last night and can't see any red on it, so does it actually contain the lining for the Boosters? If not it's back to the paint pens.....

Dave

Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

Bob G

Quote from: Southerngooner on July 12, 2023, 09:00:37 AM
I looked at this sheet on the net last night and can't see any red on it, so does it actually contain the lining for the Boosters? If not it's back to the paint pens.....

Dave

I got the Twins sheet this morning. The red and white lines are separate!. Plus the white is too short for the class 70 and I think the red stripe too thin (probably why you can't see it!!!) However, I have some white lines from their sheet 2006/3N so that might be just about OK. Bit thick perhaps?
Might go back to BR mixed traffic lining if I'm going to have to use two decals per side per loco.
Ho hum.

Bob

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.23
Below Goal: £29.77
Site Currency: GBP
70% 
April Donations