The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

I have frequently thought the UK has, in actual fact, been just another state of the USA but the TV coverage of today's inauguration just confirms it. Why should our TV schedules be shot to pieces to provide mass coverage of an event so far away. A cynic might think it's because the UK TV channels are secretly hoping for a mass firefight between armed Trump supporters and the National Guard but, of course, I'm not that cynical :angel:
Such extended TV coverage never seems to apply in the case of other countries swearing in a new President/Governor/Despot*
(I do like American Football, though)

*Delete as appropriate

guest311

" I'm not that cynical"

who says that would be cynical, when UK TV reporters are actually in the congress interviewing the rioters ?

personally, I'd have laughed myself silly if they'd been given a good dose of CS gas, much as reporters encouraging rioters in many other situations, Israel, Lebanon, Ulster, then moaning if they catch a rubber bullet.

but then, I'm a miserable old 'product of unmarried parents'  :)

emjaybee

Quote from: class37025 on January 20, 2021, 05:31:31 PM
" I'm not that cynical"

who says that would be cynical, when UK TV reporters are actually in the congress interviewing the rioters ?

personally, I'd have laughed myself silly if they'd been given a good dose of CS gas, much as reporters encouraging rioters in many other situations, Israel, Lebanon, Ulster, then moaning if they catch a rubber bullet.

I have no time for the British media. Their role in our society is supposed to be to report news, ask questions and to get to the bottom of facts. Instead, they're constantly trying to push their own views, make news themselves and just provoke MP's, celebs, and other figures into blowing up to create a story.

The BBC will NOT be getting a new licence fee off me, and neither would any other media organisation receive money from me.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

dannyboy

" I'm not that cynical"

reporters encouraging rioters in many other situations, Israel, Lebanon, Ulster, then moaning if they catch a rubber bullet.

Why does the brilliant 'Drop The Dead Donkey' spring to mind?  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

daffy

Sad day. An end of 4 years of comedic inspiration. :(
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

stevewalker

I must admit that I switched channels to something else shortly agter it came on - specifically because I thought that something going badly wrong was the only reason for watching it.

steve836

Quote from: daffy on January 20, 2021, 06:01:28 PM
Sad day. An end of 4 years of comedic inspiration. :(

I agree, but if it were not for my faith I would be concerned that such a person was the commander in chief of one of the worlds most powerful armed forces.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

steve836

Quote from: emjaybee on January 20, 2021, 05:51:27 PM
" I'm not that cynical"

I have no time for the British media. Their role in our society is supposed to be to report news, ask questions and to get to the bottom of facts. Instead, they're constantly trying to push their own views, make news themselves and just provoke MP's, celebs, and other figures into blowing up to create a story.

The BBC will NOT be getting a new licence fee off me, and neither would any other media organisation receive money from me.

Totally agree except that as long as it's a legal requirement to pay the licence fee I will comply, however I take every opportunity to  encourage the government to defund the BBC unless they change.

emjaybee

Quote from: steve836 on January 20, 2021, 06:40:33 PM
Quote from: emjaybee on January 20, 2021, 05:51:27 PM
" I'm not that cynical"

Totally agree except that as long as it's a legal requirement to pay the licence fee I will comply, however I take every opportunity to  encourage the government to defund the BBC unless they change.

I have no intention of breaking the law.

If you don't watch the BBC live or use the BBC website you don't legally need to purchase a licence. (It's a little more detailed than that  but that's the bare bones.)
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Newportnobby

Back to my point (and I have no axe to grind with Trump or Biden as I see it as really none of our business who gets voted in), does American TV devote hours of coverage to the UK getting a new PM, for example? I ask out of complete ignorance.

daffy

My bet is they don't, Mick. I have an idea we get all this American coverage because of this thing the politicians here call 'the special relationship' with the US. Maybe we had one once upon a while, but I would question whether such a thing exists these days. Or if it does, if it is of any real significance or import anymore. :hmmm:

What gets me is on UK television today the inauguration was shown on ITV, BBC1 and the BBC News channel. I wouldn't be surprised to find it was even being shown on BBC Parliament channel as well. That's just over doing it, though I turned off after the first few minutes and did something useful.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Newportnobby

And finally from me on the subject, whilst there are millions struggling to pay for the roof over their head and/or put food on the table, was there really any sense on spending millions on fireworks for the inauguration in the current climate?
Signed
A Party Pooper

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Newportnobby on January 21, 2021, 10:44:43 AM
And finally from me on the subject, whilst there are millions struggling to pay for the roof over their head and/or put food on the table, was there really any sense on spending millions on fireworks for the inauguration in the current climate?
Signed
A Party Pooper

Fireworks....   that was the air defence system when they heard Trump was flying back  :D

Newportnobby

Quote from: Snowwolflair on January 21, 2021, 10:53:19 AM
Signed
A Party Pooper

Fireworks....   that was the air defence system when they heard Trump was flying back  :D

I thought they'd scrambled some jets and, by mistake, sent up a jest

steve836

Signed
A Party Pooper

People who work in firework factories need to eat too.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations