What Size Box For A Micro Layout?

Started by Artisan, June 26, 2023, 01:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artisan

Hello,

I would like to build a micro layout in a wooden box with a hinged lid. The depth of the box I would prefer would be around 100mm. I have seen a selection of boxes for sale but I am not sure what size box to get. The very simple layout I have in mind is a straight forward oval with scenery. I want to be able to close the lid when not in use and make it small enough to either display on a desk or a shelf. The layouts I have built up to now have always been of a reasonable size but I have never tried to build a micro layout before so I would like some help with deciding what size box I would need. If anyone can suggest a suitable size box I would be very grateful.

Greg
Best regards
Greg

JanW

Maybe Kevin @Phoenix can give you ideas and inspiration?
I don't know if you found his layout Windmill Hill but it's worth looking at  :)
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39207.1410

Jan

Artisan

Hello Jan

Thank you for your reply.

I hadn't seen the layout but just had a look. Based on what he has done I think his layout is a bit too big. What I want to achieve is, for want of a better word, pocket sized. In my minds eye I think the box would need to be about the size of an average sized briefcase. I suppose what I need to know is how tight a curve I can get away with that will easily allow a small loco and small carriage or two goods vans to run unhindered and as I have never been good with understanding radiuses so I'm finding it difficult deciding on what box size I need.

Greg
Best regards
Greg

mrobs2002

I've seen a Youtube video of an N gauge loop & siding in a standard A4 boxfile. Used Kato 117mm radius curves and an 08 class shunter, I think. Can't find it now of course . . .

Edit: Found it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pQeqIvIBb0

Gyppy101

Artisan

Hello,

Thank you for the link to Ian Redman. Very help.

Greg
Best regards
Greg

Gordon

Kato Unitrack is undoubtedly the best medium for such a compact layout with very robust sectional track down to 117mm radius. Personally I would opt for the 150mm radius. With up to date engineering quality models you would be surprised what goes round 150mm radius 
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

RBTKraisee

"The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars" -Robert Heinlein
An Ex-Pat Brit:  Two decades living in Florida and still an unhealthy shade of "British Tourist White"

Steam Locomotive Wheel Dimensions: https://www.shorturl.at/xAEKW

All my available products are listed in the first post in my workbench thread.

AlexanderJesse

@Ross : he mentioned wooden boxes ... definitely more style than a "leather imitation" ...

- as radius, I think 150mm should be preferred. That makes the minimum box width about 340mm
- closing a 100mm high box: consider making a higher scenery element detachable. Same goes for the background.
- it also might be an idea to build the layout in the lid...you get a better view on the trains and scenery
=================
have a disney day

Alexander

Remember: vapour is just water and therefor clean

silly moo

I have just made a micro layout that fits into a mdf storage box that measures 320mm x 400mm by 190mm deep (it doesn't need this depth but I already had the box)

It has an oval of Kato 117mm radius track.

The layout is a removable insert that fits into the box which made it much easier to work on. I'm in the process of making another insert/layout for the box.

I found the Kato track very good to work with and would recommend it for ease of use. I can run Farish Austerity tanks, Poole Farish 08 shunter, Minitrix Dock tanks and a Tomix Percy. They pull a selection of Peco four wheeled wagons and a short wheel base brake van.

I'll try and post a photo.

PS The lighthouse folds down for storage.

silly moo

EtchedPixels

Whatever you have handy.

My smallest one is in a shoebox (and no it's not a roundy-roundy layout!

http://zeniv.linux.org.uk/~alan/BootLaneGoods/

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

dannyboy

@silly moo very nicely done Veronica. Likewise @EtchedPixels The picture in your post is not showing for me, but having looked at the link, another nice layout. Just goes to show that you do not need a big space.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Artisan

Quote from: Gordon on June 26, 2023, 11:58:12 PM
Kato Unitrack is undoubtedly the best medium for such a compact layout with very robust sectional track down to 117mm radius. Personally I would opt for the 150mm radius. With up to date engineering quality models you would be surprised what goes round 150mm radius

Thank you for the advice on the track. I do have a reasonable amount of spare Kato track which I need to check. But as my luck normally goes I won't have any 150mm radius curves!  :D

Greg
Best regards
Greg

Artisan

Quote from: Gordon on June 26, 2023, 11:58:12 PM

Thank you for the advice on the track. I do have a reasonable amount of spare Kato track which I need to check. But as my luck normally goes I won't have any 150mm radius curves!  :D

Greg
Best regards
Greg

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations