The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skyline2uk

Quote from: MikeDunn on July 21, 2015, 10:30:23 PM
You did pay by cc, didn't you ...  :uneasy:

I don't own a credit card, so that would be a problem  :hmmm:

Anyway just spoken to a very nice lady at the manufacturer who has informed me of the next date for batch manufacture of my cooker. I am prepared to wait as its next month. Quite apart from the fact that I am doing their job for them, if Argos had just told me this instead of promising it within 10 days I would have had no issue!

Not a good review coming Argos way when finally delivered 😝

Skyline2uk

Skyline2uk

Quote from: Only Me on July 22, 2015, 06:01:03 PM
Get your miney back mate and go to ao.com 24hour service and much cheaper!

Our new oven was purchased on the Friday and delivered saturday am! Also the cheapest place about!

Normally would agree with you 100%. I used AO for 3 out of 4 of our new appliances when we moved in.

Alas don't stock the cooker we wanted so went for this one on sale.

Skyline2uk

Zogbert Splod

I do shop at Argos, but not on line, nor do I order anything that requires them to deliver.  I kid you not - I have bought four major items (requiring delivery) in the last eighteen months and every one of them had to go back for replacement, one of them twice.  On every occasion this was due to handling damage, dings and dents...

Nah, not again.....
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

lionwing

Credit cards...that reminds me...

My wife is a fan if iphones.  I on the other hand have never been a fan of Apple products or software.  There are so "closed" and unfriendly to non-Apple products / software it is unreal!

Earlier this week both my wife & I changed our mobile phones.  Mine was a simply process...activate the new sim (took ten minutes), move the memory card over to the new phone, sign the phone into my Google account...sorted...twenty minutes tops and everything I need to use the phone was there!

Apple...well...first off all you need a "tool" to open the sim slot, the whole phone then needs backing up to itunes (that's an hour of messing around I won't get back) and then the new phone plugging in and then all the backed up data had to be copied back...(another forty five minutes)...so after nearly two hours it was done.

Along the way itunes reminded me that it requires a valid payment method...i.e card details.  Well as we don't purchase from itunes...I didn't bother putting one in.

So...we had a old iphone which my son had asked if he can have.  Yup no problem.

I started the setup process so that I could hand him to him all ready to go.  Being as he is eleven his Apple ID needs to be tagged to a adult account.  Ok..so after mmm..let's say a another thirty minutes spent doing this Apple tells me it needs payment details without which it cannot setup up a Family Account. 

Reluctantly I pulled by debit card from my wallet and entered the details..."card cannot be validated" said Apple..."You cannot use a debit card...you must use a credit card.."...why?  I have no idea but with the time spent sorting out two iphones, my adversity to owning a credit card and now what is a serious dislike of Apple products I'ill be glad if I never see the miserable bitten apple again!

I honestly don't even think they are well design products as so many people think.  At best I find them "clunky" and lacking obvious user friendly features that Android offers. 

Simple stuff like looking up a Contact..Apple needs two inputs to do this...Android...one!  Not a big thing at all but carry this design element through the whole system and I wonder what people see in Apple.

I really hope Apple don't ever design a car! That would be catastrophic...to open it of course you would need to own other Apple products because they would have the "key" programmed into them, it could only be filled up at Apple approved petrol stations (well rather than use a standard phone charger Apple have designed their own which changes everytime they bring a new model out)...and or course they would log every journey you took and then use the collected data to profile you as a person and send you personal advertising....

Ok...as you were...rant over...

:)
Richard - Stop before the buffers!

paulprice

I have just seen toilet roll with a "balm" added to help provide comfort........what in the name of God is that all about???

I don't know about you chaps, but my AR :censored: can tell the difference between a wiping with crushed glass or IZAL paper I believe it called  and normal toilet roll and that's about it.

WHAT DO WE NEED A BALM FOR? AND If we do need one how long do you wipe your AR :censored: for before you "feel" the benefit??

I can just about see the point of coloured roll, if only to wind the other half up when I deliberately by colours that calash with the bathroom  :P but come on. and that's another thing, when did they become bloody quilted, and that's before you even get the double quilted variety.

AND, super absorbent, ITS NOT if it was SUPER ABSORBENT it would soak up all the water in the bowl and it DOSENT. AARRRGGGHHHHHHH

lionwing

Calnefoxile

Quote from: paulprice on July 23, 2015, 02:07:23 PM
I have just seen toilet roll with a "balm" added to help provide comfort........what in the name of God is that all about???

I don't know about you chaps, but my AR :censored: can tell the difference between a wiping with crushed glass or IZAL paper I believe it called  and normal toilet roll and that's about it.

WHAT DO WE NEED A BALM FOR? AND If we do need one how long do you wipe your AR :censored: for before you "feel" the benefit??

I can just about see the point of coloured roll, if only to wind the other half up when I deliberately by colours that calash with the bathroom  :P but come on. and that's another thing, when did they become bloody quilted, and that's before you even get the double quilted variety.

AND, super absorbent, ITS NOT if it was SUPER ABSORBENT it would soak up all the water in the bowl and it DOSENT. AARRRGGGHHHHHHH

Paul,

Brilliant!! Best rant of the day so far.

Now I was chuckling at lionwings effort about the Iphone, but decided that his was more a 'whinge' than a 'rant'.

Yours on the other hand is a 'rant' about modern life that would be funny on Room101 and so sir, I award you the 'Rant of the Day', you don't actually get anything, apart from the satisfaction that you at least brightened my day up no ends.

Well done  :claphappy: :claphappy: :claphappy:

Regards

Neal

P.S. Samsung tablets are coffee spray proof, as long as you wipe them quickly   ;) ;)

lionwing

So this is a competition now.

Well sit down and read this...

As Paul has brought up the topic of Bathrooms I bring your attention to the "Push / Pull Plug".

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bathroom-Basin-Push-Lever-Waste/dp/B0098Y7XPO

There are examples around the world of something being considered a good idea but is perhaps not actually that useful.  The PPP fits that category.  The level of engineering, precision design and investment needed to manufacture this item far exceeds its actual usefulness!

The humble plug on a chain is the one and only solution needed to stop water running down the plug hole of a basin or bath...that's it..nothing else needed!

I would have hoped at some point during the design process that there was a conversation that involved the words..."Really..."..."No.."..."Design something useful or go home"...

Winge / rant over...

Malc

Quote from: lionwing on July 23, 2015, 03:21:49 PM

The humble plug on a chain is the one and only solution needed to stop water running down the plug hole of a basin or bath...that's it..nothing else needed!
Unfortunately, there seem to be hundreds of avid plug and chain collectors out there. Every public convenience seems to have been visited and the plugs nicked. At least with the plunger type, there is a chance of it still being there.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Newportnobby

Just taken Mum into hospital to have an operation and she was told to report to admissions at 18.00hrs.
Yeah - you've guessed it. Admissions was closed :censored:

MikeDunn

I think I can guess ... but did they admit her ?

Newportnobby

Quote from: MikeDunn on July 23, 2015, 09:14:17 PM
I think I can guess ... but did they admit her ?

We just went straight to the ward Mum had been advised about in a letter, Mike.

Bob Tidbury

I hope it's nothing serious Mick please give her my regards I was pleased to meet her at Conway show .
Bob

MikeDunn

Phew !  No doubt both of you were a bit leery on them admitting her ...

Hope all goes well  :thumbsup:

MikeDunn

Well ... what an evening ...  :confused1:

Had the BT bod in today, setting me up with a new faceplate and a fibre modem - yup, the village now has fibre broadband (waited 7 months for them to finish wiring the box up !  :o ) & it seems I may be the first connected ...  ::)  So that belongs in the Happy Thread, yes ?

Well ... no ... not really ...

Ran some speed tests this morning, and was getting about 1Mb up & 10Mb down (not bad for a connection that's supposed to be 6Mb !!!).  With fibre, I was seeing 2Mb up (hmmm - well, faster but hardly the 20Mb promised ... but maybe that's part of the 10 day "settling in" stuff  :uneasy: ).  The down speed was a whopping 2Mb :smackedface: ... say what  :censored: .  Gave it a while, and it ranged from 0.5Mb to 2.2Mb  :censored:  Not happy - an 80% decrease over ADSL !!!  :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry:

Gave the ISP a call (PlusNet), and after 35 minutes queued up :scowl: had the phone answered ... ran through a bunch of stuff with the guy, & he agreed things weren't looking right ...  He went off to get some tests done, & called back about 30 mins later.  We ran through more tests, and after almost an hour we'd determined that SWMBO's tablet on wireless hits 40Mb down & just under 20Mb up when a few foot away from the device - but a rapid drop-off moving away.  Seeing as wireless had always been pretty good (when on the old kit ...) I'm blaming this PN kit  :thumbsdown:

So he arranges for 2nd/3rd line to call me before Monday :hmmm: & I have my tea ... after which I start "playing" ...

Plugging a lappie straight into the BT modem, I get 12Mb up and 75Mb down - now that's more like it !  Except all the systems are in other rooms, not in the hallway (that's why we have wireless  ::)) !  Swap into the PN router - 75Mb down & 15Mb up  :thumbsup:  OK, so on LAN it's not  :poop:

Check SWMBO's PC on wireless - 5Mb down, 4.5Mb up  :worried:  Swap in the wireless dongle for the RasPi and it goes to 0.15 down & 2.25 up  :computerangry:  Move back to my PC, and the normal dongle is 5.6Mb down & 5.8Mb up; using the RasPi dongle it's 17Mb down & 15Mb up  :confused2:

The moral of the story ?  Stick with ADSL !!!  Don't use wireless with PN kit  :headbutt:  Looks like I'll have to buy me either a decent fibre wireless router (as my ADSL one apparently can't function with the BT modem)  or I get a set of Powerline modules ...  ARGH !!!  Will see what PN say, maybe they'll send me a decent box - or maybe not !  :hmmm:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations