Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mca0004

Brand new, I got them super cheap thanks to work.

I have to get a DCC chip for the loco from overseas though...

Bealman

That 31 is awesome. God, I love that livery!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Firstone18

Just purchased a WD 2-8-0 and I am very pleased with it. I had previously tried two Sonic 0-6-2s and a Schools 4-4-0 all of which were returned to Rails as poor runners. The 0-6-2s were erratic and even after 6+ hours of running would not start reliably from stationary. The Schools jammed its motion at random at slow speeds and could not be relied on to start off without this happening. From other forum comments it seems I may have been unlucky three times! After a lot of back-and-forth with Rails, I purchased a WD 2-8-0 from them as a final attempt to get a steam loco which performed properly and reliably. Out of the box it ran really well, and after an hour running in each direction was even better. I fitted a Zimo MX617N which is very easy due to the screw fixing of the tender body; no prizing off the body over clips risking damage. Using the basic speed control (Vmin=0, Vmid=100, and Vmax=200) it creeps at '1' on my PowerCab and will run through insul-frog points without hesitation. One set of drivers has traction tyres fitted but this still leaves 3 drivers and 4 tender wheels each side for power collection. There is plenty of room in the tender for a sound decoder and loudspeaker, so when funds permit I will fit sound to it.
IMO this is how all locos with 'complex' motion should perform.
Maybe I got lucky this time, or do GF use a different manufacturing facility in China with proper QA?
Cheers
:beers:
Finally, after waiting over 55 years I am building a permanent layout in a purpose built shed!

Newportnobby

Both a friend and myself each have a 'Dubdee' and they are great runners/lookers. His shed it's traction tyres but, sadly, he's not the best at handling/using his locos :(

mca0004

Quote from: Firstone18 on June 19, 2022, 09:39:43 AM
Just purchased a WD 2-8-0 and I am very pleased with it. I had previously tried two Sonic 0-6-2s and a Schools 4-4-0 all of which were returned to Rails as poor runners. The 0-6-2s were erratic and even after 6+ hours of running would not start reliably from stationary. The Schools jammed its motion at random at slow speeds and could not be relied on to start off without this happening. From other forum comments it seems I may have been unlucky three times! After a lot of back-and-forth with Rails, I purchased a WD 2-8-0 from them as a final attempt to get a steam loco which performed properly and reliably. Out of the box it ran really well, and after an hour running in each direction was even better. I fitted a Zimo MX617N which is very easy due to the screw fixing of the tender body; no prizing off the body over clips risking damage. Using the basic speed control (Vmin=0, Vmid=100, and Vmax=200) it creeps at '1' on my PowerCab and will run through insul-frog points without hesitation. One set of drivers has traction tyres fitted but this still leaves 3 drivers and 4 tender wheels each side for power collection. There is plenty of room in the tender for a sound decoder and loudspeaker, so when funds permit I will fit sound to it.
IMO this is how all locos with 'complex' motion should perform.
Maybe I got lucky this time, or do GF use a different manufacturing facility in China with proper QA?
Cheers
:beers:
I'm glad you got your loco! And the WD Austerity is a great little loco. Unfortunately it's unprototypically underpowered (can only run small-mid sized trains), but it still looks and runs great. It should have traction tires in my opinion though.

emjaybee

Quote from: Newportnobby on June 19, 2022, 11:10:33 AM
Both a friend and myself each have a 'Dubdee' ...

I believe there's a ointment for that.

(What's a 'Dubdee'?)
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Newportnobby

Quote from: mca0004 on June 19, 2022, 11:57:24 AM
And the WD Austerity is a great little loco. Unfortunately it's unprototypically underpowered (can only run small-mid sized trains), but it still looks and runs great. It should have traction tires in my opinion though.

I have no issues with mine and it pulls at least 30 four wheeled trucks. One pair of driving wheels (the rearmost I think) do have traction tyres.

Quote from: emjaybee on June 19, 2022, 12:16:39 PM

(What's a 'Dubdee'?)

Gricer's slang for 'WD'

emjaybee

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

gc4946

This morning my birthday treat arrived.

A Gaugemaster Collection/Dapol GM2210103 class 66, 66773 Pride of GB Railfreight
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

RailGooner

Quote from: gc4946 on June 25, 2022, 10:41:25 AM
A Gaugemaster Collection/Dapol GM2210103 class 66, 66773 Pride of GB Railfreight

NOICE.  :thumbsup: I'm torn between this and "Capt. Tom" which means I'll probably get both.

Safety Engineer

All this talk of Dubdees's and gricer's brings back memories of a gricers apprenticeship well served. Time spent on a luggage trolley at the platform end wearing tha statutory duffle coat with sandwiches in the duffle bag, Ian Allen gripped in hand, Ahh days well spent in one's far off youth until a distraction called girls came along.
If anything evokes the image of the steam era it's the sight of a Dubdee at the head of a long coal train, steam leaking from every joint slowly clanking past.
I think I could rightly claim to be a geriatric gricer.

Martin

Trainfish

Was it normal to dress up as Paddington bear then? There are some strange folk in 'Nam to be fair  :D
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Newportnobby

Quote from: Trainfish on June 25, 2022, 02:55:20 PM
Was it normal to dress up as Paddington bear then?

Martin did not mention marmalade at all :no:
If he remembers clanking Dubdees, then lunch was possibly cheese & onion sarnies (maybe cheese & tomato), a packet of Smiths crisps with salt in a blue wrapper in the bag, a Lyons individual fruit pie and all washed down with a small bottle of Tizer. All from the bottomless duffle bag, of course :D

Safety Engineer

Definitely cheese an tomato sarnies we're one of my mums culinary specialties, does anyone remember kia Ora orange drink in the waxed cartons.
As for holidays proper gricers would have quite happily spent a fortnight in either Crewe or York.
Suppose I was lucky as dad worked on the railway so we got cheap fares and as we never had a car travel was always by train with it's associated train spotting opportunities.
We always went to Cornwall for our annual holiday, many times I have spent the whole journey stood in the corridor (who rembers corridor coaches) six hours from memory.

Martin

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations