Triang catalogues.... 1962-1967

Started by Bealman, March 28, 2020, 06:16:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

railsquid

What's a "suss column"?

Quote from: Bealman on April 08, 2020, 06:46:13 AM
Scenic slot car sets never really caught on, did they? T

I suspect controlling a car buzz through the scenery just doesn't have the same appeal as watching a train rolling through the same by itself.

Newportnobby

I never had the faintest interest in slot cars of any kind. A train set could be made to look 'fairly' realistic but all my cousins did was slap bits of road together and then enjoy spinning the cars off the track. The only benefit I could see was the slot car stuff was easier to dismantle.

Train Waiting

Quote from: Bob G on April 07, 2020, 01:09:02 PM
I shall have to look out my old catalogues and continue the thread.
Just don't know quite where they are....
Bob

Please let me know if these succeed in hiding from you, Bob.  By co-incidence, my run of catalogues starts where George's stopped!

In the meantime; what about this?

Unfortunately, it does not have a year in the print code as far as I can tell.  It's R/166/4.  It's 'Tri-ang Hornby' in the style of the 1966 catalogue.  Locomotives shown in the booklet are:
'EM2', Railcar, Diesel Shunter, '3F', '3F' 0-6-0T 'Jinty', 'B12', 'L1', 'Britannia' and a maroon 'Princess Royal'.  As there are none of the 1966 introductions shown, I'd guess at 1965 or 1966 as the year of publication.

George remarked on the excellent artwork in the catalogues.  These illustrations, together with old magazines, Ladybird books and a 'Thomas the Tank Engine' provided much of the inspiration for Poppingham.

What a splendid thread, many thanks George.

Best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Bob G

I *Think* I know where they are, but I'm a little larger than I was when I placed them there for safety :) (i.e. behind the drawers on which my layout sits). My wife used to be able to reach them, I shall see if she can get in there :)

The Track Plans catalogue dates from between the period of edition 11 and 12, i.e. the very start of Triang-Hornby. I had track plan no 3 on the floor on a white sheet, and it evolved to Plan 5.

I submitted a Hornby Memory to the Hornby people (like Pete Waterman did) and they asked me if they could use it. I of course said yes. Here is my Hornby Memory (and it is actually wrong as the chocolate and cream coaches were actually carmine and cream - but a dark carmine. By the time they reintroduced blood and custard in 1970 it was a hideously bright colour).

It was Christmas 1965. I was 5 years 3 months old, had Scarlet Fever, and was quarantined from all my school friends. A bit like today really. I was very contagious and covered in spots.
I'd had the Holiday Express train set for my Birthday three months previously – a B12 4-6-0 no 61572 and two Chocolate and Cream Mk 1 coaches. I woke up on Christmas day to a mass of track and points, a station, and a Freightmaster trainset. A Brush Type 2 diesel and seven wagons (I can reel them off even today – Horse Box, Cattle Wagon, Milk Tank Wagon, Tri-ang Container Wagon, Three Container Wagon, Drop Side Wagon and Brake Van). We now had enough track to make the 6 x 4 track plan no 3 in the Track Plans Book of the time, but we didn't have a baseboard, so this was laid out for me by my dad on a white sheet on the carpet in the front bay window of our house. I sat and played trains and my friends could only look in and see me transfixed in a different world, oblivious to them peering in.
The white sheet became two paste tables by the next Christmas, and I'd upgraded to Plan 5 in the track plans book, before I eventually got my 6 x 4 board in the spare room, Winston Churchill, and some pullman coaches.
I still play trains 55 years later, and I am still transported into my little world that I have created.

Robert Gregory
Age 5 ¼.

Ah memories
Best
Bob

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bealman

John: I can spot some of those shiny rubber trees in the background of that trackplan book!  :thumbsup: ;D

They were the "conker trees" if I recall  ;)

Bealman

Epilogue's Epilogue.

As inferred earlier, The young Bealman did add a few bits and pieces to the Minic set over the course of 1968. A few extra curves, and a junction component which allowed a Le Mans style start to a race:

Here is the operating mechanism of the junction. As can be seen, the copper blades are quite thin and flimsy. If a car hit one at high speed when it was set against it (which could happen on the inside track, if the driver had forgotten to turn the junction back to straight), damage could result. The operating levers can be seen on each side of the road.

Here is a close-up of the cross-over:

Bealman also acquired a Frontier Post/Customs working feature that year:

It came in CKD form, but slotted together easily enough. Now this was a fun bit of gear!

As mentioned earlier, the mechanism to raise and lower the barrier was clockwork, but really quite ingenious. The clockwork motor turned a wheel with plastic pegs you could add or remove to adjust the timing of the barrier.

The central yellow panel outlined a points system you could use for rally games, but me and me mates never bothered with that. We'd be just hooning around smashing into the barrier. It took a hiding!

The thing actually worked when I got it back to Australia in 1990, and the young Bealettes had a lot of fun with it. But then Dad overwound it, and.... that was the end of that.

Anyway, that's the official end of this thread - mainly an exercise in nostalgia for me, along with a way of occupying myself during this mess we're all going through at the moment and if it has brought enjoyment to members (which the positive comments seem to suggest), then I'm happy.

Cheers, George.  :beers:

crewearpley40

I have as much as others enjoyed this thread. Nogalstic but not a motor racing or car fan, it's certainly brought memories. Thank you for posting in the first place george

Graham

thoroughly enjoyed it George. good one.

Train Waiting

Quote from: Bob G on April 08, 2020, 11:42:16 AM
I *Think* I know where they are, but I'm a little larger than I was when I placed them there for safety :) (i.e. behind the drawers on which my layout sits). My wife used to be able to reach them, I shall see if she can get in there :)

The Track Plans catalogue dates from between the period of edition 11 and 12, i.e. the very start of Triang-Hornby. I had track plan no 3 on the floor on a white sheet, and it evolved to Plan 5.

Many thanks, Bob; that's helpful.  This edition of the track plans booklet is featured in catalogues 14 and 15 but it's a different edition, including 'System 6' track, in catalogue 16.  By co-incidence, my 6' x 5' layout was based on Plan 5 as well.

There is another charming full-colour illustration inside this booklet.  It is either a different layout or, perhaps, the 'other' side of the layout featured on the front and rear covers:-

With best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Newportnobby

Those very nice catalogues also showed the biggest drawback of the gauge - short trains!
I would never have bought a 3 car Blue Pullman :no:
Could you actually buy the other 3 cars as separates?

Bealman

Yeah you could.... listed as R.426, Pullman Parlour Car type 6, with seats in the Eleventh edition (1965). They'd all be the same, though.

That's another great pic, @Train Waiting . Shows the uncoupling ramps at the start of sidings and loops really well.

I'm trying to think who put out those backscenes - they were very popular at the time. Was it Biltezi?

martyn

I have a vague feeling that Kitmaster may have made some of the BP cars, but, never having had one, I'm not sure.

I don't think I ever saw more than a three car unit actually running.

Thanks for starting the thread, @Bealman ; it has certainly brought back a lot of memories!

Nigel, @ntpntpntp, belatedly, thanks for the photo of the synchrosmoke Jinty; that's exactly how I remembered it, and I'm glad my memory was working correctly!

I'm sure I saw in the catalogues the 'Rocket' set. I also had one of these, but not until about the late 70's/early 80's, or even later? Presumably there was some sort of re-issue, but I can't now remember. It was sold about 20 years later, having only been out of the box for about three test runs, to pay for some 'N' rolling stock.

Martyn

Bealman

That was a nice little model, that, even if the big brass gear on the axle was unavoidably visible, if I recall.

It even had smoke at one point, I think!

tunneroner61

Kitmaster did indeed make a full range of kits for the Midland Pullman - see http://www.kitmaster.org.uk/

Norman

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations