rapido doing 15xx pannier in 00

Started by Bigmac, June 30, 2023, 12:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PLD

Quote from: osborns on July 04, 2023, 12:34:38 AMI think it is the big engines that are the most viable
Sonic 56xx and J50 seem to have disproved that...  :hmmm:
The key with both of those is that they have never been done before, and they are both distinctively different to anything else currently available. The 15xx being so different to any other Pannier meets those criteria.

Quote from: osborns on July 04, 2023, 12:34:38 AMThe likes of the King are brushed aside by the manufacturers.
Is the King as distinctly different to a Hall or Castle?? The King has also been sullied by two badly organised attempts to crowd-fund which on the face of it showed that there wasn't sufficient demand and will make any other manufacturer extremely wary (though it's impossible to say for certain whether it was it the model, the funding method or the manufacturer that was the killer...)

Roy L S

Quote from: PLD on July 04, 2023, 07:55:06 AM
Quote from: osborns on July 04, 2023, 12:34:38 AMI think it is the big engines that are the most viable
Sonic 56xx and J50 seem to have disproved that...  :hmmm:
The key with both of those is that they have never been done before, and they are both distinctively different to anything else currently available. The 15xx being so different to any other Pannier meets those criteria.

Quote from: osborns on July 04, 2023, 12:34:38 AMThe likes of the King are brushed aside by the manufacturers.
Is the King as distinctly different to a Hall or Castle?? The King has also been sullied by two badly organised attempts to crowd-fund which on the face of it showed that there wasn't sufficient demand and will make any other manufacturer extremely wary (though it's impossible to say for certain whether it was it the model, the funding method or the manufacturer that was the killer...)

I agree as regards the King, but differ re: the 15xx.

The 56xx and J50 are not really good comparisons to the 15xx in terms of viability as both were larger classes of loco with a much wider geographical spread, greater number of livery variants and a longer service life. The 15xx was a very small class of locos that didn't travel anything like as widely and being introduced after nationalisation, limited livery choices.

While never done as mainstream RTR models before, both the 56xx (Langley and ABS Beaver) and J50 (Graham Hughes and N Brass) have been done as kits, and in fact the N Brass J50 was also available as a very limited run RTR loco.

At the end of the day we don't make the decisions, manufacturers do, and they will have to be satisfied that any model will "wash it's face" financially based on their own sales projections. I would think there are a number of models in their OO range that would be much further up the list for a trip through the "shrink ray" than the 15xx, something like the 16 inch Hunslet or even the LBSCR E1 tank loco to go with their wagon packs by way of just two examples.

Regards

Roy

osborns

A r.t.r. Streamlined Coronation is another matter surely and whilst I am sure the All steel 'K-type' Pullmans from Revolution will be most welcome I was referring to the earlier build match boarded type once produced by Farish

eddief83

Quote from: PLD on July 04, 2023, 07:55:06 AMit's impossible to say for certain whether it was it the model, the funding method or the manufacturer that was the killer...)

If a manufacturer takes on a project that has a model that depicts an item that was running on the national network for around 50 years, would have been seen all over the country and carried numerous liveries, if that project fails to deliver then you have to question the manufacturer and their approach. I am of course referring to kr models and their attempts to produce a shark ballast brake using the djm CAD's. This is the one model they should have made real progress with, I appreciate EFE got the model out using the tooling the factory had but they never showed much in the way of progressing this. That EFE has done 2 runs suggest it was a success

joe cassidy

Quote from: PLD on July 04, 2023, 07:55:06 AM

I agree that the King is not very different to the Castle. For me the main difference is the front bogie on the King. It's so ugly  :(

Hailstone

For me, the advent of Revoution trains, Sonic models and Rapido have greatly added to my stock of locomotives and wagons and with the advent of the K type Pullmans, coaches. this at a time when both Dapol and Farish are offering "retreads" albeit with Dapol acually upgrading some of the chassis.
I fervently hope that the three manufacturers above have given a healthy "kick up the arse" of the type that Dapol gave to Farish with the advent of the 14xx and Autocoach that started me off in N gauge. heres hoping

Regards,

Alex

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations