The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinbob

Just dropped my brand new Nokia 930 on concrete and cracked the screen. Still - only 23 payments to go before its mine!! - cracked screen and all.
Only last week I was thinking - should I get it insured?... Oh well, that's life.

Fortunately everything is still working so I don't have to go and buy a new one yet.
:'(
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

daveg

Now, that is very sad AB.

If it's a big cost to fix is it not possible to claim on 'accidental damage' through household insurance?

Having suggested that please be careful as I understand even if you contact your insurer regarding a *potential* claim, that can go on your database record and affect future premiums!  :(

Dave G

FeelixTC

Quote from: austinbob on July 01, 2015, 09:46:13 AM
Just dropped my brand new Nokia 930 on concrete and cracked the screen. Still - only 23 payments to go before its mine!! - cracked screen and all.
Only last week I was thinking - should I get it insured?... Oh well, that's life.

Fortunately everything is still working so I don't have to go and buy a new one yet.

Timpson's do screen repairs, allegedley cheaply
............Other shoe repair companies are available

austinbob

Quote from: daveg on July 01, 2015, 01:56:32 PM
Now, that is very sad AB.

If it's a big cost to fix is it not possible to claim on 'accidental damage' through household insurance?

Having suggested that please be careful as I understand even if you contact your insurer regarding a *potential* claim, that can go on your database record and affect future premiums!  :(

Dave G
I've been quoted between £160 and£220 to replace the screen. The glass is bonded to the display so they have to replace the complete assembly. That cost assumes they don't find anything else broken. So I decided to bite the bullet and buy another phone - which I am now typing this reply on.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

austinbob

Quote from: Only Me on July 01, 2015, 02:55:25 PM
I've fixed a few, heres how :--

http://www.etradesupply.com/blog/how-to-disassemble-lumia-930-for-repairing-cracked-screen/

Screens are available on Ebay.
Thanks for that... Unfortunately I have trouble just adjusting the pickups on my locos any attempt to take my phone apart would almost certainly result a bag of broken, expensive bits. I've bought a new one and will keep the broken one as a spare. :beers:

Bob Austin

austinbob

Bob Austin

austinbob

Quote from: Only Me on July 01, 2015, 04:42:22 PM
Quote from: austinbob on July 01, 2015, 04:12:54 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on July 01, 2015, 03:53:27 PM
I've fixed a few

How many have you dropped? :worried:
I like that post!! Cheered me up no end!!
:thankyousign:

Loads bowever being an iphone they very rarely break when dropped, usually snap when in back pocket and sit down ! :eek:
The last time I dropped a phone was down the loo. I bent over to pull me trousers up and it fell out of my shirt pocket into the loo. Fortunately I had already flushed it!!
It glowed very brightly for a few seconds and then expired - shortly followed by my bank balance... :hmmm:

Bob Austin

Portpatrick

Quote from: austinbob on July 01, 2015, 05:51:22 PM
Quote from: Only Me on July 01, 2015, 04:42:22 PM
Quote from: austinbob on July 01, 2015, 04:12:54 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on July 01, 2015, 03:53:27 PM
I've fixed a few

How many have you dropped? :worried:
I like that post!! Cheered me up no end!!
:thankyousign:

Loads bowever being an iphone they very rarely break when dropped, usually snap when in back pocket and sit down ! :eek:
The last time I dropped a phone was down the loo. I bent over to pull me trousers up and it fell out of my shirt pocket into the loo. Fortunately I had already flushed it!!
It glowed very brightly for a few seconds and then expired - shortly followed by my bank balance... :hmmm:

You're not the only one Bob.  I was washing the car and I bent down and the phone dropped into the bucket.  It never recovered.  However it was not an expensive smartphone.  I use cheapy PAYG with Virgin.  And replaced it with a Doro from Argos.  Larger keys which is helpful with my hand tremor.  I already had a tablet and hardly ever miss having no more than more than basics on the phone.  But what a daft thing to do!

Newportnobby

Oh dearie me - maybe the last 2 posts should be in the 'Clumsy thread' ;)
My Mum has just bought a Doro with the large keys etc and loves it. She especially likes the 'panic button' feature which will dial 3 nominated members of the family in succession until there's an answer. Only thing is - we all had to agree what action we should take if we got 'the call' :uneasy:

daveg

I purchased a similar Doro device for my aged Pater and it worked successfully.

That is, we put the contact numbers in and made a few 'are you receiving me ' type calls.

Said aged Pater dropped it from his hospital bed onto the hard  floor. It never worked again!  :doh:

As the old chap said 'Ah well, it's only money.' Bless!

Dave G

Bealman

Some  :censored: shunted the back of my brand new car while it was parked, and of course took off.  :veryangry:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

daveg

Darn it George!

Sorry to hear that but it does seem to be a universal tactic these days. Have had it done twice to me.

My niece had her new car scraped when parked outside her place. She nosed around the street and found a car with matching paint scrapes. Turned out to be a neighbour who 'hadn't noticed he'd done that.' She made little  :censored: pay up. Not to be meddled with is our Beth!

Dave G

Newportnobby

Sorry to hear that, George :(

I had a similar episode as Dave's niece 2 months after getting a new Ford Siesta but it was obvious it was the woman parked next to me in a car park as she had a corresponding scrape with my cars paint in it. She just refused on the grounds she hadn't done it, although she did give me her husband's phone number. When I called him he gave me a right rollicking for upsetting his wife and ended up saying I had no witnesses so could go  :censored: myself, something I find impossible not being a contortionist.
I took the car in to have the scrape repaired and paid £120 rather than even contact the insurance company as they place all such calls on your record. Needless to say I later ended up with the inevitable "We gather you've been involved in an accident........" type phone calls which can only have resulted from the repairer informing these leeches :veryangry:

Bealman

Yeah it's all a crock of you know what. To be honest, the damage ain't that bad,  but it's gonna cost me $500 to fix... which of course Mrs Bealman insists upon  :beers:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations