There's lots of locomotives still didn't released for n gauge...

Started by Le Night ferry, July 07, 2023, 04:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martyn

@Bob G

Agree about the maroon Gresleys......not sure the second version is much better.

Now we would like the maroon Farish Thompsons.

Martyn

Dorsetmike

I've just sent messages via their websites to both Farish and Dapol asking why no SR 4-6-0s. Perhaps if a number of us all send similar messages they might wake up.

There may be some truth in the old sayings "nobody models the SR 'cos nobody makes SR locos" or "nobody makes SR locos 'cos nobody models the SR" Judging by recent posts on this forum there are quite a number of us, from a few pre grouping types to BR(S). I model mid 1930s so spam cans & diseasels are out, I've been modelling N gauge since 1974, I'm now 89 so the sooner we get some SR RTR 4-6-0s the better, my eyesight and hand/eye coordination are deteriorating so hacking and kit bashing are getting a bit iffy.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Bad Raven

Given the plethora of some companies steam locos being modelled, the biggest omission for England is for the sizeable Lancs & Yorks. Apart from the Grafar Crab (arguably more LMS than L&Y due its date of introduction, sorry Hughes), the little steam railcar kit, and the aged 0-6-0T saddle tank kit there's a yawning gulf.

Easy chassis conversions for RTR sales would be 0-6-0's like the Class 27, "A", Hughes 4-6-0, but the most noticeable absence and deeply missed of all time is the 2-4-2T in long and short bunker form, with a wide variety of L&Y, LMS and BR liveries all valid, a very successful and long lived loco class, even preserved.

And the chassis would do at a pinch for other 2-4-0T and 2-4-2T, like the LNWR ones.

Never mind, lets have another taper boiler GWR that's near impossible to differentiate from any other..........  (JOKE!!)
Dave

BramptonBranch

Well it wont happen (and very limited as to location I know) but the EM1 and EM2 s green and blue....
I know there's a Shapeways options for the body but a RTR one please!

Mind no one expected a Metro Vick.

Andy

You can never have to many Warships!

Bob G

Quote from: Bad Raven on July 11, 2023, 09:07:40 PM
Never mind, lets have another taper boiler GWR that's near impossible to differentiate from any other..........  (JOKE!!)

You didn't need to say joke to make me laugh 😁😁😁
Don't forget the cabs that might or might not have side windows....

Bob

Steven B

I'd be nice to complete the old Farish catalogue with newer models. The Crab, 4P and the J94, together with the GWR railcar class 25/3, 87 and 91 are still to be re-done.

Moving forwards, a N15 "King Arthur" would be welcome (777 in 1980s condition please!). Whilst 4-6-0s are missing from the SR, 2-6-0s are missing else where - the LMS crab as previously mentioned, together with a LNER K1 would plug some holes. There are also plenty of 4-4-0s to have a go at.

A class 85 and 87 would be high on my list too. With Rapido very likely to do the 45/1 my diesel wish list will be just about full. More liveries on the 37 and 47 would be nice though.

Steven B

eddief83

I am going to be the boring one and try to make sensible suggestions. To me the biggest gaps are on the steam front, post 68 the main types lacking are WCML electrics principally the 87 or Southern 3rd Rail EMU's. But where do the steam gaps lie? Models produced in recent times are as follows:-

LNER - A1, A2, A3, A4, B1, B17, J39, J50
LMS - Duchess, Black 5, Royal Scot, Jubilee, 4F, 8F, Jinty, Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0 and 2-6-2T
GWR - Castle, Hall, Grange, Manor, 28XX, 45XX, 57XX, 64XX, 14XX. 61XX and 63XX announced
Southern - Merchant Navy, Schools, M7, N Mogul, Terrier
BR Standard - Brit, 9F, 5MT 4-6-0, 4MT 2-6-0, 4MT 2-6-4T, 3MT 2-6-2T

The only big freight engines really are the 28XX, 8F and 9F. So LNER is missing your freight hauler. But which one gets the vote? V2 is an obvious choice but surely some kind of O? 2-8-0 or Q 0-8-0 should step forward too. LNER's biggest problem (and this is my favourite so definitely not bashing them) is they kept a lot of smaller classes of 0-6-0's from different pre-grouping. If you pick a J11 then the GER will be upset, if you pick a J15 then the NER will be upset, pick a J27 then the NBR will be upset. Pick a J36 and the GCR will be upset. Similar logic to big freight - do you do an O4 (GCR) or Q6 (NER)? But ideally we need something from this section to cover all bases.

LMS is lacking more smaller engines such as 2P 4-4-0 types. This is where I would want them to look, wishlisting one is a SDJR 7F 2-8-0 to emerge, if one did I would start building an S&D layout tomorrow!

GWR - Your biggest omission to me is a King. Possibly a 47XX and a 10XX County with some of the earlier locos such as the City class that would expand the range. I model the GWR so have a decent fleet already but it is full of duplicates 

Southern - clearly the gap is your mid-range engines, King Arthur, S15 etc.

BR Standard - I would say the main gap is the 75XXX 4MT 4-6-0

In an ideal world I would like to see a large express engine, mixed traffic engine, large freight, small tender engine, Large and small tank engine for each grouping so I have comiled the below, Bold models are my suggestions to complete the gaps so to speak - can anyone suggest a Large Southern Tank?

Express                  Mixed                       Large Freight Small Tender                 Large Tank                   Small Tank
LNER   A1-A4                  B1, B17, V2 O4, Q6   J39, J11/15/27/36 N2/V1/V3  J50, J52/72
LMS   Duchess, Princess      Black5, Jubilee, Scot   8F             4F, 2P                 Fairburn 4MT          Jinty
GWR   Castle, King   49XX, 68XX, 78XX   28XX      Collett Goods      61XX                         14XX, 57XX, 64XX
Southern   Merchant, Light   King Arthur            S15            C Class                                            M7, Terrier
BR   Brit                           5MT, 4MT 4-6-0 9F                   4MT 2-6-0                 4Mt 2-6-4T                 N/A

GAD

LNER 0-6-0T locos. We have the old Farish J94 Austerity and the Sonic J50 Submarine, but the very old Grafar J69 is long gone, and, having owned a couple, not much missed. and both Dapol and Farish promised a J72, which was then dropped by them both.

We seem to have very many GWR Panniers but precious few LNER 0-6-0Ts. No LNER layout would in reality be without at least one, as a branch line loco or station pilot.

BobB

We appear to be turning the thread into a wish list, so here's mine : class 25 with the revised body shape, with the variation of 5 locomotives with heating so there's no unsightly gap between the bogies !
Whilst I prefer corporate blue they did look ok in two tone green as well.

Le Night ferry

Surprised that lots of BR diesels didn't released as n gauge.
Is there London Underground or other city's Metro in n gauge?

Le Night ferry

Quote from: Bad Raven on July 11, 2023, 09:07:40 PM
Given the plethora of some companies steam locos being modelled, the biggest omission for England is for the sizeable Lancs & Yorks. Apart from the Grafar Crab (arguably more LMS than L&Y due its date of introduction, sorry Hughes), the little steam railcar kit, and the aged 0-6-0T saddle tank kit there's a yawning gulf.

Easy chassis conversions for RTR sales would be 0-6-0's like the Class 27, "A", Hughes 4-6-0, but the most noticeable absence and deeply missed of all time is the 2-4-2T in long and short bunker form, with a wide variety of L&Y, LMS and BR liveries all valid, a very successful and long lived loco class, even preserved.

And the chassis would do at a pinch for other 2-4-0T and 2-4-2T, like the LNWR ones.

If I attach bogie, then I could make James finally

Roy L S

Quote from: jmupton2000 on July 11, 2023, 04:12:07 PM
Class 25/3 would seem the obvious one in BR Diesels, Farish have the appropriate modern chassis under their Class 24 and earlier body style 25 but still insist on pumping out the ancient Poole Era tooling 25/3 for some reason.

While I agree a 25/3 would seem logical, in actual fact Bachmann haven't released any Poole era Class 25s for many years (15 or more probably), way before the release of the Class 24 and new DCC ready Class 25/1, they certainly haven't been "pumping them out"!

Bob G

Quote from: Le Night ferry on July 12, 2023, 03:19:55 PM
Surprised that lots of BR diesels didn't released as n gauge.
Is there London Underground or other city's Metro in n gauge?

Nearly all major classes of diesels have been released in N gauge, at some time or another.
Released: shunter classes 03,04,08/09,and larger locos classes 14,17,20,22,24,25,26,27,28,31,33,35,37,40,42,44,45,46,47,50,52,55,56,59 (due),60,66,67,70
Not released: some early non-TOPS classified shunters, plus shunters 01,02,05,06,07,11,12,13,and larger locos classes 15,16,23,29,41,43,53

We are now at the point where sub-classes are being discussed, e.g. a newer version of the 25/3.

Bob

Le Night ferry

Alcazar

Regarding Ex-LNER, a J11 and/or O4/1 would be the obvious choice, as Bachmann already do them in OO. Personally I would like to see a B16 of some description and an N1. A Farish V2 with better pulling powers would also be nice (although mine has got a little better with time).

Peter

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations