The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldun

Where is it and what's it all about ?

Here you go:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Manston+Airport/@51.3523066,1.356334,8655m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x47d952b65f8ad1eb:0x25806d69d8b574b1

The 'lady' owner put it up for sale, had some low offers and got a bit snooty about it.

Despite todays offer of the 'full asking price' she now refuses to sell it.

She is at the moment under the impression that she will be able to build houses on the
site. The local council/councillors say 'not a cat in hells chance'  :thumbsup:

Roger

Roger
Never take Life too serious, we are never going to make it out alive

Chocolate comes from cocoa which is a tree ... that makes it a plant which means ... chocolate is Salad !!!

Agrippa

Near Sandwich, there last year !  Is the airport working or just a desolate
strip of concrete, if so what's all the rumpus?
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

B757-236GT

Not angry but incredibly miffed. As some of you know i fly RC aircraft and as the weather today was so perfect it would be rude not to fly. Anyway a sucessful time was had this morning so i decided to go up again this afternoon. Got up there, set it up, took off and was flying around quite happily when it suddenly went to full power and went nose down into the ground. As it was a P47 Thunderbolt foamie it didnt stand much chance. The fuselage broke into three parts, snapped a gear strut and bent the prop back to about 80 degrees of where it should be. Why did it do it? Who knows, i can only assume some interferance although 2.4ghz is normally immune to it. Needless to say its now in the bin, £150 down the drain. I suppose thats why they have the saying "dont fly what you cant afford to crash"

[smg id=12438]
P47 (before i wrecked it) with the Apprentice which is a trainer!

Trouble is now do i get another P47 or do i go for the Spit or even a Mozzy asthey are all similar prices.

Richard
You want the truth, you cant handle the truth. Welcome to the Fox news channel. (Andy Parsons)

Oldun

Quote from: Agrippa on May 15, 2014, 07:29:50 PM
Near Sandwich, there last year !  Is the airport working or just a desolate
strip of concrete, if so what's all the rumpus?

Its a fully working airport with about 1500 people in total employed by the airport
and other flying related business's on site + outside interests. So, not only is it
closing but a lot of other business's are either going to have to re locate if they can,
or close down as well.

Local news web site:

http://www.kentnews.co.uk/news/manston_airport_shuts_as_new_offer_is_rejected_1_3601110

Roger
Never take Life too serious, we are never going to make it out alive

Chocolate comes from cocoa which is a tree ... that makes it a plant which means ... chocolate is Salad !!!

Calnefoxile

Manston Airport!!! Blimey it was still RAF Manston the last time I was there, mind you that was 1979 and I was a member of 1F City of Leicester Squadron ATC.

Bl00dy hell thats 35 years ago  :goggleeyes:  :goggleeyes:

Regards

Neal.

Agrippa

Thanks for info re Manston. let's hope it keeps going. By the way , what
size planes can it take ? Twin Cessnas etc or turboprop Bombardiers etc.

Bob Wild

Put my latest scalescenes building on the floor for 20 seconds. Dog jumped in  the moment my back was turned. I've now got scale dinosaur teeth marks in my engine shed!

longbridge

No problems Bob just kick his basket or kennel to pieces, he may get the message  :no:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

daveg

Quote from: Agrippa on May 16, 2014, 12:37:00 AM

I could take some pretty big kit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manston_Airport

Shame it had to/was made to close.

Dave G

Michael Shillabeer

Quote from: daveg on May 16, 2014, 07:03:13 AM
I could take some pretty big kit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manston_Airport
British Airways used it for Airbus A380 and Boeing Dreamliner 787 test flights and training.

It was also a designated emergency landing sight for the space shuttle (along with RAF Fairford)

Best regards
Michael

Calnefoxile

Quote from: Agrippa on May 16, 2014, 12:37:00 AM

You could land those type of aircraft across the runway, it was that big  :D

It was originally built to allow damaged bombers to land in relative safety on their way back from bombing raids during the war, as it was the first airfield the crews come across on their way back.

IIRC the runway is over 2 miles long which is why it was selected , as Micheal Shillabeer says, as an emergency landing site for the space shuttle.

Regards

Neal.

Agrippa

Took a look on Google Earth, there's an Airbus type plane on the runway, also what appears
to be a 4 engined airliner without engines parked in a side area.

javlinfaw7

There is also a large no of burnt out or damaged military aircraft including phantom jaguar nimrod buccaneer and harrier ,2 747 breaking with a smaller 4 engined airliner and what looks like a intact 707

guest311

If I remember correctly wasn't Manston the RAF Fire Service training centre at one time, would account for the a/c on the burning area

Bob Wild

Quote from: longbridge on May 16, 2014, 04:59:43 AM
No problems Bob just kick his basket or kennel to pieces, he may get the message  :no:

Actually, it's a "she" with big appealing eyes - but I can easily show it who is the boss.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations