Captain (now Colonel hon) Tom Moores !00th Birthday

Started by Mr Sprue, April 30, 2020, 09:21:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntpntpntp

Well, I've pre-ordered one of the Hornby 'Orribly 'Oversized 66s. 

It was a bit of a fight with the really slow and flaky website but finally got the order accepted late last night.    I don't expect to see it until November.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/gbrf-class-66-captain-tom-moore-a-true-british-inspiration.html
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

guest311

Quote from: javlinfaw7 on April 30, 2020, 01:58:01 PM
Army also doing a 2 helicopter flypast

typical, on the news last night, showed the spit and hurri, but no mention of the egg beaters  :'(

javlinfaw7

:'(Supposed to be a Wildcat and an Apache at a lower level but cannot see a report of it happening anywhere

acko22

Quote from: Hailstone on May 01, 2020, 12:53:09 PM
Quote from: njee20 on April 30, 2020, 01:21:19 PM
As has been suggested I'd definitely buy a model of that if it were going

Me too, I wonder if @acko22 could be persuaded to take this on given his previous experience?

Regards,

Alex

Sadly Alex as @njee20 suggests with me now been a Freightliner employee myself trying to tap up GBRf will probably not be of interest to them (it was hard enough to get them to the table when I was in the army even when I did technically break into their head office :bounce:) or do myself any favours with my bosses, then with my impending work load at home about to double it's not something I would find any time for either sadly.

But I have no doubt that either Farish or Dapol will do this loco may that be of their own choosing or a shop requesting them as a special addition.
On that note as long as the colours are done right I would hedge myself more towards Dapol as having seen it from the inside they have a faster turn around on liveries than Farish, so it may be worth people approaching Dapol on their forum and bombarding them there that they want that specific loco
Personally I don't generally pre-order either Farsih or Dapol models but for one of these I would bit the bullet! Even if the name on the Loco is techincally wrong as regardless of it been an Honour Tom Moore was a Colonel before GBRf unveil the name (only by a matter of hours publicly) !
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

RailGooner

Quote from: acko22 on May 01, 2020, 03:23:35 PM
Even if the name on the Loco is techincally wrong as regardless of it been an Honour Tom Moore was a Colonel before GBRf unveil the name (only by a matter of hours publicly) !

The plates are correct. Capt. Tom Moore is a Honorary Colonel of the Army Foundation College in Harrogate and ought only be addressed as "Colonel Tom Moore" when acting in that capacity. At all other times he remains Capt. Tom Moore. At least until the next Honours List, when if there's any justice, he'll be appointed "Capt. Sir Tom Moore".

acko22

Quote from: RailGooner on May 02, 2020, 12:54:41 PM
The plates are correct. Capt. Tom Moore is a Honorary Colonel of the Army Foundation College in Harrogate and ought only be addressed as "Colonel Tom Moore" when acting in that capacity. At all other times he remains Capt. Tom Moore. At least until the next Honours List, when if there's any justice, he'll be appointed "Capt. Sir Tom Moore".

Hate to say it you are incorrect He is officially a Colonel and carries the title with the honour it means he only has input regarding the Harrogate AFC and even then it is a ceremonial role, much in the way the prince are colonel in chiefs of Regiements when they both married they are the rank of Colonel and addressed as such.
Although funny enough Col Moore will be in the only man in the UK right now to see a pay rise as his pension goes up!
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

crewearpley40

I'm sure all would welcome tonights news re   
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52732300        Captain Sir Thomas Moore

chrism

Chris Morris

So - will they put a new updated nameplate on the class 66?
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Mr Sprue

Quote from: Chris Morris on May 20, 2020, 08:04:43 AM
So - will they put a new updated nameplate on the class 66?

LOL..... I bet they didn't want that to happen. Bugger! Got to open up all the boxes again.  :D

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations