The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sprintex

Either use the 'Other' box (if there is one) and write "English" or alternatively don't tick any boxes and write 'English' on the form ;)

Paul

Agrippa

In olden days Bavaria was a kingdom and Texas was a republic I think so you could have
these as nationalities, ditto England , Scotland and Ireland , not sure about Wales.
I'm Scottish and British like someone is Texan and American. If you get a silly form
put down Klingon or Venusian to annoy some bureaucrat.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Newportnobby

If you're an English football supporter don't forget to spell it "Engerland"
If you're an English cricket supporter just spell it "Rooooooot" :D

Newportnobby

Looks like my Yahoo mail account has been hacked again - that's twice in 2 weeks.
Humble apologies to anyone who has received a spurious mail from me.
I run AVG and the free version of Malwarebytes and have a password containing at least 7 letters and 3 numbers but still some low life with no life seems to be having great fun :censored:
Would AVG/Malwarebytes detect a key stroke logger? :help:

MikeDunn

Surely email address spoofing is more likely ?

daveg

Not sure what the diff is between hacking and spoofing but it looks like I've been hacked recently and a few of my pals got weird emails from 'me'.

I received one from me again this morning inviting an email assignation of the dubious kind.

As I marked the incoming as spam, email provider 'is investigating further'.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.  :veryangry:

Dave G

MikeDunn

Quote from: daveg on August 11, 2015, 02:19:26 PM
Not sure what the diff is between hacking and spoofing
"Hacked" is they've gotten your password (maybe by a brute force attack) & are using your actual account (is there lots of crap in your 'sent' box ?).

"Spoofing" is where they use your email name as the source, because mail servers don't do any checks that the stated sender address is actually on the mail server being used ... so that a Yahoo email actually comes from Yahoo, for example.

Most reports of "I've been hacked !" are actually spoofs ...

daveg

Thanks Mike

Odd that only a selection of mates got that weird email but I did advise all on my contacts list of my suspicion. I wonder if I'm now classified as bad to some and default to their spam folder?

I try and keep the In and Sent boxes tidy and have folders for a lot of my contacts. No rubbish spotted in the sent folder Trash and spam folders are regularly checked and emptied.

Some time back I got an email from my dad who died some 2 years before but this is the first time I have had an email from me that I didn't send!  :confused2:

Dave G

Newportnobby

Yeah - it would seem I've also been sending myself mails :doh:
Like Dave, I keep everything in folders and have no odd sent mails.
I'm gonna copy all my contacts into a separate file (Word) and then delete them from my Yahoo Mail in the hope it stops folks getting rubbish mails. It'll be a PITA but worth it methinks.
Thanks to those who've let me know I've been 'done over' :thumbsup:

MikeDunn

Quote from: daveg on August 11, 2015, 02:58:28 PM
Odd that only a selection of mates got that weird email
Could be one of them has been hacked or otherwise had the address book ripped off, hence the limited distribution ?  They may see their addresses being used in future spams ...

guest311

Quote from: daveg on August 11, 2015, 02:58:28 PM
Thanks Mike

Odd that only a selection of mates got that weird email but I did advise all on my contacts list of my suspicion. I wonder if I'm now classified as bad to some and default to their spam folder?

I try and keep the In and Sent boxes tidy and have folders for a lot of my contacts. No rubbish spotted in the sent folder Trash and spam folders are regularly checked and emptied.

Some time back I got an email from my dad who died some 2 years before but this is the first time I have had an email from me that I didn't send!  :confused2:

Dave G

good to hear there is free Wi-Fi in heaven, if I get to go there I'll be able to keep up with this forum  :smiley-laughing:

with my luck I'll go to the other place, and it will only have BT ....... 'can I be helping you'

seriously, must have been a hell of a shock for you. hope it didn't cause too much trauma.

regards

alan

Yet_Another

Is there something that they all have in common? eg. if only mates from a particular forum are getting messages, it may be that email addresses have been harvested from that forum.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Newportnobby

The selection of the contacts for spam mails being sent by 'me' seems to be random from my list of relatives, friends, companies etc I deal with, Tony. It's not as if all the contacts are used every time  :confused1:

daveg

Quote from: newportnobby on August 11, 2015, 03:42:33 PM
The selection of the contacts for spam mails being sent by 'me' seems to be random from my list of relatives, friends, companies etc I deal with, Tony. It's not as if all the contacts are used every time  :confused1:

Ditto. Some are rarely used and a few others more frequently.

Dave G

dannyboy

Quote from: railsquid on August 11, 2015, 01:47:25 AM
Unless there's an English nation state, it's highly unlikely you could describe nationality as "English". What does your passport say?

Just checked my passport - it states that I am a "British Citizen"! I'll shut up now.  :) David.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations